Vinten at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old March 19th, 2018, 06:34 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Vinten

I saw a good deal on a Vinten Vision Blue tripod but ended up not bidding on it because it was the 5 instead of the 3. I use camcorders that weigh around 4lbs, the Panasonic UX180/90. I assume they’re to light for the vision 5?
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2018, 11:12 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Vinten

I’d agree with your assumption. I have the Vision Blue 3 and am using the Sony FS5 on it. If the camera is stripped way down with just a lens (3-4 lbs), I need to add a baseplate and elevate the camera for the counterbalance system to work properly. If you’re using a bare UX180 even the Blue 3 might be a little too beefy.
Old March 19th, 2018, 01:58 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Well that’s good to hear. I sometimes run long pan bar and the camera has to be moved forward all the way to balance but other than that its a bare camera not heavy enough.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2018, 02:21 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I've got a 5, and use it with a JVC 750 fine, if that helps. This camera is about the same weight.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2018, 05:19 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Hi guys..................

Some years ago, back when Peter Harman was Vinten Product Manager, Vinten offered a complete spring set to allow a Vision Blue X to be user resprung as a VB, a VB3 or a VB5, including required special tools and instructions on how to go about it.

It MAY have been listed on their web site but I'm blowed if I ever found it. Whether this is still available can only be answered by their current ProdMan, name unknown. There MAY be an "ask X" on their current web site which might get an answer to the above question, I haven't checked in years.

"HE/ SHE" MAY pop up here on DVinfo to inform us all, tho' given that Vitec PM's have been as rare as hens teeth here for the last few years I wouldn't hold your breath in expectation.

Regards,

CS

PS: You could (from memory - always dangerous!) also buy single springs to take an existing head up or down just one level. As long as the entire range of VB systems is still being manufactured, which I assume will remain the case for some years yet, these springs must be available, its whether Vinten will still supply them either singly or as sets.

Last edited by Chris Soucy; March 23rd, 2018 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Duh!
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2019, 07:22 PM   #6
New Boot

i have several Vision 3's and having the "spring" system has proved to be the best to go to extreme weight loads. i really wish this type of counterweight still was used.

i also have 2 - Blue 3's and will say that they are for really lightweight loads. if i put on my 1DXmkII with a 7" monitor on top of the hot shoe the Blue 3 is overwhelmed and quickly too "loose" for my tastes. i like a tight feel with "resistance" to my pushing into it. going forward id go for the "5" instead of the "3" in a heartbeat and add a little weight if needed to get the right feel.

i find the Blue's to be very limiting overall but still love the "feel" when they have a perfect load on them.

david
David Probst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2019, 05:59 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Hi David, if you went for the Blue5 to cater for the heavy loads, you could always get the blueBridge which you could use with your Blue5 for your lighter loads. The part number is V4106-1003. You can read more here Vinten | Vinten?s Vision bluebridge honoured with Digital Video Award | www.vinten.com

All the best

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads