DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Tripod Sticks & Heads (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/)
-   -   is this the best moderately priced tripod (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/511866-best-moderately-priced-tripod.html)

Kris Zimbelman November 3rd, 2012 10:41 PM

is this the best moderately priced tripod

on the market?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/822105-REG/Sachtler_1002_Ace_M_Fluid_Head.html
Seems to do what is necessary and at a price point of $535.

Chris Soucy November 4th, 2012 01:47 AM

Re: is this the best moderately priced tripod

Well, Kris.........

looks like you may be in a position to tell us, if you buy it.

I've never seen it in the flesh and ain't likely to, so an independent buyers view would be invaluable.

Let us know how you get on with it, if you push the button, I'm intrigued.

CS

Mike Beckett November 4th, 2012 10:26 AM

The complaints I read about the original Sachtler Ace were mainly around the legs and the sub-optimal feet (those wee round red rubber balls) which in my opinion are worthless.

This kit, with the ground level spreader, should get round any problems there. I've only heard good things about the head itself, bearing in mind it is designed for small cameras and is relatively cheap.

Greg Clark November 4th, 2012 11:01 AM

If it doesn't have a mid spreader it is useless for me.

Mike Beckett November 4th, 2012 12:14 PM

There is a mid level spreader version of the Ace as well, but it does have the less-than-ideal feet.

Donald McPherson November 4th, 2012 02:29 PM

Probably the cheapest best is the Fancier270a.

Chris Hsiung November 4th, 2012 06:43 PM

I have one of these for my DSLR. The head is really nice for its price class. Easy to use counterweights, smooth controlled panning. But it won't be able to handle big cameras. Sandbags help though. The legs you're right aren't the best. The nubs at the end cause some vibration at the long end of zooms. However you can screw them in and spikes come out which are great for outdoor use but not indoor. It doesn't go as high or as low as I would like it. But overall for the price I'm happy with a decent fluid head and comparatively lightweight body.

Oh and I'm using the one with the mid-level spreader. I shot outdoors sometimes in awkward positions where a bottom spreader would get in the way.

Hope that helps.
Chris

Mike Beckett November 5th, 2012 01:16 AM

Chris,

Just to be clear, you're lacking about the Sachtler Ace, right? Not the Fancier?

Ryan Wallis November 6th, 2012 11:28 PM

I'm totally confused about what tripod to get and the ACE had been suggested but the legs put me off.

I've seen many similar comments in reviews. I have a bigger budget but if I could save I would but not if its a big compromise!

Paul Wood November 8th, 2012 04:16 AM

I've had the Ace with the mid-level spreader since it came out in Europe, and am very pleased with it - yes it has its shortcomings, as described above, but for me its main use is as a lightweight travel tripod for my NX70 and it performs well in this camera weight bracket.

The legs could be better, but the fluid head performs well, is easy to set up and use. I think at its price, it is one of the best around - remembering that your camera and rig has to be within its recommended weight - it disappoints when used with my FS100 rig, but that is what I expected !

I would certainly buy one again.

Zexun Tan November 8th, 2012 08:57 AM

I tried the Sachtler ACE, Sachtler FSB-6, Sachtler Cine DSLR and Vinten Vision Blue (and old Vision 3).

As far as the ACE goes, it's similar to the handling of the Cine DSLR but it's bearings aren't as smooth, but the counterbalance systems are similar. It's nowhere near that of the Vinten's perfect balance, or the 10 stepped CB of the CineDSLR, but for the price, I wouldn't complain much.

Had it for a week on loan from Vitec to try, and brought it back after three shoots that went pretty well.

Kris Zimbelman November 8th, 2012 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan Wallis (Post 1762473)
I'm totally confused about what tripod to get and the ACE had been suggested but the legs put me off.

I've seen many similar comments in reviews. I have a bigger budget but if I could save I would but not if its a big compromise!

if you're willing to go $1164 (speaking from a middle class perspective, no longer moderately priced ), This tripod has been very well reviewed.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/734609-REG/Vinten_VB_AP2M_VB_AP2M_Camera_Support_System.html

Rob Cantwell November 8th, 2012 07:50 PM

i've been pondering this question too, I almost ordered a Manfrotto 504HD,546GBK last night, the reason i was leaning towards that was so that i could use the same plate on this as is on my glidetrack which has a501 HD on it, however after checking in to DVINFO i think i'll heed the warnings and go for something with a bit more quality.

I have a second hand Libec LS-38 (2A) (LS38) HDV Fluid Head Tripod system that works pretty well, i was looking at a used bec LS-60 (LS60) Tripod Kit includes Tripod Legs, Head, floor Spreader and Case - would this be much of an improvement?
also was eying up a new Vinten VB-AP2M System with Vision Blue Head (V4092-0001), Two-Stage Aluminium Pozi-Loc Tripod (3819-3), Mid-Level Spreader & Case
is there much difference between mid level spreader and floor?

I'm considering the Vinten although it's beyond the budget at the moment, i'd need to save for some time before i could afford it! But i do think that buying cheap is not the way to go!!

Kris Zimbelman November 8th, 2012 11:33 PM

Sir,
in response to your question you should ask yourself how often do you miss the “money shot”? I took a look at your website, so I understand you do this for a living. Ask yourself this question. If you had a better, smoother tripod that made your job easier, how much more enthusiastically would you receive business opportunities? I have shot weddings myself, with less than ideal equipment and circumstances. But it was always for friends or relatives and I never charged anybody. If I was doing it for money, I would want things like camera stabilization and sound pickup to be as hassle free as possible. Could you sell some of your old equipment to free up the cash?

Ryan Wallis November 11th, 2012 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kris Zimbelman (Post 1762650)
if you're willing to go $1164 (speaking from a middle class perspective, no longer moderately priced ), This tripod has been very well reviewed.
Vinten VB-AP2M Vision Blue System with Mid Level Spreader

Thanks Kris

I had a look at your suggestion and it sounded like a good tripod. After reading more reviews on the ACE I decided to go for my preferred (more expensive) option and ordered the Miller DS5. It arrived two days later and is fantastic. Cant wait to get it out and use it....

Its a lot more expensive than the ACE at $1200 AUS but I saw it as a long term investment and as something I'll use a lot, it will pay its way soon enough!