DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Tripod Sticks & Heads (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/)
-   -   Sirui or iFootage Monopod question (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/534707-sirui-ifootage-monopod-question.html)

Simon Denny September 25th, 2017 01:22 AM

Sirui or iFootage Monopod question

Man I've been back and forward with these two brands and can't decide so I thought their must be some people here that have used one or the other or BOTH?

I think I need a monopod however I could be wrong with my thinking that a monopod will give me less camera shake than my hands or am I barking up the wrong tree again.... you know the GAS syndrome.

Anyway, both these sticks look great on paper, anyone using these?

Cheers, Simon

Donald McPherson September 25th, 2017 02:11 AM

Re: Sirui or iFootage Monopod question

I have the Sirui. It feels good quality, nice big feet that also becomes a low tripod. Nearer the top it has a nice pan swivel that can be locked off if required and most important for me was the price I was willing to pay.

Simon Denny September 25th, 2017 02:33 AM

Thanks Donald, the pan swivel is the thing which will win for me. Hey what head are you using?

Rob Cantwell September 25th, 2017 04:41 AM

I have a SIRUI P-224S, it's versatile enough, you cant really leave it unattended but it will stand steady on an even surface. This one is carbon fiber and lightweight.

I'm not a huge fan of the twist lock system, I find it fiddly, but then I don't use it very often as my partner has it all the time.

Simon Denny September 25th, 2017 05:13 PM

Thanks Rob.

Cheers, Simon

Donald McPherson September 26th, 2017 12:06 AM

I prefer not to use a head as I like it to be light. The swivel head is smooth, but no resistance. Sirui if you read this please put a little resistance control in. I bet it would not be hard to do.

Dave Blackhurst September 26th, 2017 06:17 PM

I've got the older Sirui that doesn't have the detachable tripod (tried one, didn't seem practical to me...), the taller versions have VERY long feet (as opposed to the Bogen/manfrotto ones). Have a simple 7 series Bogen head on it, it is plenty tall, and pretty stable, even fully extended. Picked up one used, and have picked up a couple when they come up "cheap" enough.

I'd pass on the aluminum ones (go carbon fiber!) and unless you really need the little tripod, keep an eye out for an older one used! I won't say it's "the best monopod ever", but it is a VERY handy tool that means for me on a single cam shoot that the tripods stay in the gear closet. Mine pan at the base, the later ones pan more towards the top, and having tried both, they seem to work well.

Simon Denny September 26th, 2017 06:43 PM

Thanks guys for your help,

I made a decision and purchased iFootage Cobra 2 C180 Carbon Fiber Monopod and iFootage Komodo K5 Fluid Head.

Why, I kept looking at this more so I thought... this is the one plus the quick release head and foot seemed easier for my needs with the stuff I shoot.

Cheers, Simon