DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Tripod Sticks & Heads (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/)
-   -   What Head/Tripod for Canon XL H1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/54962-what-head-tripod-canon-xl-h1.html)

Michael Karrer November 25th, 2005 02:05 AM

What Head/Tripod for Canon XL H1

What tripod would you recommend for the Canlon XL H1:

Vinten Vision V3 Series or
Sachtler DV 8 Series

Ah and there are these manufacturer also (no clue about them):

O'Connoer
Miller
Manfrotto

If you have to spend arround lets say 1500 to 3000 and want to get the most for your money - what would you take?

I am planning to use the XL H1 with some extras mounted like small monitor hard drive and co... maybe also use it with the eos lenses.

Please help me out of the cam support dschungle - im reading all the way through those forums and other web pages - and slowly but for sure im loosing my mind on deciding the right head and tripod.

THANKS! a lot for any help.

(Sorry about my engrish)

Michael Karrer November 25th, 2005 02:12 AM

Ah .. eh another one i forgot to consider:

Cartoni...

How should one ever know what to buy - so many manufacturer so many different choices and NO lokal dealer where i could test them...

I really hope someone could help me with this.

I need it manly for corporate video and events.

Thanks again!

Owen Hughes December 7th, 2005 09:22 AM

I have Manfrotto 525 legs and 503 head for my XL2. I've not managed to get my hands on the XL-H1 yet, butI guess it's very similar.

The 503 head is amazing, fluid movement and you can adust the plate to stop the front-heavy XL2 creeping forward.

Michael Karrer December 12th, 2005 12:55 AM

TEST: camera supports for lightweight dv/hdv cams used here at dvinfo

Thanks Owen!

The Problem is, that i want some sort of comparison / review / test between all camera support systems of the various manufacturers:

1.) What are the relevant systems from
O'Connoer, Miller, Manfrotto, Vinten, Sachtler and Cartoni
that are made for cams in the range of 1 - 6 kg (or maybe 2-8 kg )

(- it makes no sence to use a sachtler DV18 system when it starts with 5 kg and the cam has only 2-4 like moste cams used here. - In the form of some sort of table... or do i miss here something?)

2.) How good did they perform in real productions and what are the pros cons of each system...

All in all: some sort of buyers guide for the Users of cams like XL1/2 HVX100/200 FX1 GY100...

This would answer a lot of newb questions... and make my headache go away ;)

Not a good idea chris ?! - could be connected to some sort of lexicon wich explains the most common therms for camera supports

(again sorry for my engrish!)

Mark Sasahara December 23rd, 2005 09:54 PM

The Cartoni's are excellent, I've just been shooting a tutorial on the Sony Z1U and we had it on the Cartoni legs with the Focus head and it's pretty good.

The Vinten Vision 6 head might be good for a bigger camera like the H1. It's continuous counterbalance is good for bigger cams. I have the Vision 3, for my XL2, but I sometimes shoot with a DVX, so the different springs help counterbalance a smaller camera like the DVX100A.

Chuck Wall February 14th, 2006 03:30 PM

Tripod for XLH1?

Hi

I am looking for a "decent" tripod and am considering the Vinten
pro-6-dc for 899 B&H.

The tripod will be in a rental environment with the XLH1.

Being the last tripod I bought was so long ago I dont
go down the wrong path.

Thanks for your help

Chuck

Peter Walter May 24th, 2006 10:20 AM

Tripod Cartoni for XL H1

Hi,

do you know the Tripod Cartoni Focus?

Thanks
Peter

Johan Forssblad May 24th, 2006 01:33 PM

Hello Peter,
Please take a look in the thread http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisplay.php?f=42 and you can find a lot about the Focus head and Cartoni sticks. This forum is for Canon XL H1 and not for tripods. Use the Search function and you could easily find what you are looking for.
Best regards /Johan

Jonathan Johnson May 24th, 2006 02:46 PM

Focus w/ XLH1

I use a Cartoni Focus head & Cartoni carbon fiber tripod w/ an XLH1.

Very light system, very smooth movement on the head. I don't plan on buying another tripod for a long time. Easy to setup w/ the XLH1, even w/ the front heavy lens.

My only problem so far's been the adaptability of the head. Was recently on a shoot at SXSW in Austin that required a taller tripod and on short notice I couldn't rent a tripod that would accomodate the ball connector of the Focus.

XLH1 had enough res to let me keep the cam still on a junk tripod minus head and then deliver a DVD w/ zooms, pans and cuts all done in post. First question people ask about the footage is how many cameras did I have set up. :)

Chris Hurd May 24th, 2006 05:36 PM

Moved here from the XL H1 forum; left behind a re-directing link.

Peter Walter May 25th, 2006 03:00 AM

Thanks,

than I can buy this tripod.

Peter

Johan Forssblad May 25th, 2006 04:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Walter
Thanks,
than I can buy this tripod.
Peter

Hey Peter,
Before you run away and give your money to Cartoni I would like to tell you to take a look at the Cartoni Focus Head combined with the Manfrotto 542 ART. This is described in the tripod thread but you seems to be in a hurry so I will tell you some of it here.
I first ordered the Cartoni sticks (two stage, carbon). When it arrived I found it was much more heavy than advertised! Also the head is more heavy. Cartoni must weigh their things before they are assembled with pan bar and camera plate etc!
Then Ernest House here told me about this great combination and it appears to be the first tripod invention in 100 years! You push a button, pull and spread the sticks and your tripod is set to your required height. You collect the sticks and push down. Ready to carry again! Adjustable and integrated spreader which is not on the floor. (The weight of Cartoni did not count their heavy spreader.) Way better engineered than the Cartoni expensive sticks. My Cartoni sticks were stuck and glued together so I couldn't raise it when it arrived. I had to use a sledge to open it!
I returned my Cartoni sticks and got the money back but kept the good Focus head! I don't regret it for a second. However, you need to read the solution how to fit those parts together and you need to recut a thread. Well worth it! BTW, I also use it for the XL H1. No front heavy problem at all. Buy a remote control to put on the pan bar for start and stop of the camera.
Every time I set up this tripot I am smiling to everybody looking!
Tschüs! / Johan