Mid-Level Spreader For Old Vinten Pro-Touch PT520 Tripod at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old October 2nd, 2012, 09:10 AM   #1
Major Player

Mid-Level Spreader For Old Vinten Pro-Touch PT520 Tripod

Recently acquired a PT520. Cannot get any information apart from Vinten advising that its at least 10 years old.

I'm after a mid-level spreader, and Vinten say none of their current models will fit. There appears to be an unusual spreader mount on the tripod, rather like the spring end of a safety pin made of strong wire. Presumably something once clipped onto this.

Has anybody any experience of this tripod and any experience of a suitable spreader. Seems to me it might be possible to find a way of fitting say a Manfrotto spreader.

Ron
Ronald Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2012, 12:37 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Mid-Level Spreader For Old Vinten Pro-Touch PT520 Tripod

Hey, Ronald............

I can't find any info on the PT520, certainly what the MLS attachment points look like.

You might get lucky with someone who has what you're after, but if not, care to send us some (very detailed closeup) piccies of said attachment points?

I can't picture them from what you have described, and as the saying goes "a picture is worth a thousand words" or sommat similar.

Hint: get 'em in focus and up close and personal.

I might be able to suggest a suitable alternative if I but knew what I was dealing with.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2012, 05:50 AM   #3
Major Player

Chris,

Thanks for replying, I thought you might! How do I attach a JPG? I have one on my desk-top ready to go,

Ron
Old October 3rd, 2012, 05:58 AM   #4
Trustee

Ron,

Click the Manage Attachments button (scroll down below the typing area when you reply). A popup window will appear and you can upload all sorts of files there. Then they should just appear in your reply once you submit it.

I found some sources online which show the PT520 as the tripod for the older Protouch 5 tripods. It looks pretty much like a standard Poziloc tripod, but obviously this would need to be checked in case there's some detail I can't see in the general photos.
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2012, 07:51 AM   #5
Major Player

Here goes,hope the attachments show up

Ron

Last edited by Ronald Jackson; October 3rd, 2012 at 07:52 AM. Reason: delete, no attachments!!!!!!
Old October 3rd, 2012, 08:00 AM   #6
Major Player

Another go at uploading,

Ron
Old October 3rd, 2012, 02:13 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Ah, the dreaded "why doesn't the upload work" problem rears its head.

Small detail Mike left out, when you click on the "Manage Attachments" button, it opens (well, it does on my machine) as a thumbnail.

All very well for listing the files you want to upload, EXCEPT, unless you make the thumbnail full screen, you can't see the "Upload" button waaaaay over on the RHS.

Don't click on that, the files won't upload, simple as that. It will tell when it's done the business, after which you simply kill the page.

If it still won't work for some reason, fire 'em to me in a mail and I'll put 'em up for you (simply click on my name in any post and go to er, what's it called, heck, it's in there somewhere, just have a good look around?).

CS
Old October 4th, 2012, 10:30 PM   #8
Major Player

Have sent a "help" e-mail to Chris. A bit, a little bit, amused to be told by two Vinten men that my PT520 was made over ten years ago and is "obsolete". Doesn't look that much different to a current tripod of similar spec and its got a Vision 6 head on it. My Landrover Defender is 10 years old but old, not obsolete and it bloody well works as it always has!

Obsolete might perhaps more apply to cameras and computers and electronics etc etc rather than purely mechanical hardware.

Ron
Old October 5th, 2012, 10:25 AM   #9
Trustee

Ron,

If it helps, here's two pictures of the spreader and the attachment on the tripod leg on my Vision Blue. I believe it's a standard Poziloc tripod, and I've seen the spreader available as a spare somewhere.
Attached Thumbnails
Mid-Level Spreader For Old Vinten Pro-Touch PT520 Tripod-img_3776.jpg   Mid-Level Spreader For Old Vinten Pro-Touch PT520 Tripod-img_3779.jpg  

Old October 5th, 2012, 02:42 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Gentlemen.............

The Eagle Has Landed.

[OK, I have the photo's, anyway]

The PT520 is a standard Manfrotto 520 (precursor of the 525's) set of sticks, rebranded with a Vinten monicker.

I just happen to have a set cowering in a cupboard somewhere, complete with clip on mid level spreader.

Yep, they'd have to be well over 10 years old, I'm pretty sure I've had mine for over 12.

I simply don't know whether Manfrotto still make/ sell the appropriate MLS, I'll let you figure that one out, but those leg lock clips and MLS attachment "things" stick out like a sore thumb.

Even the GLS is a standard Manfrotto.

I had a sneaky suspicion with the "520" thing, but thought, nah, can't be that simple. But it was.

CS

PS: Here's what the spreader looks like in person: Whoops, Top and Underside are the wrong way round, sorry about that.

PPS: They worked OK for SD when I was shooting my XL 1s, but my leap to HD 7 years ago did for them in very short order, which is how I ended up with Vinten. Kinda spooky to see "Vinten" written on them. No wonder no one at Vinten wanted to own up to them, can't blame them.

PPPS: If my eyes don't deceive me, the spreader would appear to be a 531 SPRB and is still listed on the Manfrotto (USA) web site.
Attached Thumbnails
Mid-Level Spreader For Old Vinten Pro-Touch PT520 Tripod-manfrotto-520s-1.jpg   Mid-Level Spreader For Old Vinten Pro-Touch PT520 Tripod-manfrotto-520s-2.jpg  

Mid-Level Spreader For Old Vinten Pro-Touch PT520 Tripod-manfrotto-520s-3.jpg   Mid-Level Spreader For Old Vinten Pro-Touch PT520 Tripod-manfrotto-520s-4.jpg  

Mid-Level Spreader For Old Vinten Pro-Touch PT520 Tripod-top.jpg   Mid-Level Spreader For Old Vinten Pro-Touch PT520 Tripod-underside.jpg  

Mid-Level Spreader For Old Vinten Pro-Touch PT520 Tripod-latch.jpg  

Last edited by Chris Soucy; October 5th, 2012 at 06:53 PM. Reason: +
Old October 5th, 2012, 11:02 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Jackson View Post
Have sent a "help" e-mail to Chris. A bit, a little bit, amused to be told by two Vinten men that my PT520 was made over ten years ago and is "obsolete". Doesn't look that much different to a current tripod of similar spec and its got a Vision 6 head on it. My Landrover Defender is 10 years old but old, not obsolete and it bloody well works as it always has!

Obsolete might perhaps more apply to cameras and computers and electronics etc etc rather than purely mechanical hardware.

Ron
Ron, you might find this interesting - written only 2 weeks ago! - Foxvideo Productions: Vinten tripod?....sorry, it's obsolete!
Old October 6th, 2012, 01:46 AM   #12
Major Player

Thanks to everyone and particularly to Chris for identifying the pod. Pity Vinten couldn't be bothered to do so, they must have records of "their" kit, even if badged Manfrotto. I also found the spreader on sale here in the UK so "voila"!

Talking of the Vitec group, I once had a run in with the Gitzo UK servicing people about a tripod head that needed servicing, G1380 I think. They were slow to the point of apathy so I found out the contact details for the Vitec plc Company Secretary and e-mailed her with a winge. She stirred the Gitzo people up no end and I got my head back pronto and no charge.

Ron
Old October 6th, 2012, 03:20 AM   #13
Trustee

It looks like the photos I found online (UK-based equipment hire people) don't know their Protouch from their elbow then... thanks to Chris for clearing it up! And glad that it worked out for you in the end, Ron.
Old October 6th, 2012, 04:29 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Hey, guys........

A bit of a word to the wise, so to speak.

The only two companies servicing the top end of the camera support market, without going into "you must be joking" territory, are Vinten and Sachtler.

Neither Gitzo or Manfrotto are part of the same arm of the "Group".

I'm on first name terms with both Peter at Vinten, and Barbara at Sachtler (respective Product Managers).

If you have a problem with any Vinten or Sachtler product, you do the following:

1. You fire a mail to either Peter, Vinten ( Peter.Harman@VitecGroup.com ) or Barbara, Sachtler ( Barbara.Jaumann@VitecGroup.com)

2. You post here and get me on the case. There's stuff I can do that they simply can't, and vice versa.

In case anyones wondering, nope, no paycheck coming this way from either, mores the pity, I could bloody well use one.

Anybody?

Ronald, glad it's all worked out with your PT520.

Dave, you might want to contact me or Peter, sounds like a bit of TLC might be in order, though whether that's for you or the afflicted head is an unknown.

CS
Old October 18th, 2012, 10:42 PM   #15
Major Player

Chris, thanks for the contact. Peter indeed tried for me but it seems spare parts are non-existent. After a few emails back and forth, Vinten offered me an ex-demo 5 AS at a reasonable price, so I went for it.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads