Sachtler Ace with slider? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old March 14th, 2014, 01:45 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Sachtler Ace with slider?

Hi,

I've been looking for a decent, lightweight tripod system that will be able to support a short slider (Cinevate Duzi or similar length sliders) by itself without flex/bending. I'm considering the Sacthler Ace but am open to better alternatives in a similar price bracket.

Currently, I'm using a Libec tripod but have been constantly disappointed by its performance when paired with a slider as the head is not able to lock up fully and, hence, tilts slightly when the camera is at either of the extreme ends of the slider. This results in sliding shots that end up being slightly skewed as the camera approaches the end of the slider. Also, the legs aren't solid enough to take the weight and actually retract slightly under weight (by itself) even when locked.

So i'm looking for a good fluid head tripod that has a solid enough head locking mechanism and with decent leg locks. Would the sachtler Ace suffice? Or would any alternatives do better? (preferably not heavier than the sachtler Ace (4.4kg) and in the same price range.)

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Regards
Old March 15th, 2014, 11:45 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Sachtler Ace with slider?

I have a FSB6 head and even that struggles with sliders.
I worked with a ACE (I think it was the M model) and it's completely made out of plastic and much more fiddly than a FSB head. I was a bit disappointed as I struggled a bit to get smooth shots I normally get on my FSB without a sweat.

I highly doubt it will support a slider, even a short one..
Be sure to try it out before buying.
Zoran Vincic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2014, 12:01 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Yup that was what I was afraid of.

What about an FSB4 head with TT 75/2 carbon fibre sticks?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/767481-REG/Sachtler_0377_Telescopic_Tripod_TT_75_2.html
I'm really considering this as I heard the legs are based off the manfrotto 535 which are quite well received with minimal flex. Would something like this with either an FSB4 or FSB6 be adequate for a slider? It doesn't need to be rock solid like a vinten 3 as I understand compromises need to be made when looking for a lightweight system. So would the one Linked be good enough? So long as it can take a small slider without bending too much I'm fine.
Old March 16th, 2014, 04:11 PM   #4
Regular Crew

As I said before, I have a FSB6 head and if I use it alone to mount a slider centrally the range of motion ain't that much before the setup becomes unstable and starts to dip.

Consider adding a small (light and cheap) light stand which would fit in the tripod bag. That way it would be easy to carry together with the tripod.
Then you can support one end of the slider with the tripod and the other end with a light stand

Sure, it does add some extra setup time but you'll have full motion range for any slider.

Add a Manfrotto 035 clamp and 026 joint and you will have a versatile setup for sliding at angles.
Zoran Vincic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2014, 05:10 PM   #5
New Boot

I have a Cinevate Duzi with the Sachtler Ace M and it flexes ever so slightly.

I also have Manfrottos 3 way head with the RC2 quick release, and it flexes substantially more. Both are rated for 8lbs.
Colin Krieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2014, 10:00 PM   #6
Trustee

You need a second heavy duty tripod for the slider. It need not be expensive. Here is a write up I did on the Davis & Sanford ATP.

"I got this tripod to support a small 4 foot jib/crane and slider on hiking excursions. I selected it because of price and ability to support 35 pounds. My camera, jib and counter weights come to about 26 pounds. The ATP seems to hold the weight very well. With this type heavy setup I am always checking fastener tightness, because a tripod leg slip could spell disaster. So far so good. I did have a nut come loose on the spreader. I think I will replace the spreader flat washers with locking washers or locking nuts. Oh, in case someone is looking at this tripod to support a jib, I got a Feisol panning base mounted between the tripod top and my manfrotto quick release. The jib base then mounts to the quick release for easy setup and breakdown."
Attached Thumbnails
Sachtler Ace with slider?-photo01.jpg   Sachtler Ace with slider?-slider12.jpg  

Mark Williams is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads