That dreaded hex plate at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old February 15th, 2006, 07:15 AM   #1
Trustee

That dreaded hex plate

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but this happened to me again recently. The hexagonal quick-release plate on many older Bogen tripods has a SERIOUS flaw. It is possible to partially engage the plate on the tripod/monopod head. I recently had an experienced operator prep a camera for me and this situation happended. Fortunately, I caught it before the camera fell off the head. It had been so long since I had done this that I did not catch it immediately. At first, I thought the sticks were uneven. It wasn't until I panned around after leveling the sticks (on a flat floor) and still had an unlevel issue that I thought to look at the plate. Needless to say, this could have been a PD170 being sold on ebay for salvage/parts. Be careful with those things!

I have banished the hex plate from my equipment and replaced it with a Bogen 503 head and long (501plong) QR plate. I also got a QR adapter assembly (Bogen 577) for my monopod so I can go mobile quickly. The long plate will allow me to balance the camera on either setup.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2006, 03:06 PM   #2
Major Player

The 501 head's safety catch has saved me before, I was shooting some stuff at a waterfall when i picked up the tripod and leaned it to bring up the legs i had forgot to tighten the plate in and the whole camera (xl1s) slid off and would have went over the cliff had it not been for the catch. my heart skipped a beat that time.

Andy.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads