Sachtler DV6 SB Head, True Weight at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old August 26th, 2013, 04:13 AM   #1
Major Player

Sachtler DV6 SB Head, True Weight

Looking to downscale my kit a bit in view of purchase of Lumix GH3, even with 500 Sigma attached a bit "overkill" for my Vinten Vision 6.

Thinking of having a go with my Sachtler DV6 SB but probably also overkill and helluva weighty. Tried it on the kitchen scales, 6.5lbs thereabouts. Had a look in the manual, 5.3lbs.

Something wrong here and it ain't my scales, that much. Are Sachtler omittng the weight of the handle?

My concern is not so much the weight of stuff I already own, but possibly purchasing a decent lighter weight alternative head. Weight will be an issue, I'd like something of the weight of a Manfrotto 501 but the performance of a Sachtler, but need to buy blind and concerned about the inaccuracy of Sachtler's own written specification.

Ron

ps cannot be ultra lightweight as from time to time will be using that 500 with up to 4.4x magnifiction/crop factor.
Ronald Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2013, 01:15 AM   #2
Vitec Group

Re: Sachtler DV6 SB Head, True Weight

Hi,

Have you looked at the Sachtler Ace L system which holds up to 6 kg (at 55 mm cog?) ? It only weights 3,9 kg.

regards

Barbara
Barbara Jaumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2013, 03:45 AM   #3
Major Player

Thank you Barbara, and "yes, I have now". Can I buy the Ace head separately, preferably in the UK?
I want it to go on my ancient but good Gitzo (also Vitec of course) 1325 legs. These also a shorter "travelling" length and fit, just, inside my suitcase.

Ron
Old August 27th, 2013, 11:08 AM   #4
Major Player

Just noticed "55mm cog(bowl)"which a nuisance as I've no wish to buy yet another tripod even if I might want yet another head.

Presumably there is an adaptor out there.

Ron
Old August 27th, 2013, 12:46 PM   #5
Major Player

My reading of the 6 kg at 55 mm COG is that the system will support 6 kg, but only if the centre of gravity is no more than 55 mm above the top of the mounting plate. The bowl is still 75 mm diameter.

When I was looking at this I felt that I had to go up in the Sachtler range, and bought an FSB 6, which supports 6 kg with a COG as much as 100 mm above the plate.

My Sony V1 complete with larger microphone, mic. pre-amp, Ninja, and Century 2x converter on its custom built rail system weights in at 5 kg, but the COG is around 100 mm above the mounting plate.

The FSB 6 counterbalances this with ease, needing only the 6 setting.

As I needed a new tripod as well, I bought the Speedlock kit, which gave better value for money than buying separate components. I bought from Visual Impact, who I had not used before, and found to be very helpful.

Sachtler have an excellent downloadable pdf version of their current catalogue on their European website. This has the full specification of all their heads and tripods.
Alan Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2013, 01:37 AM   #6
Major Player

"Centre Of Gravity", yes of course. I was wondering why Sachtler's ads mention 75mm bowls.

I have a DV6 SB head. Used it with my Canon XLH1 long lens/rails/nanoFlash outfit but found I was too near the weight limit, even with this quite large and heavy head. Subsequently went for a Vinten Vision 6 and Vinten tripod which perfectly adequate for both my XLH1 outfit and my newer EX3 outfit as well.

However, both heads far too heavy and ponderous when matched with a Lumix GH3, even with long lenses.

I need (or would like) something of the quality of my Sachtler/Vinten but of an appropriate size and weight.
I had a go with a 501, okay weight-wise, otherwise a joke. I don't want to have to buy yet another tripod though.

Will have a look at "Visual Impact", pretty certain I've used them previously.

Ron
Old August 30th, 2013, 07:44 AM   #7
Major Player

The Sachtler "Ace L" tripod/head kit is shown with a 35 inch transport length. Is this the length of the tripod only or tripod plus head?

Ron
Old August 30th, 2013, 11:49 PM   #8
Major Player

The height given for my system in the Sachtler catalogue is that of the collapsed tripod, with head fitted. As the Ace is available only as a system, that will be the height quoted.
Alan Craven is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads