DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Tripod Sticks & Heads (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/)
-   -   Best budget tripod to support slider? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/519440-best-budget-tripod-support-slider.html)

Jody Arnott October 10th, 2013 07:12 PM

Best budget tripod to support slider?

Hi all,

I'm looking to buy a couple of VERY budget tripods, purely for the purpose of supporting my slider and my B-camera during IVs.

The slider + camera is probably around 6kg, so they still need to be fairly sturdy.

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance :)

Victor Nguyen October 10th, 2013 08:07 PM

Re: Best budget tripod to support slider?

Seems like a basic manfrotto tripod and head will do. How long is your slider?

Jody Arnott October 10th, 2013 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Victor Nguyen (Post 1816576)
Seems like a basic manfrotto tripod and head will do. How long is your slider?

It's 2 meters (6.5 feet), so a single tripod won't support it. I figure 2 cheap tripods should do the trick.

Tim Lewis October 10th, 2013 08:24 PM

Having just spent quite a bit on your new camera, are you willing to risk it on a couple of cheap tripods?

I would suggest a couple of Manfrotto 190's to protect your investment.

Victor Nguyen October 10th, 2013 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Lewis (Post 1816578)
Having just spent quite a bit on your new camera, are you willing to risk it on a couple of cheap tripods?

I would suggest a couple of Manfrotto 190's to protect your investment.

Well, in my opinion Manfrotto tripods are still cheap. But yes, I think a couple of manfrottos should work.

Tim Lewis October 10th, 2013 08:41 PM

Hey Victor, my comment was more for Jody. I agree that a couple of Manfrottos is still a cheap option, I was just meaning, I wouldn't be recommend considering putting the slider on top of a couple of K-mart tripods, with all the money Jody just spent on his camera.

Jody Arnott October 10th, 2013 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Lewis (Post 1816581)
Hey Victor, my comment was more for Jody. I agree that a couple of Manfrottos is still a cheap option, I was just meaning, I wouldn't be recommend considering putting the slider on top of a couple of K-mart tripods, with all the money Jody just spent on her camera.

His camera ;)

And yes, understood. But it's just supporting a slider - the chances of a tripods legs collapsing aren't huge no matter how cheap it is.

I'm happy to spend $100 on each tripod. Surely I can get something of a reasonable quality for that?

Tim Lewis October 10th, 2013 09:50 PM

Apologies :) Fixed.

Jody Arnott October 10th, 2013 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Lewis (Post 1816587)
Apologies :)

I get it all the time :P

Victor Nguyen October 11th, 2013 03:36 AM

Seems like to support a slider, Extremely cheap tripod will work fine. Maybe even as cheap as this http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/717667-REG/Benro_A150EXU_A_150EXU_Digital_Tripod_Kit.html
Just shop around at B&H some more, there's just too many options.

Craig Chartier October 30th, 2013 09:49 PM

That Benro will not work well, it will transmit too much vibration to the slider and ultimate ly to the camera.
induro makes a 75mm half ball adapter, and that has a wider surface , just thread each half ball to the ends of the slider, then you can quickly mount slider into two 75mm ball tripods, either Benro or manfrotto. Or any Lowe range tripod. You will not get any vibration transfer