My Vinten Vision Blue comes today! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old July 21st, 2012, 10:13 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: My Vinten Vision Blue comes today!

Hi David, I have a Vinten Vision 3 that I will use with a Canon XF100. Since the 3 and the Blue weigh about the same and can both handle light pay loads, is there any point in getting the Blue? Seems like the 3 may be the better quality head. How do they compare in function and features?

Many thanks.

Len
Len Rosenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2012, 10:57 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Think I can answer that............

I have the Vision 3, 3 AS, Vb and Vb5 here currently, along with two sets of Vb sticks and a set of Vinten FibreTechs (oh, and others).

The major difference btween the V3 and the others is the continuously variable counterbalance, which is a godsend.

With the V3 you're stuck with the spring rates, which are, to be honest, not brilliant.

As for handling, pans, tilts etc, you'd have to be pretty anal to find any difference, quite frankly.

I can't think of any feature of the V3 (springs and body colour aside) that the others don't share, the drag system is the same, ditto bearings, ditto everything down to the lock levers.

If the V3 floats yer boat, go for it (I use mine for my HV20 dinky cam, simply remove the spring entirely, dial in about 4 tilt drag and it's good to go).

If it doesn't, step up to the the Vb. Whatever you do, unless you're shooting an I-Max system, don't go near the Vb5, that thing is just plain wicked, in that it requires the camera to weigh in at about 20lbs! (I jest).

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2012, 11:05 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Thanks Chris, that's great info. For what I'm recording, I can set it and forget it, so continuously variable resistance is nice but not necessary. I'll stick with the 3. What do you recommend for light weight legs, no spreader?

Len
Old July 21st, 2012, 11:53 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Ah, well, on that subject I'll have to remain zipped, as I have no personal experience with either light weight or spreaderless systems whatsoever.

One word or warning, however, if using the V3 (or any Vinten head for that matter) with another manufacturers sticks.

That 3 lobed clamp knob, with it's huge clamp cup, can lead to serious problems with some sticks with regard to levelling ability.

On most it would appear to work fine (-ish), on others the levelling can be reduced to practically nothing, as the clamp cup or knob hits the reciever underside and that's it, game over.

I have a set of Sachtler SpeedLock 75 CF's here, where the Vinten (and Libec RS250 head) can be fitted, but have zero, nix, nada adjustment whatsoever.

A set of Manfrotto 520 and 528XB sticks didn't fare an awefull lot better.

Watch out, it's dangerous out there!

CS
Old July 22nd, 2012, 12:23 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Thanks Chris. I replaced the clamp knob of the Vision 3 as soon as I got it, it's terrible. I use a straight knob from a Gitzo ball assembly, works great and lots of tilt room.
Old July 22nd, 2012, 12:49 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Soucy View Post
That 3 lobed clamp knob, with it's huge clamp cup, can lead to serious problems with some sticks with regard to levelling ability.
A set of Manfrotto 520 and 528XB sticks didn't fare an awefull lot better.

Watch out, it's dangerous out there!

CS
Hey Chris! Thanks for your info so far! I wanna ask if you've got any experience with the Manfrotto 535 / "Gitzo-ish" legs and vinten heads? I just bought my Vinten VB and somewhere in the future I might want to get a single-tube leg for travel. Thought that the 535's might work.
Zexun Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2012, 09:37 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Hi, Zexun..........

I can't say from any personal experience anything about the 535's, never even seen one.

However, Len seems to have solved the biggest compatability problem with the Vinten head, ergo, the clamp knob, by replacing it with a Gitzo unit.

May work for you, may not, simply can't say.

Can't even get access to Gitzo stuff here, there's simply no market for it, so I'm never going to be able to independently verify the veracity of that claim, though I have no reason to doubt it (and no, I can't see me importing anything from wherever just to verify a perfectly valid claim!).

Guess you're simply gonna have to suck it and see if you like the taste.

Good luck.

BTW, how's the military suiting you? Nah, maybe you'd better not comment.

CS
Old July 29th, 2012, 05:50 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Hey Chris,

Thanks for the reply, I guess Len did get to solve the problem! It's been a tough journey so far but I'm still in one piece after BMT ;) Sucks to not have enough time to do any creative work I want though!

Cheers,
Zexun
Zexun Tan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads