Newbie question about tripods - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old December 6th, 2008, 10:53 PM   #16
Inner Circle

OooooK..................

Take 2:

Quotes 1 & 2:

Hmm, it's possible the LS38 camera plate is different to any other I've known and thus has a moveable VHS pin.

BTW, that's a spring loaded pin designed to engage in a matching hole in the camera to stop the camera rotating on the plate.

If that is the case and it can be moved, indeed, try to mount the plate as closely centered to the centre of gravity as possible, then lock it off and forget it.

All further adjustments with regard to camera centering on the head should be done with moving the mounting plate/ camera assembly forward or backward in the head slot.

Quote 3:

OK, the reason for counterbalance.

Unlike still cameras, which are used "locked off" (aimed at target and all controls locked to keep it there), video camera supports are designed (or should be) to allow the camera to be moved in almost any direction to follow the action.

Which creates a problem.

As the camera and mounting plate assembly are well above the pivot point of the head, it stands to reason that if the camera is tilted forward or backward, there will be a natural tendency for it to obey the laws of physics and keep on going due to its own weight.

Counterbalance is (usually) an inbuilt spring/ cam arrangement designed to prevent that happening.

On cheaper heads it's usually a fixed rate which is only perfect for one distinct camera weight/ centre of gravity arrangement.

Which means that if your camera system is too light, the counterbalance will tend to push the camera back to the horizontal. If it's too weak, it will still allow the camera to keep going in it's headlong fall.

If the fixed counterbalance of the LS38 is pushing the camera back to the horizontal (assuming it was correctly balanced in the first place), the camera is too light and this can be remedied by adding more weight.

If it's letting the camera fall, it's (the camera) too heavy and there isn't much you can do but chop the lens off (I jest!).

OK, now remember I'm talking TWO completely different things here:

1. Balance - the centre of gravity of the camera is aligned with the head pivot point - if the camera is placed horizontal with no locks or drag, it will stay there for ever.

2. Counterbalance - the mechanism which fights the growing wish of the camera to nose dive/ do a backward flip when pushed OFF the horizontal. If the counterbalance is perfectly matched to the camera COG, then no matter where the camera is put, it will stay there for ever WITH NO LOCKS APPLIED OR DRAG ON!

This is otherwise known as "head Nirvana" (aka the videographers friend).

So, your camera is TOO LIGHT.

A trick with the A1 (or any other cam with an external mic holder) is to find a container which just fits in the external mic holder and fill said container with lead shot (local gun store) till it's perfectly counterbalanced.

On my Vinten Vision 3, if I need to run my Sennheiser ME67 mic "off camera", I need to substitute an aluminium tube about a foot long, bungs at both ends, filled with small bolts to get the camera back into proper counterbalance.

PITA but it works.

Has that done the trick?

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2008, 11:13 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Thanks a ton! Everything makes perfect sense now. I'll just have to find a nice way to add weight like you have suggested. BTW, I am quite glad that it is somewhat light as opposed to being too heavy, which will mean big money down the drain.
Srinivas Swaminathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2008, 11:49 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Glad to be of service...........

Hope it works out.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2008, 08:08 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Soucy View Post
On my Vinten Vision 3, if I need to run my Sennheiser ME67 mic "off camera", I need to substitute an aluminium tube about a foot long, bungs at both ends, filled with small bolts to get the camera back into proper counterbalance.

PITA but it works.

Has that done the trick?

CS
This is what I have tried so far and it almost gets the job done. I need to fine tune it though to get perfection.
1. 1/2"x8" black steel pipe nipple (home depot)
2. Two 1/2" black steel caps (home depot)
3. Four AA cells. (old ones)

The whole thing costs about $4.6 and the pipe is slightly thinner for the A1 mic holder, need to wrap something to increase the thickness (3/4" pipe is too much).
Attached Thumbnails
Newbie question about tripods-weight.jpg  
Srinivas Swaminathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2008, 09:21 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Hey.........

I think he's got it!

Good to see.

Thanks for letting us know, it's always good to get feedback.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads