Sachtler Ace L or Vinten Blue? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old April 18th, 2013, 10:25 AM   #1
Tourist

Sachtler Ace L or Vinten Blue?

I have done professional photography for 15 years but am new to video. I have a Canon XF300 which, with a video light, is just under 7 lbs. I've read everything I can find about these two systems and have been anxiously awaiting some legitimate review of the new Sachtler Legs. I'm assuming the head will be great. Both of these seem appropriate for my setup. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find anywhere in this area to see them so am relying solely on reviews. At the moment but Vinten seems preferable to me but the lighter weight of the carbon fiber legs on the new Sachtler are tempting if they actually work properly. Any input would be seriously appreciated. I hate buying equipment I later regret.
David Sytsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2013, 11:19 AM   #2
Wrangler

Re: Sachtler Ace L or Vinten Blue?

I have a Vision 3, a Vision Blue, and the original Sachtler Ace with the not-so-good legs. The Ace head is pretty good for the price and I use it, but IMO the Vision Blue is absolutely perfect for an XF300/305. More expensive but worth it. Once you put your camera on a Blue, you will never have regrets.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2013, 11:44 AM   #3
Tourist

Good to hear from someone with both systems. Very valuable input. From reading the posts that was the impression I was getting but it almost seems like discussing religion. Both options seem to have their fervent supporters.
Old April 18th, 2013, 04:33 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Hi David..............

You need have no regrets, with either system, because there's no need to buy untried.

Fire a mail to both: Barbara.Jaumann@VitecGroup.com (She's the Product Manager for Sachtler, Germany) and Andrew.Butler@VitecGroup.com (He's the Product Manager for Vinten, UK)

Ask them both for a free trial of your chosen system, they should turn up with little delay and there's no obligation involved.

Then you can have a play with both, in your own time, make up your mind and then tells us which one you plumped for and why.

Easy, and yes, really, it's free.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2013, 05:29 PM   #5
Tourist

Chris: Thanks for the information. I just purchased the Vinten Blue setup. I narrowed it down to these two and I can't see that I'd regret either.
Old April 19th, 2013, 10:07 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Great choice. Vision Blue owner here, and I had a heck of a headache deciding between ACE M, other sachtlers and the VB. So glad I got the VB after comparing it to 2 sachtler ACE-Ms i got to rent for free for a production.
Zexun Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2013, 04:30 PM   #7
Inner Circle

I've got the Vinten 3AS. Love it.

That said, if I were to replace it, I'd go with the Blue. The weight range is just right for me. I'd lose the quick release plate but save some cash.
Old May 2nd, 2013, 09:53 PM   #8
New Boot

I am very happy with the results and the performance of the ACE L tripod and head. It was lent to me by Sachtler and I plan to buy one.

I am producing what is expected to be a broadcast doc on national healthcare.
Just finished shooting a reenactment of an actual event during which the husband of the Dean of a major nursing college has a stroke while waiting to board a plane at O'Hare Airport in Chicago. It may well be the opening scene of the program and will definitely be part of the trailer. You can see why I wanted it to be very high value production.

I shoot lots of verite' docs myself. For this scene I hired an outstanding DP because he will make it look great. His comment on the Sachtler tripod: "It is clearly the best lightweight tripod available. I have used many of the other tripods in this class. The Sachtler is the only one I want on the job."

My take on the ACE L: It is light weight and quick to setup for two-man, fast action documentary work. It is smooth and responsive for executing careful moves on photographs and artwork. It has been exactly what I and my DP needed in every situation we encountered. Still testing? Nope, I am sold.

Does the ACE L have any shortcomings? Well, actually it did come up short in one way. We were using a Dana Dolly on the airport shoot. The threaded bolt in the bottom of the head that goes through the tripod bowl was not long enough to make the connection. We had to use another manufacturer's head when using the dolly.

In every other way, I love this setup.
Ron
Ron Kanter is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads