Miller Compass 12 for Sony HXR-NX3..? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old April 8th, 2015, 12:22 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Miller Compass 12 for Sony HXR-NX3..?

G'Day all,
After seeing my 5 week old NX3 overbalance my (older and too small) Manfrotto tripod and 701 HDV head, I finally realized that I need a new set of legs and head , and so does the camera..LOL
So I've been doing lots of research and since I live down under, I feel a Miller combo could be in order?
The NX3 is about 3kg plus, so the Compass 12 is perfect weight wise and I think the alloy 2 stage sticks will suit me. I do a lot of railroad shots, so smooth pan and tilt are a necessity , I've never used a ball head before but from what I see they are quick and easy to level. I have looked at Sachtler as well, but being an Aussie I feel I should go with the local product as I've heard good reports, what do you think?
Thanks and cheers,
Gregg.

Last edited by Gregg Malmborg; April 8th, 2015 at 03:07 PM.
Gregg Malmborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2015, 07:48 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Miller Compass 12 for Sony HXR-NX3..?

Hi Greg.................

Ummm, maybe not.

You didn't supply a link so I've assumed the "2 stage" sticks are the units shown here: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/806339-REG/Miller_1876_Compass_12_Solo_DV.html
they being the cheapest of the Miller Compass 12 systems on that site. If that is indeed the system in question, may I put forward a better all round solution?

Nah, I will anyway.

Check this out: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/734609-REG/Vinten_VB_AP2M_VB_AP2M_Camera_Support_System.html

Why do I believe it to be a better solution?

At 7.1 kg the Miller is heavier than the Vinten by 1.5 kg, yet being a 1:1:1 tube leg system has infinitely less wind up resistance than the Vinten 2:2:1 arrangement.

The twist concentric leg locks on the Miller are slower to use than the Pozi- Locs of the Vinten and concentric's really do suck ergonomically, if I may be so bold.

Finally, at $1882.44 the Miller is $455 more expensive than the Vinten (US prices, couldn't be fagged checking Oz ones)

Just to put the headstone on this grave, if you're prepared to cop the return transport fees if you don't like it, you can get to try a Vinten gratis at home, with your own rig, simply by firing a mail to: Philip.Dalgoutte@VitecGroup.com (I do assume they will do this in Oz, it's not like it's a 3rd world country or anything).

What's not to like?

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2015, 08:03 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Chris ,yes , you are correct re. the 2 stage sticks, I was looking at this head (Viten)as well, but for the trip I'm doing , the Solo 12 is more compact. I will be travelling by train most of the time so I need to compromise and get sticks that will fit in my luggage. It was a tough choice between three makes but I have decided on the Miller, though I really would like a set of 2-2-1 legs for the stability as you say, maybe when I get back I will look at a set??
Thanks for the advice !
Cheers Gregg
Old April 22nd, 2015, 10:32 PM   #4
Regular Crew

HI Gregg
I have both the Miller DS10 solo and the Miller(1640)DS10 Solo DV Alloy System 3 stage(October 2011 just before they went 2 stage) tripods i use them with my HXR nx3 and hdr5z the solo is not carbon only aluminum both have there good points the solo is lighter lets me get very low shots and also a little bit higher than the 3 stage DS10 but at height the Solo starts to get unstable you have to hold legs when panning resonably quickly , where as the 3stage DS10 is rock solid at height as well and quicker to setup on uneven ground.
I mainly use the Solo when moving around alot or just as a second fixed camera tripod.
I use the 3 stage in halls or concert, not as easily bumped more stable, especially if you have pan very quickly.
The miller heads are fantastic i cannot fault them, I know a couple of other people who both use DS10 Solo Tripods with DSLR's and they have told me they are really impressed with the Miller Tripods
Mark Owens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2015, 11:06 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Hi Mark,
I went with the Compass 12 head with the 2 stage Alloy sticks. A lot bigger than my old Manfrotto set up but if I'd upgraded earlier, the camera wouldn't of taken a dive?? As you say , the Miller head is super smooth and built like a truck..LOL,it is my first true fluid head and I now know why they are so popular!
I head of to Canada and the US in two weeks, so this set up will be a test as I lug it around for 10 weeks on public transport!
I'm loving the NX3 , especially as I now use it in manual and get the best out of a shot and get the result I'm after.
Cheers Gregg
Old May 5th, 2015, 10:35 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Happy travels.
Ross Hunter is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads