What Tripod Do You Use? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old August 9th, 2016, 08:29 PM   #1
Major Player

What Tripod Do You Use?

I currently am using a pretty heavy solid tripod (not sure the brand), but am doing a lot of run and gun work and am looking to get as light as possible with my gear. I'm about to upgrade to one of the Edelkrone sliders which will fit nicely on a tripod, but I hate to have a heavy tripod on to go with that.

I'm considering getting this (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/944784-REG/manfrotto_mvh500ah_755cx3_mvh500ah_plus_755cx3_plus.html) manfrotto setup and I was wondering if anyone used this tripod or had any other suggestions. I currently shoot on a GH4.
Brock Burwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2016, 10:04 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: What Tripod Do You Use?

Gitzo! Until recently, I still had an aluminum Gitzo that I bought new in 1973 when Karl Heitz was the importer. Over the years I bought heavier Gitzos for the HEAVIER cameras like Betacam. When I started using the lighter Sony EX1 cameras, I switched to the lighter Gitzo carbon fiber tripods. At that time we had four shooters plus myself. In all those years and all those Gitzo tripods we never had a single problem with any Gitzo!

Now there is only me but I still kept two Gitzos. One heavier for a EX1 and one lighter for my X70 (Tinkerbell).

Cameras come and go but Gitzo is forever. Make the investment and call it a day.
Dan Gunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2016, 02:04 PM   #3
Major Player

I ended up purchasing the Benro S8 Carbon Fiber tripod this week. Got it in yesterday and (keep in mind that the only other tripod I've owned was a $150 one) was blown away. I've never really had a really good fluid head before and the S8 is really a huge step up from what I've had in the past. The tripod itself if so light. I've never had a carbon fiber tripod before so I'm very impressed with it. Looking forward to shooting with it
Brock Burwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2016, 04:25 PM   #4
Major Player

I've been using and travelling with the Sirui N-3204X, which is very light, sturdy, extends to 69", and (in a pinch), can be converted to a monopod by screwing off one of the legs. I have even taken it on travel shoots inside of a Pelican 1510 carry-on case (you'll have to remove the head and it will fit diagonally). Other than having to adjust leg height separately via twist-locks, I'm a big fan of this workhorse. My main tripod was a $1900 Sacthler FSB-6 carbon fiber, but I find that it gets much less use than the Sirui due to the weight and size.
Camera is a FS-5, and I often use a Konova 1 meter slider on top (which is pretty heavy by itself). A good head will really make more of a difference than the sticks, IMHO, but this is a great base from which to start.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...on_tripod.html
Oren Arieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2016, 08:23 AM   #5
Major Player

I use some Sirui products and so far I really like them but in the long run Gitzo is a better investment.
Dan Gunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2016, 10:58 PM   #6
Trustee

I've been using a Sachtler DV-6SB (basically the same as the FSB-8) head on Vinten 3776-3 sticks. Not the lightest support but it works great with my Sony EX3 fully loaded as well as my BMPCC fully outfited. One of the only 75mm sticks that I don't bet any wind up. It also take a hurricane for me to notice the wind, even when I'm using a really long lens.
Old August 23rd, 2016, 08:27 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Also Sachtler DV-6SB but on Miller Solo DV Carbon legs. Have had this setup for twelve years, it's been bullet proof and is fine with light to medium weight cameras. Used to have the Sachtler Video 20 back in the day with my heavy Betacam, it was really a great tripod but sold it off. Sachtler is the best. Manfrotto is my cheap, junk travel tripod, I don't trust the airlines to not lose my Sachtler but using the Manfrotto stuff is painful, it's cheap junk. Same with Benro, works fine out of the gate but it will fall apart.

With tripods, you get what you pay for. I would budget a minimum of $3k for something good that will last. My DV-6SB/Miller legs have sat under six different cameras over the past decade and it's still going strong. Sure, it was expensive but if you amortize it out over a decade, best money I have ever spent. The cheap Sachtler ACE stuff, I am very skeptical of, it seems flimsy and looks as if it will fall apart. I would stick to the traditional Sachtler stuff, not the ACE stuff.
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2016, 12:22 PM   #8
Major Player

I've got a Sachtler FSB-8 Fluid Head Speed Lock 75 Carbon-Fiber Tripod. It's my 'run n gun' outfit. But, and this is a big 'but'. The Speed-Lock 75 legs do exhibit a bit of twist if your technique is off. It's well documented on this forum and others. Still, they are some of the lightest sticks available. Now, for the 'heavyweight'. That would be my O’Connor 1030D Fluid Head and Sachtler CF-100ENG HD 2 CF Carbon-Fiber Tripod. This is a rock solid set-up! I also have a Gitzo G1325, Mk II Carbon-Fiber Tripod and Arca-Swiss Monoball Photo Head from my Photodog years. All of these choices have performed exceptionally, and will do so for many years to come.
James Kuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2016, 10:59 AM   #9
Major Player

Sachtler fluid heads on Gitzo CF legs with 75mm bowls. Much better than the Sachtler "spreader" legs. You really, truly have to try the Gitzo CF legs in person to realize how rock solid they are.
Richard D. George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2016, 09:39 AM   #10
Regular Crew

I have two that I use regularly. One setup is identical to Dan's -- a Sachtler DV-6SB head and Miller Solo carbon fiber legs. It's lightweight but a total workhorse, and I love the precision and solid locking action of the Sachtler head. I have a second set of Miller Solos with a Vinten Vision Blue head. It works almost as well but is a little heavier and doesn't feel quite as refined as the Sachtler. But I doubt anyone could ever detect a difference in the footage, and it's nearly $1000 cheaper, so it tends to get used on the rougher assignments. Love them both.

- Greg
Greg Smith is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads