Sachtler accessories at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old May 12th, 2019, 07:04 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Sachtler accessories

Is there any alternatives to Sachtler middle level spreader and rubber feet?
I got a great deal on a tripod and head, unfortunately it came with a floor spreader. I was shocked to find out rubber feet and spread cost just under a thousand!!!

My options
1. used spreader and feet $700
2. used legs that come with a mid level spreader $800
3. legs that don’t use a spreader like miller solo
3. adapt a less expensive brand spreader/feet.
4. try to live with it.

The reason I want a mid level spreader is I often have to straddle the last row and/or the floor stepped filming stage events (which this will be used exclusively for).

One other question what’s the quickest and best way to deploy and break down with a floor spreader. With a traditional tripod I would extend one leg at a time. That method doesn’t work with a floor spreader.

Last edited by Pete Cofrancesco; May 12th, 2019 at 09:04 AM.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2019, 06:51 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Re: Sachtler accessories

Posted on behalf of twice-decorated sterling member Alastair Traill, due to image upload wonkiness. Message to wit:

"My reply was to Pete Cofranesco in the Tripod section of DVInfonet headed 'Sachtler Spares’.

If the aim of the spreader is just to stop the legs spreading accidentally this can be achieved cheaply. I have been using stainless steel chains joined by stainless steel spring washers (see photos). The gap on the washer can be increased by twisting and then twisting back again once the link is inserted.

In one of the tripods shown the chain is attached to the tripod while on the other it is just a loop slipped over the tripod at a convenient point.

Thanks

Alastair Traill"
Attached Thumbnails
Sachtler accessories-traill-.jpg   Sachtler accessories-traill-b.jpg  

Sachtler accessories-traill-c.jpg   Sachtler accessories-traill-d.jpg  

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2019, 09:15 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Re: Sachtler accessories

Thanks great idea. I might put that to use. I had a similar idea (less sophisticated). I would detach only the one leg that straddles the row from the floor spreader and use gaffers tape to secure it to the floor. The chain would be more secure.

I also purchased legs custom made by video company on ebay MCCOM for only $200. Came in the mail today and was very happy. I still will use the Sachtler legs which are more stable and takes less space than tube spreader-less tripods legs.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads