O'Connor 1030D Arrived! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old October 9th, 2014, 08:27 PM   #16
Wrangler

Re: O'Connor 1030D Arrived!

So James, enlighten me--that side load plate is pretty similar to the Sachtler, yes? But not the same? Are either compatible with the Manfrotto system? They all look pretty close. That would be a shame if none of them fit the other.

Just for reference--the "industry standard" (whatever that means anymore--sigh) is the Touch-and-Go, which is the original Sachtler plate that I referred to above (O'Connor calling it a Euro plate). This one:

http://www.filmtools.com/media/catal.../1/4/14289.JPG

It's really too big for a lot of current smaller cameras, hence the proliferation of new styles. My 1030 is outfitted with the receiver for this size plate as is my 2575, to ensure compatibility.
Old October 10th, 2014, 12:28 PM   #17
Major Player

Charles...sorry for the delayed response.

1. O'Connor Camera Mounting Plate is 2-5/16" (5.873cm) wide.

2. O'Connor Platform Dovetail is 2-5/8' (6.667cm) wide.

3. Sachtler Camera Mounting Plate is 1-15/16" (4.921cm) wide.

4. Manfrotto Camera Mounting Plate is 1-15/16'(4.921cm) wide.

I didn't drag out my Micrometers or Calipers, just a Sears 20-ft tape measure, so everything is 'estimated' based upon my eyesight. : ) It's pretty close for these discussions.

Yes, I was a little disappointed, but I think the larger 'form factor' of the intended use for the 1030D, it's understandable.

I stayed away from the 'Euro Plates', but I understand they are the industry standard on the other-side of the Pond.

Best regards,

J.
James Kuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2014, 10:16 AM   #18
Major Player

Chris Soucy...was Steve Phillip's article the impetus for your 'balance issues' question regarding the O'Connor 1030[D]?

He has owned and used a bunch of combinations in his search for the 'perfect' Tripod/Fluid Head. His discipline is wildlife filming which is a very demanding field with little room for error. I cut and pasted the portion of his review on the O'Connor 1030 Fluid Head (see below).

TRIPOD HEADS for WILDLIFE FILMING – by Steve Phillips

O’Connor 1030 Fluid Head
"...Counterbalance doesn’t seem quite as good though, it changes a lot as you tilt up and down, so you can balance it perfectly and have it hold steady when looking up say 45 degrees, if you then tilt down for a while and then put it back up to the same 45 degree position it won’t hold any more. This is something to do with spring tensions [rate] changing as you move I’m sure, and it [s] the same with all other heads listed here, but the Atlas 30 and O’Connor 2060 seem less prone to it, probably due to its beefier construction and larger springs. Same bouncy problem as all the 100mm bowl heads though, even though I use 150mm bowl on it, it’s still a small head.”

I don't know if there is a tremendous design difference between the older 'grey' painted heads and the newer 1030D black painted heads. I suspect not. I think Steve's 'observations' are applicable to the entire 1030 range.

Again, I haven't noticed any 'drift' or movement, but I'm using a very modest payload (8.71lbs/3.95kg). If, anything, I'm mostly worried about 'spring back' because of the light payload. But, I haven't noticed any of that either.

Best regards,

J.
Old October 15th, 2014, 11:47 AM   #19
Wrangler

Between the older (grey) and newer (black) heads, O'Connor was bought by Vitec and manufacturing moved overseas from the Costa Mesa plant. The method of adjusting the counterbalanced changed completely with the new head, it's certainly more user friendly but that may have affected the internal mechanism too. I can confirm that the 1030B heads have no consistency issue with counterbalance.
Old October 15th, 2014, 01:32 PM   #20
Inner Circle

James..............

That was one of them, though having read it once again, the "tone" appears to be much more "minute operational differences between units at the top 1% of the market" than the other article, which was much more strongly worded to the effect "this shouldn't be happening".

I'm blowed if I can find it again. It's possible it's been taken down, I must have read it 3 or 4 years ago.

I think it safe to conclude that the issue is indeed a non issue, like the OConnor oil leaking myth, which seems impossible to stake through the heart.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2014, 03:23 PM   #21
Major Player

Chris, Charles...Steve Phillip's article describes the 'condition' based on an older 1030 'grey colored' model he purchased. We don't know if he purchased his 1030 new or used. Although, he strikes me as the kind of guy who buys new when he can.

Also, he's making his comparison to a new O'Connor model 2060 HD he purchased with more Drag Fluid volume for use with long lenses. I find it interesting you can ask for more fluid in the Fluid Head.

Given Mr. Phillips background and professional standing, I can only take what he says as truth. He has owned and/or used many of the Tripod/Fluid Head systems identified as 'premium professional grade' rigs. His 'discipline' is exacting and unforgiving, I think he knows what he needs to get the shot.

I don't believe the 'condition' has been 'identified or described' with the latest batch of 1030Ds, those with the 'Counterbalance Crank Arm', which makes it more difficult to attempt to attribute this to a systemic design flaw.

My assumption the design had not undergone a major redesign was incorrect, as Charles rightly points out.

At this juncture, I'm not sure we can prove or dis-prove anything. It's a little like trying to compare Apples to Oranges.

Good, Lord! I'm reading this and thinking to myself, sounds like a bunch of Engineers trying to sift 'Fly crap, from pepper. : )

I've enjoyed the discussion.

Best regards,

J.
Old October 15th, 2014, 06:53 PM   #22
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Kuhn View Post
Good, Lord! I'm reading this and thinking to myself, sounds like a bunch of Engineers trying to sift 'Fly crap, from pepper. : )
Hey James, watch what you say about engineers. Some of us in here are those nasty little creatures and there is a reason we try to sift the fly crap out...LOL.

Have fun with your beautiful support system (I don't believe it's fair to lump the O'Connor heads into the tripod category. They deserve a more lofty title.) :)
Old October 16th, 2014, 01:23 AM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Low View Post
Hey James, watch what you say about engineers. Some of us in here are those nasty little creatures and there is a reason we try to sift the fly crap out...LOL.

Have fun with your beautiful support system (I don't believe it's fair to lump the O'Connor heads into the tripod category. They deserve a more lofty title.) :)
I too was an engineer long long ago... :-)

I use an OConnor 1030HDs and pretty happy with it. The only issue is carrying it in treks. Wish it was a kg or two lighter. I have the cheaper manfrottos and those are simply crap. If you try the OConnors, then you are hooked for ever.
Old October 16th, 2014, 10:57 AM   #24
Major Player

Garrett, Sabyasachi...you guys are killing me! ROTFLMAO!

In a past life, I vaguely remember a double-E from UF and thirty years working at Kennedy Space Center.

Maybe this is where former Engineers come to die? (Or, spend all their retirement money.) Kind of like the Elephant 's Graveyard. : )

I'm grateful to all of the gentlemen who've participated in this discussion. It's the best of DVInfo.

Warmest wishes to all,

J.
Old October 16th, 2014, 12:59 PM   #25
Trustee

James, I was once told by Jacques Haitkin that a lot of engineers make great DP's and Directors!
Old October 16th, 2014, 01:02 PM   #26
Major Player

"you could buy a complete QR assembly, like: Quick Release Assemblies | B&H Photo Video mount that to your Sachtler plate--a little funky having dual QR's but it would allow for fast switch out. "

That's whatI did with my FSB8 and it's a good solution. It's really helpful to have the same hardware on everything.
Old October 16th, 2014, 03:06 PM   #27
Inner Circle

I do buy most of my stuff new, but the 1030 was used.

It is only a small issue and as you say James, and as I pointed out in my reviews, it's only any sort of an issue at all when doing minute adjustments on a 1000mm lens! I don't think it's unique to the 1030 either, the Ronford 2003 also did it a bit more than the 2004 - perhaps the smaller the components the less well they perform, kind of makes sense.

In my opinion the O'Connors just rule, from the 1030 through the (now discontinued -booo!) 2060 and up to the 2575. Having stepless pan, tilt and counterbalance is invaluable, they're well built and customer service is excellent. Don't know if you've all seen this
but it's great - we all know O'Connors are a) heavy, and b) expensive - after seeing that video you can see why!

Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2014, 06:12 PM   #28
Major Player

Mr. Steve Phillipps...first of all, thank you for responding. And, thank you for your informative article. I have the URL book marked.

I've been on a similar quest for the 'perfect' Tripod/Fluid Head combination. I don't believe 'perfect' exists, after all, we are talking about a mechanical device. But, I think O'Connor and the other high-end designs have come as close as any.

I'm pleased with my current brace of sticks and Heads; O'Connor 1030D/Sachtler CF-100ENG HD 2 CF Carbon-Fiber Tripod and Sachtler FSB-8/Sachtler Speed Lock 75 Carbon-Fiber Tripod. Considering my modest start, this is a milestone.

The Sachtler is my lightweight travel rig and of course the O'Connor is the middleweight champ of my kit. Anything larger will have to be rented. I've tried to future proof my equipment as much as I can.

I look at Tripods and Fluid Heads as long-term investments, unlike our wonderful cameras that will be replaced by the latest '4K, 8K Painted Floozy' to steal our heart at 'NAB'.

In your line of work, long lenses are the norm and a fast 1000mm telephoto chunk of glass will pick-up a pulsing heart or an errant breeze on a locked-down Head. Ruining what is otherwise, a brilliant image.

In a former life as a Photo Dog, any time I was using glass over 400mm I'd bring sandbags, lock-up the mirror and use a cable release. Most importantly, I wouldn't touch the Tripod! Even the slightest movement can make the image 'soft' and Photo Editors don't like 'soft images'.

There is an important point that should be made. No matter how wonderful and 'rock solid' a system you have, it will not make-up for poor technique.

Working pros, like yourself, have honed their skills to the point that if you gave them a 'Big Box Store $20 Special Tripod/Head Combo', they'd still get great results. It's the Carpenter not the Hammer makes the difference.

I'm still trying to hone my craft. However, I'll take any mechanical advantage I can and I'm a firm believer that if you get good equipment it saves you one less annoyance in the learning curve. Besides, I hate buying twice.

Again, thank you for chiming-in.

Best regards,

J.

Last edited by James Kuhn; October 16th, 2014 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Spelling 'Phillipps' correctly
Old October 16th, 2014, 06:24 PM   #29
Major Player

Mr. Mark OConnell...I'm actually looking at the Manfrotto 357 QR and Plate. Since my camera/payload is a little on the light side (8.71lbs/3.95kg) at an estimated CoG of ~4-inches, I'm considering using this combination with the O'Connor Side-load camera plate to get the 'payload a little higher.

Thank you for your thoughtful suggestion.

Best regards,

J.
Old October 17th, 2014, 03:51 AM   #30
Product Manager - O'Connor

Hi,

Steve from OConnor here. Sorry am so lame at the whole social media piece! Will try to get better! Must have set up my auto e-mail wrong because I don't get anything. Here are my reply's in no particular order.

The perfectly balance fluid head was essentially a disruptive technology that took away the mechanics of the 'etch as sketch' to deal with such a heavy payload and replaced it with a 'pencil'. They do often still get used on movies and high end dramas a secondary head for the exact reasons described, push in dolly shots or when you really need to hit an mark following a fast move precisely but it takes real practice to do more organic moves.

The reason OConnor heads traditionally not used in news and docs is that they are not as light and portable as a schtler head say for the same payload carrying capacity, but they of course have improved balance performance as compensation.

These heads are manufactured in Costa Rica in our Vitec owned facility, we have manufacturing capability's here, the UK, Italy and the united states and are agnostic about what gets built where (usually due to where has capacity). We are even talking of manufacturing same products in several locations to be close to our markets and save on shipping on some products. What I can assure you is that heads built today are of a higher quality than they have ever been before. 75% of Parts are still sourced from the states however.

I will continue on a follow up incase overshoot my word limit!

Steve
Steven Turner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads