The Gitzo tripod no one is talking about - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old May 30th, 2014, 09:59 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: The Gitzo tripod no one is talking about

I'd never thought about using a dSLR for meetings coverage either. So often the call is for a single camera, and that's got to be with a broadcast zoom with servo!

But Jon's 2-cam method seems very sound. Is the master-shot camcorder locked off and unmanned? (unwomanned?)

Back on video heads for dSLRs, yesterday I came across Really Right Stuff's (RRS) new video head. RRS is a well known premium tripod and head manufacturer for stills gear, if you're not familiar with them. IMO their gear outclasses Gitzo in several different areas, though their range of legs and heads is narrower. I'm not alone in that opinion...

Oh, my, the price! $1700 US! For a little yet pretty beefy US-manufactured head:
Fluid Head
And yes, not only Arca-Swiss, but using a pano/nodal slide to balance the rig, just like I do for thousands less! Except mine is on a stills ball head, not something to do moves with.

Maybe the upcoming Acratech is really a bargain at $500... but doggone it the $150-200 range of heads ought to have something for the discriminating dSLR videographer/cinematographer/photographer with Arca-Swiss systems, but without a lot of dough.
Old May 31st, 2014, 02:11 AM   #17
Regular Crew

...Who loads a tripod onto a vehicle with a camera mounted to it?? Take it off before something snags and drops the payload??
Zexun Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2014, 08:57 AM   #18
Major Player

Funny, I was thinking of this very topic of lighter weight DSLR tripods last night, as I wanted to wander near my house with my 5D. Getting tired of carrying a heavier Manfrotto video set of sticks with me for quick field work on a 5D. Has anyone tried using a 5D or similar with this Oben head that B&H carries on a set of lighter weight sticks?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/888238-REG/oben_pd_117_3_way_pan_tilt_head.html
Ultimately, here in the Pacific NW where I live, I contend with a lot of wind. The Manfrotto Carbon Fibre are much more steady in a 30 kt breeze than anything else I've tried.
Old May 31st, 2014, 09:43 AM   #19
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Roemich View Post
Right...

I think I pointed out the ridiculously heavy Seceed copy of a Sachtler Video25 wasn't nearly as bad as I expected...
I meant more the lightweight DSLR heads that were both a) overpriced for knockoffs and b) mostly terrible. :)
Old May 31st, 2014, 10:20 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Couper View Post
I meant more the lightweight DSLR heads that were both a) overpriced for knockoffs and b) mostly terrible. :)
The word "mostly" is pretty much extraneous in that statement...

:P
Old June 1st, 2014, 01:56 AM   #21
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Bloombaum View Post
But Jon's 2-cam method seems very sound. Is the master-shot camcorder locked off and unmanned? (unwomanned?)
Yes, Seth. No human touches the master cam. :) It's a wide shot that includes the podium and the projection screen, plus some safety area. With the DSLR, the shot is medium-tight and I either track the subject or move him/her over to a "rule of 5ths" to make room for the Power Point overlay. The third option is the full frame Power Point slide.

I show the Power Point full screen when there are many details. I mainly show the DSLR shot - especially if there is an emotional connection to the speaker. When another speaker walks to the podium, I go wide. I also go wide when the speaker references the audience. Both cams are Canons and they match reasonably well as long as I match the color balance.

BTW, we use a cheap tripod under the camcorder. It's locked down and indoors, so it doesn't much matter what holds it up. :)
Old June 1st, 2014, 05:14 AM   #22
Major Player

I use a three camera method, a 5d with a 17-40 on a jib, and most depth of field the light can muster, an Xa10 with wide angle adapter on a tripod mounted slider with fluid head, either wide or medium wide from a different angle, and then I am mobile with a 70d 24-105 for close ups and creative angles.
The XA10 has saved my bacon many times, and I find I can get a pretty good match with the DSLRs with some tasteful vignette, edge blur and diffusion etc.
Often when wide, I find the XA10 more pleasing than the 5d, as minute details in trees, grass and the like make the image fall apart on the 5d.
Brian David Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2014, 06:51 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Hey all -

Just got back from a couple weeks traveling and shooting, and missed the responses. I'm glad to see some discussion about tripods for DSLR run and gun shooting - so, thanks for your contributions.

I think for someone just getting into tripod shopping, the discussion can go from Amazon cheapies to high end Miller tripods very quickly, which is why it's so overwhelming to find something in the mid-range. Recommendations from professionals like you guys are what helps everybody starting out.

Cheers!
Slavik
Slavik Boyechko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2014, 10:56 PM   #24
Major Player

I consider my tripod to be one of the most important pieces of gear I own. While I would love to have a shorter leg model, it seems that the $700 to $1000 is the entry price for a product worth investing in for video work, and likely it's worth spending a lot more. My last tripod (a still camera model) lasted twenty years. The main weight I add these days is the slider. Quality means it's going to be heavy.
Old June 15th, 2014, 05:07 AM   #25
Major Player

I finally got my MeFoto Globetrotter tripod.
This is one great tripod. I tried it with an Aviator jib, an Edelkrone Sliderplus 2, with a Velbon FHD-71QN head on a Acratech levelling base, and with the included ball head as well.
Very, very solid, though a bit of winding with the Velbon head, which is a little stiff for DSLRs.
This thing folds up super small (16"), holds 26 pounds, converts to a monopod that is TALL, the centre column inverts for ground shots, and it gets low to the ground for solid slider shots.
I am very impressed with this tripod!
Anyone using the Aviator jib, by the way, I found filling a floppy bag with sand or rocks an inefficient counter weight, and carrying barbell weights around seemed silly. So I cut the head of a 3 1/2" bolt (3/8-16) locked on a 1 1/2" long nut in the centre so I could screw one end into the jib arm and then screw on my tripod head on the other end to use as a counter weight. With my Libec half bowl head, I can just screw it on directly.
It works really well, you have the tripod head arm as a handle and you can also adjust its angle to fine tune counterweight, and since you already carry the weight of the head, why not use it?
Brian David Melnyk is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads