Need a tripod that can handle up to 70kg weight at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old May 12th, 2013, 12:52 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Need a tripod that can handle up to 70kg weight

Need a heavy duty tripod that can handle up to 70kg in weight with an option to also attach it to a dolly.

Any recommendations?

Don't want to spend a load of $$$ on it as I already have 2 tripods and this is to be used for a jib

Thanks
Syeed Ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2013, 01:27 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Need a tripod that can handle up to 70kg weight

Have you checked out the one Kessler makes? It will easily handle that much weight. I have one for my jib.
Old May 12th, 2013, 04:21 PM   #3
Inner Circle

You might also look at a set of these:

Manfrotto 528XB Heavy-Duty 1-Stage Tripod Legs (Black) - 528XB

I know it says they are rated to 110lbs, but I can assure you, they'll take way more than that.

What is not mentioned anywhere, even on the Manfrotto site, is that the inner legs of these sticks are drilled at regular intervals to allow the insertion of 8mm thick steel pins, which are tethered to the end of each outer leg by thin flexible steel cables.

The shear strength of those pins is truly astonishing and you'd have to apply a couple of tons to get them to fail.

If you can find a set second hand they'd do the job nicely.

They mate with the 114 Heavy Duty dolly nicely:

Video/Movie Heavy Dolly 114 - Dollies And Spreaders | Manfrotto

This is the rig I use for my B.Hague K12 jib. http://www.b-hague.co.uk/hague_multi_jib_k12.htm

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2013, 05:59 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Medico View Post
Have you checked out the one Kessler makes? It will easily handle that much weight. I have one for my jib.
I know someone who has the Kessler version and it doesn't work well with a Polecam. Plus, shipping costs to UK are too high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Soucy View Post
You might also look at a set of these:

Manfrotto 528XB Heavy-Duty 1-Stage Tripod Legs (Black) - 528XB

I know it says they are rated to 110lbs, but I can assure you, they'll take way more than that.

What is not mentioned anywhere, even on the Manfrotto site, is that the inner legs of these sticks are drilled at regular intervals to allow the insertion of 8mm thick steel pins, which are tethered to the end of each outer leg by thin flexible steel cables.

The shear strength of those pins is truly astonishing and you'd have to apply a couple of tons to get them to fail.

If you can find a set second hand they'd do the job nicely.

They mate with the 114 Heavy Duty dolly nicely:

Video/Movie Heavy Dolly 114 - Dollies And Spreaders | Manfrotto

This is the rig I use for my B.Hague K12 jib. Hague Multi-Jib K12

CS
I was looking at that tripod yesterday. Thanks for the info, looks like I'll get that one.

Which head are you using with it?
Syeed Ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2013, 02:28 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I don't use a head with the 528XB, as the Hague jibs act as their own.

The jib central pivot tower base has both 100 mm and 75 mm projections which engage in the bowl of any 100 mm or 75 mm half bowl tripod and they have their very own 3/8" clamp bolt and knob.

It means the jib is fully supported (and clamped to) the entire tripod receiver, which is far safer than having it bolted to a pan/ tilt head by one poxy 1/4" X 20 screw in a QR plate.

The pivot assembly contains it's own pan/ tilt bearings (and very good they are too!), it's a great system.

Makes for an extremely safe and stable system, though, that said, being such a large jib, inattention can get you into heaps of trouble exceedingly quickly, though you do tend to make the really stupid mistakes just the once.

CS

Last edited by Chris Soucy; May 13th, 2013 at 03:53 PM. Reason: +
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2013, 02:44 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks Chris.

Going to get the Kessler Hercules head with a 100mm bowl.
Syeed Ali is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads