Inexpensive tripod for camera phones? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old July 14th, 2016, 11:39 AM   #1
Trustee

Inexpensive tripod for camera phones?

Looking for a couple of inexpensive tripod mounts that hold phones. I have the tripods, just need the attachment for a phone so I can use them that way. Any suggestions?
David Delaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2016, 03:35 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Inexpensive tripod for camera phones?

Here in the UK you can get cheap selfie sticks for £1 which include a rectangular spring phone holder. These holders have a standard 1/4 inch 20tpi female thread at the base which can be fitted to any tripod screw or a quick release plate.
Steve Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2016, 06:07 AM   #3
Trustee

I've had no problems with several phone holders I've purchased on Amazon. Make sure you get one that is sized for the phone you want to use. They have a fair range of spring tension, but some smart phones these days have become extremely wide.

Make sure not to overtighten the mounting screw. The threads are usually brass but that brass nut is just mounted in plastic. I've never had one break, but it wouldn't be hard to see that happening.

The selfie-sticks already mentioned, usually have a 1/4-20 threaded hole in their base also. The stick can be mounted on a tripod with the phone on top to get a high view. The sticks all have a 180-degree angle adjustment on the end. You'll have to judge if the stability and safety of an arrangement like that is acceptable, but it can make for an interesting shot.

I have also used tall lightstands with a 1/4-20 thread on top to mount action cameras and phone cameras using the spring brackets you are interested in, for static high-angle shots. Usually to simulate a surveillance camera image.

Cheap Bluetooth controllers are much less reliable if you're trying to use a high mount, than using Wi-Fi on your phone to control an action-type camera that has Wi-Fi control and remote video monitoring.

You can use an Apple Watch for control and remote viewing of an iPhone still camera, or to judge for rough framing. It doesn't support video mode. Of course the image is very small, but still it's a really cool feature.

Last edited by Jay Massengill; July 16th, 2016 at 07:06 AM.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2016, 01:54 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I use this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Works fine :)
Nathan Buck is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads