DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Tripod Sticks & Heads (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/)
-   -   Tripod & Head are stuck together (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/524519-tripod-head-stuck-together.html)

Vince Pachiano August 15th, 2014 08:37 PM

Tripod & Head are stuck together

My video head has been attached to my tripod for over 2 years.
I'm trying to remove the head, but it appears to be stuck.
I have completely removed the 3 set-screws that go through the tripod base into the head base.
It would appear the two machined aluminum surfaces are simply stuck either by friction or some oxidation(?).
I've clamped-down the panning thumb screw, but there is only so much friction this screw can provide.
When I rotate the head, the panning portion just rotates.
I've even tried lightly (and then a little more forcefully) rapping on the unit with a mallet.

Any suggestion? Penetrating oil? Putty Knife & Hammer?

Chris Soucy August 16th, 2014 04:10 PM

Re: Tripod & Head are stuck together

Hi Vince......................

(Pardon me whilst I brush off the cob webs and blow away the accumulated dust of centuries of redundancy, hack, hack).

It might facilitate a cogent response if the peeps had the make and model number of the said recalcitrant inanimate object(s).

In the event these have been sourced from planet Zog in a parallel universe, photos work real good too.

CS

Bob Hart August 17th, 2014 11:34 AM

If it is a frozen joint, the only other thing I can think of is to use thermal shock. Put it in a freezer overnight then pour a kettleful of boiling water slowly over one of the pieces, on one side of the joint not both pieces.

Are you sure you got all the screws? Does the tripod ball stud go right through into the upper head. If both upper and lower pieces are threaded, then with the screws out, it may not come apart until the stud is also taken out. I am wildly guessing here so don't take much notice of my comment.

Seth Bloombaum August 18th, 2014 12:05 AM

I had very good luck with putting the column & head in the freezer a few months ago.

Many people use loc-tite, I was able to disassemble one where the previous owner had used red loc-tite on the grub screws, and some had leaked onto the column screw.

A couple hours in the freezer and I was able to unscrew it, which was outstanding, since the red is for semi-permanent installation. Blue loc-tite is better ;-)

Vince Pachiano August 19th, 2014 11:06 AM

It is a Monfrotto 128RC head and Monfrotto 055XB tripod.
The tripod has a simple machined aluminum disc with three threaded holes,
and a stud that presumably goes into the head.

In looking at my original order, I bought these together as a set.
I cannot recall if that was just the way B&H packaged it (buy both, save $10), or now I am wondering
if they came physically joined from the factory

Tried the freezer trick, and the boiling water trick, no-joy
Manfrotto 055XB Tripod w/128RC Fluid Head

Alan Craven August 19th, 2014 12:34 PM

Some Manfrotto Tripod/head combinations have three small screws around the circumference of the interface which are tightened to lock the head to the tripod. Check whether these are present in your combination, and loosen them if they are.