DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Tripod Sticks & Heads (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/)
-   -   Can't remove head from tripod! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/6420-cant-remove-head-tripod.html)

Adrian Seah January 28th, 2003 02:45 PM

Can't remove head from tripod!

Hi there everyone,

I've got a problem here I hope someone will be able to solve. It seems relatively straightforward but here it goes...

I've got a 055SSB Manfrotto/ Bogen tripod and a 501 head. I have not removed the head from the tripod since I bought it and first fixed it on. However, I need to remove the head from the tripod now and it seems to be stuck! I removed the 3 screws at the bottom, and tried turning the head anti- clockwise (relative to the tripod column) but despite 'locking' the head as tightly as I could, all I managed to do was to turn the head and not unscrew it from the tripod column (hope I'm making sense here...) I've tried putting a bit of olive oil (don't laugh, I didn't have WD-40 with me) but since the actual screw that holds the head to the tripod column is hidden, it didn't do any good.

I need to remove the head! Help! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Adrian

Jeff Donald January 28th, 2003 11:21 PM

Get a friend to hold the center column with a pair of channel locks (BIG pliers). You need to prevent the center column from slipping and pliers are the only way I know.

Mike Rehmus January 30th, 2003 08:21 PM

NOOOOOoooooooo!

Use a pair of strap-wrenches. They won't mar the column or the head and will give you plenty of leverage.

You can buy them in pairs from many home depot types of places. The large one would be used on the head, the smaller on the column. The good ones have aluminum handles and plastic straps.

Chris Hurd January 31st, 2003 12:30 AM

I have to side with Mike on this one.

Frank Granovski January 31st, 2003 12:57 AM

Trust me on this one.

Spray a little WD-40 in there, and then in a few minutes, you won't need to use any elbow grease nor any heavy duty tools that may damage the tripod.

Adrian Seah January 31st, 2003 03:32 AM

Thanks everyone for the help,

Despite my best efforts ( and soaking the thing in WD 40), it refused to come off and I brought it back to Calumet where I bought it and the guy simply told me not to look and whacked it with a rubber mallet and it came off! Looks like violence pays sometimes!

Thanks anyway!

Adrian

Kyle De Priest February 1st, 2003 12:41 AM

How funny, I have the same problem.
I have a bogen 3211 tripod with a 3160 head that I hate. I just bought a 501, but I'll be damned if I can get the 3160 off. I removed the 3 screws, but there seems to be a bolt that runs down the center of the head. I can't get to it with a wrench.
Are the 3 screws the only thing that holds the head on? I have a rubber mallot, but I'm tooo skeered to use it!
Thanks
-Kyle

Frank Granovski February 1st, 2003 04:28 AM

Don't be afraid of using a rubber mallet, after you spray a little bit of WD-40 in 'er.