Sachtler Weight Limits at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old December 9th, 2013, 07:36 PM   #1
New Boot

Sachtler Weight Limits

First, I want to thank everyone here for the help I've received as I search for a new tripod. I promise this will be my last new thread (for a while at least): I've just purchased a Miller Solo/DV10 setup, mostly for the legs, and am hoping to replace the head with a Sachtler. I've been using an old DV1, rated for up to 4.4lbs, and want to make sure that my next head can accommodate a heavier load. My DSLR rig weighs between 5-8.5lbs, depending on what I'm using day to day. The FSB 4 is rated for up to 8.8lbs, I believe, and looks perfect for the work I do. However, I'm concerned about my rig being so close to the weight limit. Is there any conventional wisdoms with Sachtler about how close to the weight limit one can or should come before the head becomes "overloaded"?

Many thanks in advance.
Old December 10th, 2013, 01:13 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Sachtler Weight Limits

Aaron Sharff...now, this is just 'anecdotal', but, IMHO, you are pushing the upper limit of the Sachtler FSB 4. I don't own an FSB 4, I own an FSB 8. So, everything I say is based upon my working knowledge of the FSB 8 and a few Vinten tripods and fluid heads I've tested in the past.

I have found, if you get close to 60% of the overall payload limit (+/-) of the fluid head, you will begin to lose range of motion. If, the FSB 4 overall payload capacity is 8.8 #, and your camera's 'current' configuration is 8.5 #, you're too close to the upper limit. IMHO. It gives you very little 'headroom' for growth.

I'm sure there will be others, much more knowledgeable than I, responding with a lot better technical information.

Best regards,

J.
James Kuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2013, 01:26 PM   #3
New Boot

Thanks, James. I think I have heard the same elsewhere, so I'm not too surprised. The 60% you quote is a little scary for me, though, because that means I really need a head rated for about 14lbs minimum? The higher the weight the more expensive the head it seems. Maybe the FSB 6 what I need?
Old December 10th, 2013, 02:08 PM   #4
Major Player

Aaron Sharff...the 60% (probably closer to 75%) issue is why I decided to 'back my ears down' and get the Sachtler FSB 8 (2-20 lbs/0.9-9kg). This gives me enough headroom to accessorize my current rig (PMW-200) and still be well within the fluid head's overall capacity. As a general rule, I try to not overly stress mechanical systems.

I'm looking at an O'connor 1030D to use with my Sachtler CF 100ENG HD sticks, for larger cameras or when I need additional stability. I'm trying to 'future-proof' my support equipment as much as possible, it's one less thing to worry about.

As a lot of the 'Pros' will tell you, good sticks and fluid heads will outlast multiple camera platforms. And, good sticks and fluid heads will always retain some residual value should you ever need to sell them. Having a recognized 'name brand' also helps.

Anyway, that's how I rationalize spending ridiculous amounts of money. : ) JMHO, YMMV.

I hope I've helped.

J.
James Kuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2013, 08:05 PM   #5
Major Player

I would suggest an FSB-6 at a minimum.
Richard D. George is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads