FWIW: Nice combination... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old March 30th, 2006, 01:42 PM   #1
Trustee

FWIW: Nice combination...

I've been lucky enough to pick up a very nice Sachtler tripod on eBay. However, the legs were the very bottom end, the head was a DV8. Suffice to say that if you pan or tilt too quickly, the legs would creak and bend.

The main point is that I've now put the Sachtler head on Miller DS-10 carbon fibre legs and it seems to be a match made in heaven. The Miller legs have a far greater height range, are quicker to adjust and are far more comfortable to carry over the Sachtler legs.

For a Z1, perhaps the DV8 is overkill, but I didn't like the DS-10 head from Miller - the pan friction didn't match the tilt, and I got 'stiction' on higher drag settings on the pan.

I had a Vinten Pro-5, which was a great step up from the photographic legs I 'inherited' (long story) and the price was great too, but it rapidly demonstrated that if you want to fluidly follow a subject and do subtle moves over time, the Vinten is NOT going to deliver. It's good for the money, but it's not good enough for pro use. Maybe the legs are good, but the head is what you pay for.

OTH The 503 combo i've subsequently hired was good in use, but darned uncomfortable to transport on the shoulder, overly heavy for a Z1 too.

If eBay didn't have a Sachtler head avaiable, I'd probably take a 503 head and put it on Miller's DS-10 legs.

FWIW: I shoot events - lots of subtle 'follow the presenter' moves, lots of quick location changes, lots of lugging Z1 kit and legs, mostly on even ground, mostly talking heads and GVs, but occasionally anything that goes. :-)

HTH. - M.
Matt Davis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads