Cartoni Beta head at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old January 25th, 2006, 11:09 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Cartoni Beta head

I was going to purchase the Cartoni Focus. I recently worked with one on a shoot and loved it but the owner told me that he's already noticing problems with the drag function for tilting. He says the pan drag is much stronger than the tilt drag and doesn't give him the kind of professional control he prefers... so I'm turning my attention to the discontinued Cartoni Beta. I use a Canon XL2 so I think the head will work for my camera. Anyone out there own one? What do you think?

Thanks in advance for your replies,

Daniel Riser
Old January 26th, 2006, 06:23 AM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Riser
I was going to purchase the Cartoni Focus. I recently worked with one on a shoot and loved it but the owner told me that he's already noticing problems with the drag function for tilting. He says the pan drag is much stronger than the tilt drag and doesn't give him the kind of professional control he prefers... so I'm turning my attention to the discontinued Cartoni Beta. I use a Canon XL2 so I think the head will work for my camera. Anyone out there own one? What do you think?
Daniel Riser
Interesting comment on the Focus. I thought there was something wrong with the counterbalance and tilt drag adjustment on mine and the "user manual" wasn't clear on the allowable ranges for the settings. The counterbalance was apparently set to the strongest setting and the tilt was very stiff for my Z1. I had to dial a lot of CB out in order to get it to balance. The drag on both axes seems to have plenty of range on mine. What did they have mounted on it?
Jim Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2006, 10:49 AM   #3
Regular Crew

A Canon XL2.

If you noticed the same thing then the director didn't get a defective head but this must be a design flaw.

I wonder if the beta has similiar issues.

I guess I'll lean toward Sachtler now
Old January 27th, 2006, 06:28 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I have a FOcus and I don't experience what you describe. One thing I did was reposition the attachment screw on the plate so I could move my camera further forward on the head and thereby get better balance when I trick out the MA100 with a bunch of accessories.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2006, 12:00 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I will recommend that to the director of that show I was on and may re-consider purchasing the focus over a used Sachtler.

What is the weight of your camera sir?

Highest Regards,

Daniel Riser
Old January 27th, 2006, 01:23 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I am unsure of the total weight. It is an XL1s with MA100 and 2 SK100 Sennheiser receivers mounted on the ma100... maybe 8 pounds altogether....the balance is key.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads