Can I put a panoramic still camera head on Vinten sticks? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old December 19th, 2012, 10:49 PM   #1
Major Player

Can I put a panoramic still camera head on Vinten sticks?

Hi all.

I have a Vinten Vision Blue tripod. I'm trying to figure out what I'd need to get, so that I could use my legs with a panoramic head. From what I can tell, stick designed for still photo use, have a center column with a threaded screw up top, and the still camera head just screws onto it.

I'm wondering if anyone knows if there's a 75mm ball column thing, that if I removed my VB head, I could put on my sticks, then screw the panoramic head onto. My Vinten sticks are pretty weighty and I need a good sturdy base for what I want to do.

Anyone know anything bout this, or does it even make sense what I'm asking?

Trying to figure how I could my Vinten sticks with this 360 precision adjuste head

360Precision - Products | Adjuste | 360Precision Adjuste production information

Thanks for the help,
Jeff
Old December 19th, 2012, 11:27 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Can I put a panoramic still camera head on Vinten sticks?

Maybe I found my solution.

I have these legs (with the VB head)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/615665-REG/Vinten_3819_3_3819_3_Pozi_Loc_Aluminum_Tripod.html

Would this fit onto those legs?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/553993-REG/Manfrotto_520BALL_520BALL_75mm_Half_Ball.html
Thanks for the help,
Jeff
Old December 19th, 2012, 11:54 PM   #3
Inner Circle

That 75mm half-ball is exactly what you need, assuming a 3/8" x 16tpi threaded socket on the bottom of your panorama head.

There are a few approaches to this though, you could also put a camera plate on the bottom of your pano head and put the whole thing on top of your existing video head for $2.50, use one of these:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/769749-REG/Oben_OB_1039_3_8_16_to_1_4_20_Reducer.htmlto adapt the 1/4" screw on the tripod plate to the 3/8" socket on the pano head.

But, yes, if you're going to do this a lot the half-ball solution will work more easily, having a lower center of gravity it will be easier to level. Level is extremely important in pano work... I've got a small torpedo level and a large bulls-eye level, both from my local home center, about $14 for the two of them.
Old December 20th, 2012, 12:18 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Question asked and answered, got it in one, well done, Jeff.

(Just in case that came across as "sarky", it wasn't, I do like to see people here answer their own questions with some investigation and maybe, just a bit of help from previous posts here, whatever.)

I just came across this "asked and answered" post, so haven't been waiting in the wings for this, not quite my style.

I do, however, think the general level of expertise and knowledge on camera support here on DVinfo has risen dramatically in the last 5 years, as seen in the quality of the questions and answers that appear here.

No, I don't think it's got anything to do with me, but it's sure great to see.

Bloody long way from where it was 5 years ago, when it was, quite simply, dire!

Once again, great to see you cracked it on your own, Jeff.

"You're gonna put me outa business, hey, maybe I get the boys to pay you a visit and show you whose boss around here, huh?"

"OK, folks, nothing to see here, just move along, simply another camera support murder, nothing new"

As if.

Still looking for a "me" replacement, you up for it?

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2012, 12:42 AM   #5
Major Player

Thank you Seth!

And no problem at all Chis. I had browsed through the "still photo" tripod section of B&H's website, and wasn't seeing a solution. So I jumped on here and posted. Then I thought, well maybe I should look in the "video tripod" section. Since my legs are video legs.

Another reason I posted, thought I remembered reading in another thread, sometime ago. Someone was asking about using another manufactures head on Vinten legs, or a vinten head on someone else's legs (can't remember which). And I seem to think I remember there was some sort of conflict. And wasn't sure if that 75mm half ball would run in to that same issue.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads