Tripod head recommendations for XA20 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old November 24th, 2013, 10:14 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: Tripod head recommendations for XA20

I recommend (and use myself) a Sachtler FSB-4 for an XA20. B&H lists the weight at 4.2 lbs for the head. This is a true fluid head. The XA 20 yields HD footage, which will show poor pans and tilts.

I use Gitzo carbon fiber legs with a 75mm bowl. Very light, yet stiff and strong, without the problems that Chris S. has pointed out with the Sachtler CF "quick set-up legs.
Richard D. George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2013, 11:50 AM   #17
Trustee

Wow, lots of good feedback on this topic. Thanks to all that have chimed in.
Alastair, yes the pan has always been very tight. Maybe the tolerances between the two surfaces are too close & that is making the pan movement as tight as it is? I think I will try out a different viscosity damping grease & see how that works, then if all else fails, I could machine one of the surfaces to increase the gap between the two to see if that helps.
Richard, originally I was looking for a nice head like a Sachtler, Vinten, or the like but found they all had a ball head & I was after something I could put on a centre column tripod that is very small & light. I have a Miller DS10 & a Sachtler DV10SB & they are wonderful heads, especially the Sachtler, but this little Weifeng head is very, very impressive for the money, & if I can only get the pan freed up a little more, it will be a great lightweight setup. The tilt is buttery smooth, & while the pan is very smooth, it is simply too stiff in colder temperatures to be useable. I normally use this tripod set up with my Canon XA-20 as a second camera to my EX-3 which I have on the Sachtler setup. All this gear gets very heavy after a while hiking around the mountains of BC so any decrease in weight is a big benefit.
Regards,
Bryce
Old February 15th, 2014, 11:06 AM   #18
Major Player

I have been using the Manfrotto 500 Carbon Fibre Video System with my Canon XA20 and loving it.

It comes with the MVH500A Head and a set of 535 Sticks. The whole lot weighs 3.5kgs so is a light setup. I will say that the 500PLONG Plate is just way too big for the XA20.

However, what I have found is the 501PL works wonderfully with the MVH500A Head as well as fitting the XA20 perfectly. It allows complete access to the battery release and is flush at the end of the camera base so accessing the knob is no problem. It doesn't over hang like most plates.
Paul Inglis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads