Travel Video Tripod Recommendations at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old April 2nd, 2016, 08:52 AM   #1
Trustee

Travel Video Tripod Recommendations

Looking for something lightweight for my A7s2. I have noticed the Benro, does Manfrotto have something to offer?
Old April 2nd, 2016, 06:19 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Travel Video Tripod Recommendations

There's travel and there's travel and there's tripods and there's tripods. I have the Benro Aero S4 as a grab tripod, I like it, but it's action doesn't compare to a pro tripod. My mate has, apart from you can't convert it to a monopod, a nearly identical Manfrotto. Sorry, don't know the model, but yes, Manfrotto does make one. The QR plates between the Manfrotto and the Benro are interchangeable. The Benro still weighs 3kg, OK for car travel, but heavy for what I consider real travel, which is buy your second t shirt when you get there. Been looking for long time for a hiking or biking tripod, don't think there is such a thing, Gorillapod comes closest.
Rainer Listing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2016, 08:17 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Re: Travel Video Tripod Recommendations

You should define what your travel needs are.
I looked at Benro and bought the S4 with carbon fiber legs. Doesn't fold as small as the Aero but it's 1 lb lighter (4.8lb / 2.2kg) compared to the Aero S4 (5.8lb / 2.6kg)

Basically you need to determine what combination weight and fold down size are good, what sacrifices you're willing to make with the head (higher end fluid drag and tilt controls add weight). Of course the camera you're using will be a factor in what the head/leg needs are.

Manfroto is good but they seem to be a bit more expensive and a bit heavier than their Bogen competitors. If, for example, you want a taler tripod, Monfoto might be a better choice but it will cost significantly more money.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads