Looking for a good economical tripod at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old March 5th, 2006, 02:24 PM   #1
Trustee

Looking for a good economical tripod

I have a Optex T465. It is ok. And by ok I mean it is serviceable if you don't want to pan, tilt or expect it to stay in position while you adjust the focus.
So I am looking for a new tripod that won't kill me bank account, but give me the stability for the rod/rail support I have - and most importantly won't give me the shakes when using the pan/tilt function (smoother control).

Any suggestions?
David Delaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2006, 02:34 PM   #2
Major Player

Tripod

What kind of camera?
Jack D. Hubbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2006, 02:42 PM   #3
Old Boot

What budget you on?

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2006, 02:46 PM   #4
Trustee

Well,
I paid about $75 for the T465, money not well spent. I want to spend under $200.00 if I can. The camera is just a mini-dv, but I want to upgrade to an consumer/prosumer HD camera in the future - maybe the ZU1
Old March 5th, 2006, 04:33 PM   #5
Regular Crew

When do you plan to upgrade? The issue is that the z1 and a much smaller camera require different tripods, and you can probably get away with a cheaper head for your current camera. I have read here that the minimum for the z1 is the 501 head and the 3221 legs. http://tinyurl.com/qpdw8

I'm not sure you'll have too much luck finding a decent tripod for the z1 for under 200.
Mike Toledano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2006, 06:25 PM   #6
Major Player

You have issues of durability, weight, and ability give the right support. I use the 3221 legs with Gitzo Head with an adjusting ball; is sturdy and serviceable; I look my Gitzo carbon legs better, because they only weigh 4 lbs; with the head, about 8 lbs. If you carry it all day, it makes a huge difference. The 3221 and the Gitzo weigh around 11.5. Don't about the 501 combo, but suspect it also weighs about 11. The Gitzo legs have twist releases, not levers, which some people don't like. I love them, only a quarter turn and the legs are down. You have to spend some money. Don't chintz on camera support it is an absolute necessity to have a solid platform. For any decent legs, figure about $250 to $300, the same for a head, and about $100 for a ball leveller. I know, that is about $700...but if you are serious...This also a place where you can buy used equipment, if it has been used but not abused. And it is an piece of gear that will last you through a Z1 and beyond.

Last edited by Jack D. Hubbard; March 6th, 2006 at 12:05 AM. Reason: word fix
Jack D. Hubbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2006, 07:01 PM   #7
Trustee

In about a week, I am going to post reviews of amvona.com (an ebay store) tripods. I got one set of carbon fiber sticks from them and have mostly good thoughts about it. I am getting another set (heavier duty) and will post reviews if it looks good. I don't want to recommend the company until I have more than one experience with them. Their carbon fiber sticks can be had for under $75 shipped. I haven't tried getting a sticks/head combo, so I won't review their video heads.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2006, 08:30 PM   #8
Trustee

Thanks for the input everyone. Marcus I am looking forward to your review.
Old March 6th, 2006, 12:26 PM   #9
Trustee

I just finished looking at the Amvona pro-tripods (pistol grip) - how do they stack up? Are they worth it?
Old March 6th, 2006, 04:28 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D. Hubbard
Don't chintz on camera support it is an absolute necessity to have a solid platform. ...it is an piece of gear that will last you through a Z1 and beyond.
Jack's right. A good tripod is an investment that never loses value. You can have "too much" tripod for a given camera, but that's far better than having "too little". Same general rule also applies to microphones and filters. Buy once, use forever. If you ever do sell, they'll pay you back in full.
Old March 9th, 2006, 08:50 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Looking for good entry level tripod for Xl-2

I'm looking for an solid tripod but nothing too expensive for my Canon XL-2. If I have to pay a little more, I will as I realize you need a sturdy tripod with a smooth fluid head. Budget @ $300. Any suggestions?
Charles Penn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads