sachtler ace with cineslider at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old September 9th, 2012, 01:45 PM   #1
Regular Crew

sachtler ace with cineslider

hi there
I have ordered and paid for a sachtler ace but I think i may have made a decision too early as I am looking to get a slider for some work that I need to do. This is the model I am looking Atlas FLT Camera Slider ; it has a weight of about 5 lbs . Would this be ok along with canon xf100 (2.5 lbs) any advice
thanks
Barry Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2012, 01:19 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: sachtler ace with cineslider

Hmmm... "not sure" is the exact answer, but let's speculate!

I have Vinten Vision Blue, a Sony NX70 and a Glidetrack SD. Give or take a few grams, my slider and camera weigh the same as yours. The VB head is rated for around 2-5kg (4 to 10lbs, approx). Using a Manfrotto 501HDV head on the Glidetrack to mount the camera on it.

I found that mounting the slider directly on the tripod head was a bad idea. Once you go too far from the centre, the forces on the tripod head are too much and it will tilt, (even with the tilt brake on). If you think about it, it's not what the tripod was designed to do - i.e., supporting 2lbs of camera and half a slider two feet from the centre of the tripod head.

If I use the slider, which isn't often, I remove the tripod head entirely, and mount the slider directly to the tripod bowl using one of these: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/553993-REG/Manfrotto_520BALL_520BALL_75mm_Half_Ball.html

That seems to work for me. Of course, you can't pan/tilt the tripod head with the slider on it, but there you go.

Other tripods may vary, that's just my experience.
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2012, 02:39 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Ah, Mike................

You sound more like me than me, and braver to boot.

No way I was venturing into that mire, no win situation, par excellence. Well done.

Amazing.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2012, 04:44 AM   #4
Major Player

I'm interested in what you are saying Mike, although I don't have a bowl tripod, I was planning to integrate a simple tilt head between my sticks and slider.

My theory was that it would allow horizontal to be adjusted without adjusting the tripod legs. Also, if tilted the full way over it would flatten the whole tripod and slider down straight for transport.

Do you think adding a tilt like this:
Monopod Tilt Head VGI234 - | Manfrotto

Would result it instability on my slider?
Clive McLaughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2012, 06:23 AM   #5
Trustee

Clive,

Easy answer: I've no idea! Less-easy answer: (as usual) it depends, so nobody can stop me speculating! It depends on how heavy the slider is and how heavy the camera is.

That's a pretty lightweight head, I'm not sure how much use it would be at supporting a slider. Even on my Vinten, mounting the slider directly to the bowl adapter doesn't really give me a leveller, just a way to securely mount the slider. (It's actually been so long since I used it, I can't quite remember).

You do need a good set of tripod legs to keep a slider under control and stop unwanted movement. I keep seeing photos of them on a Velbon tripod, and wondering just how on earth they can possibly be solid enough.
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2012, 04:54 PM   #6
Regular Crew

just got the ace. little bit lighter and not as steady as thought. handy case though
Barry Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2012, 09:54 PM   #7
Major Player

Can you throw a monopod on the end of the slider to help the ace take the weight/leverage?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads