DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Tripod Sticks & Heads (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/)
-   -   Dovetail for OConnor (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/514001-dovetail-oconnor.html)

Sabyasachi Patra February 3rd, 2013 01:02 AM

Dovetail for OConnor

I am looking for a dovetail for my OConnor 1030 HDs fluid head. At times when I add a teleconverter to my 400mm f2.8 L I SUSM lens, I feel I need to push it further ahead. With the Canon 1D Mark IV camera it is fine, but with the heavier Canon C300 camera I feel the need of a dovetail. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Chris Soucy February 4th, 2013 11:42 PM

Re: Dovetail for OConnor

Total Ignorance Alert!

What is a "dovetail" and what does it do and why, exactly?

CS

Steven Turner February 5th, 2013 06:05 AM

Hi,

Due to the problems faced with shooting cinestyle (changing lenses, mattboxes, follow focuses, battery's etc.) We realised our customers would need more fore and aft adjustment to balance their payload.

The latest versions of this head (1030D and 1030DS) now ship with an extra, quick release, slide plate assembly (OConnor part number C1248-1001).

This fits into the existing dovetail and then holds an additional slideplate with further fore an aft adjustment. It was designed to be able to fit the old 1030HD.

Would this help with your problem?

Regards,

Steven Turner
Product Manager - OConnor

Charles Papert February 5th, 2013 10:47 AM

Steven:

Can you post pictures or link to same of the improved part? Also--will it work with older 1030's like the B? (I have the full-size Euro plate top)

Steven Turner February 5th, 2013 03:11 PM

Hi,

Have no access to drawings but am certain the 'B' had the same size dovetail.
All you need to do is remove the platform stop screw through the access hole, then re-fit the screw through the access hole in the new assembly.

I have limited access to my files and will be in LA on business for the next week but you can see the new plate on top of the 1030D head on the ocon.com website.

Hope this helps?

Steve

Peter Harman February 6th, 2013 03:05 AM

Chris, Dovetail = Camera Mounting Plate. The name comes from the shape of the slot it works in.

Sabyasachi Patra February 6th, 2013 03:19 AM

Hi,
I got this link to a dovetail from Element Technica : Arri Dovetail 1030 - 12"
I guess this can be attached to the europlate (I have the mini europlate) and the lens/camera combo moved front or back.

I am wondering if the RRS or some other clamp will fit this dovetail and to the bottom of my lens.

For short lenses it is easier to use a baseplate attached to the base of the C300.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Sabyasachi Patra May 4th, 2013 12:10 AM

I had forgot to update this thread. Now that there is a break from shooting for a couple of weeks, I can do all these updates.

I finally bought the Wooden Camera Arri style dovetail. I got an 18 inch one. I have fixed it to the small euro plate quick release. So no changes to my existing 1030 HDs (older one) fluid head. No change in any platform. 2060/2575/120EX Dovetail (18) - ARRI Style Dovetail

There are two locking pins at both the ends of the dovetail, so there is no fear of the camera lens sliding and falling off. The weight is 2.4 pounds.

Also bought a bridge plate 19mm which smoothly slides over the 18 inch dovetail.

This was my first purchase from Wooden Camera. Expensive. Especially since we pay 28% duty for this in India. With cheapers cameras, I wonder till when these prices will remain high.

The quality however looks good to me and that was my main priority.

Some of these products look very similar to the ones in Element Technica which has now been bought by RED. I wonder whether they are machined at the same facility. No idea. Just guessing.

Other applications of the dovetail: 1) Use it as a slider for 5-7 seconds take with a short lens, indie style. I haven't tried it for any short slider movement, but if one wants then it can happen for a few seconds without jerks. When excessively shaky handheld footage is in vogue, why not some jerks. Sorry couldn't help it. 2) Use the dovetail for self protection. :)

Cons: Since this is a piece of metal, the weight goes up. In flights its your wallet which feels the pinch of excess baggage, and during long treks all parts of your body. :)