Opinions on the Sachtler DV-4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old January 8th, 2002, 03:25 PM   #1
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Opinions on the Sachtler DV-4

Does anyone have experience with, and opinions concerning, the Sachtler DV-4 head and tripod system for use with the XL1 / XL1s?

I've been using a big ol' Bogen 3066 head on 3046 legs. I've been partial to geared centerpost designs but am thinking that a levelling bowl design might be more practical for field work. So I've been looking at comparable Bogen, Sachtler and Vinten (Vision) support systems.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

(Sidebar: Does anyone know of a head that connects to the camera's Lanc jack and enables a Varizoom -or other- controller to automatically be engaged/disengaged through the footplate? It sure would save some pain -and cord-yanking- when grabbing the cam off of the sticks for a handheld shot.)

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2002, 12:24 PM   #2
globalvillage

I've always been underwhelmed by Bogen camera support systems. I've used them. I've owned them. They do the job, just not that well, especially with larger cameras. They are, however, affordable, and I think that may be their greastest selling point. I just wish they were designed better.

Sachtler makes a great tripod. It's a shame they're so expensive. If you're looking into one, you may want to look at the DV 8. It's oversized, but I think it gives you more stability and smoother motion. Plus, the DV 8 gives you five levels of drag, as opposed to the two levels offered in the DV 4.

A reasonably priced alternative is Miller's DS-10 tripod system ($1699.00 at B & H). Check it out.

My thoughts on claw ball leveling systems? A must have.

Bill Schlosser
Old January 16th, 2002, 04:11 PM   #3

And The Winner Was...

A Miller DS-10!

The Sachtler DV-8 was the first runner-up with it's additional capacity and its semi-precise drag adjustments. But for $2,500...whew!

For my needs and camera the Miller DS-10 was the ideal choice.

- The drag is very nicely controllable. The head is reportedly designed with the XL1/s in mind and shows no sign of being tipsy.

- The plate offers more than adequate sliding adjustment to compensate the balance for various lenses. (I bought the extra plate featuring the locking pin and screw.)

- The DS-10 comes with a very nicely designed triangular padded case,

- There is a shoulder strap on both the case and the tripod.

- The unit features an above-ground spreader, which I prefer over an on-ground.

- Removable flat rubber feet for floors and pavement, double-spiked feet above those.

All in all I'm as happy as a clam. The Miller is far better for my needs than my previous Bogen (not to mention that it's a higher-quality product). Thanks very much, Bill, for your opinion. It genuiniely helped me hone-in on what I needed. The Miller wasn't really on my radar screen until you noted it.

Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

Old January 16th, 2002, 04:44 PM   #4
globalvillage

Glad I could be of help!

Bill S.
Old January 16th, 2002, 11:57 PM   #5
gratedcheese

Ken:

I was impressed with what you were saying about the Miller DS-10. I went to the B&H site and tried to find that setup, but I was unsuccessful.

Could you please provide me with a link to any site that describes the setup that you have?

Thanks, brother!
Old January 17th, 2002, 12:29 AM   #6

Sure, G.C. Here 'tis. (It's a long honker of a URL.)

http://www01.bhphotovideo.com/default.sph/FrameWork.class?FNC=ProductActivator__Aproductlist_html___179036___MIDS10AGKQ___REG___CatID=3909___S ID=EBA8C0653B0

The B&H catalog number is MIDS10AGKQ .

You might note that the model with the on-ground spreader and 2-stage legs is a bit pricier. But I suppose that if you anticipate needing to make very low mounted shots it might better fit your needs.

Old January 17th, 2002, 08:39 AM   #7
globalvillage

I'm going to jump in here and recommend mid-level spreaders. They make it much, much easier to set up your sticks on uneven terrain. Imagine trying to set up your tripod on stairs using ground spreaders. I also like 2-stage legs. More money, but again, more flexibility.

Bill S.
Old January 17th, 2002, 03:32 PM   #8
Regular Crew

And with the old set up?

Ken - are you looking to part with the 3046.3066 set up? If so, I might be interested.
Wayde G
Wayde Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2002, 03:32 PM   #9
Regular Crew

And with the old set up?

Ken - are you looking to part with the 3046.3066 set up? If so, I might be interested.
Wayde G

BTW what part of Chi town are you in? I get up there quite often. Usually downtown but visit a couple of friends in Schamburg and Mount Prospect.

www.rightfieldfilms.com
Old January 17th, 2002, 03:35 PM   #10
Regular Crew

And with the old set up?

Wayde G

BTW what part of Chi town are you in? I get up there quite often. Usually downtown but visit a couple of friends in Schambuerg and Mount Prospect.
Old January 17th, 2002, 03:43 PM   #11

Wayde

Yes, in fact I am planning to offer my Manfrotto for sale. Send me an email and I'll reply with the particlars of it. It's in brand-new condition, never taken in the field.

My email: kentanaka@att.net

Old January 21st, 2002, 01:45 PM   #12
Major Player

Manfrotto/Bogen 3283B/503 report

Hello all:

I just wanted to add my experience (as a newbie) with my recently purchased Manfrotto/Bogen 3283B tripod with 503 head. Over-all, I must agree with Bill in that I'm underwhelmed.

While adjustability of the tripod is fine with me, my main issue is with the friction/drag adjustments (both for tilt and pan) of the head:

- When friction is set high, smooth movements are easily possible, but the friction to initiate the movement is so high that it results in a jerky start

- When friction is set low, smooth starts are possible, but then the friction is too low to smooth-out the differences in my maintaining the movement.

If more experienced folks have any hints on how to improve on what I've experienced, I'd be very glad to hear you out!

Cheers,

Ron
Ron Pfister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2002, 04:12 PM   #13
craig-pancrack

XL1 & Sachtler DV4 opinion...

Been using one for 2 years and i'm mixed...Sachlter always quality, very robust , quick to set up, the leveling bowl is a total essential feature. The pan tilt locks are solid as are the legs locks HOWEVER...i don't think the fluid head is smooth enough, i have to pan and tilt many takes to get it right, must have cost me a small fortune in extra tape stock. i recently used a Vinten Pro 5, ithnk it was called and the head was very smooth but the rest seemed a little plasticky cheapo. Also on DV4, there isa only 1 level of drag. I'm l;ooking for a replacement maybe the next model up cos I've always used Sachlter since the old anvil on legs days of Umatic and Beta.

Cheers!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads