Z1 / FX1 tripod recommendation - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old October 21st, 2006, 04:50 AM   #46
Major Player

Im running a Miller DS10 Solo with my Z1, works perfectly with a shotgun, radio reciever and sun gun. Although i can't say i've had a mattebox or follow focus set up on it. Although im sure it'd take it fine. Miller make great sticks and heads.
Joe Lawry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2006, 12:59 PM   #47
Regular Crew

Progrep on my tripod search to support my Z1

I posted to start this thread. Right now I have a set of Bogen 3040 legs, Bogen leveler, and 501 head. I'm lloking for something new that is a better fit for HD. I am still looking, but probably won't sell this set of sticks. It has a raisable center column which is handy for some situations, and the 501 head, although anything but great, is better than some fancier rigs.

I was at a trade show and got to compare some of the models. So far the front runner is the Sachtler DV6SB with 3-stage CF legs. I saw the Cartoni pods at the WEVA trade show, but the HiDV model and others suited for the Z1 have been out of stock, and I have lost patience with them. I would be afraid to need a spare or repair part for one of their systems.

Aside from the Sachtler, I thought the Vintens were smoothest. As to Miller, I'd have to move up to one of the Arrow models for the performance I need.

No decision yet. I post a followup.
Mark Goldberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2006, 09:52 AM   #48
Regular Crew

"I was at a trade show and got to compare some of the models. So far the front runner is the Sachtler DV6SB with 3-stage CF legs. "

I have the DV6 head and have used it with the FX-1. It is a great fit especially if you have wireless, shotgun and light. One thing to consider is the sticks, there is an aluminum version of the called 75L, it is a 2 stage. Notice the wider bottom tube. I found this version to have the least amount of flex when raised to eye level. I found more flex in the Carbon fiber and alum 3 stage pods, kind of odd since they are both more expensive than the 75L alum version. One draw back is that the 75L does not go as low as the others but I have found I would rather use a steady bag on the ground when I want low effect shots. The recent addition of a mid level spreader has made the Sachtler DV6 sytem one of the best in its class in my opinion. The nice thing is that if you rent a larger camera you can still use this tripod since it can handle up to 20 lbs. I have used it with betacams and Sony full size DV cams with good results. You could get away with using a XDHDcam with this system and save a little rental hassle by already having the support. Keep in mind it is not ideal for these larger cameras but it work for rentals and it does not harm the head but you have to keep the ball very tight.
Jerry Mohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2006, 08:09 PM   #49
Inner Circle

Hi Mark:

I have been using the Sachtler DV-6SB with the Miller Solo DV carbon fibre legs and it is a dream setup with the HVX-200. I would think would also be likewise with your Z1.

I have tried out just about everything on the market and while there are lots of good ones out there, I always come back to Sachtler, they just feel "right" to me, probably since I used a Video 18 with my Betacam for 6 years. The Miller heads are not quite the same to me. I like the Vintens but I always figure if I can afford Vinten, I can also afford a Sachtler and I like the Sachtler just a bit better although if someone bought me one, I would love it.

Good luck,

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2006, 10:35 AM   #50
Regular Crew

What do you use for FX1

im finally getting a real camera thats HD and i cant actually wait and wanted to know what other people use? what tripod and what head? thanks in advance. im still reading through the forums and getting a good idea of what it what but all the help i can get would be appreciated :-)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads