DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Tripod Sticks & Heads (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/)
-   -   What tripod are you using? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/66923-what-tripod-you-using.html)

Lisa Bennett May 8th, 2006 02:47 PM

What tripod are you using?

Hi,

I'm needing to get a different tripod to use with the GY-HD100U. I'd like to know what others are using so I can make a decision.

Thank you
Lisa

Gary Morris McBeath May 8th, 2006 03:04 PM

Sachtler DV-6SB head; perfect for balancing this camera in all its various weight configurations, and very smooth pan and tilt fluid mechanisms. You can use their sticks (several models available), or consider what I did: I do a lot of field work, so I wanted a lightweight but reasonably stiff set of sticks. I mated the Sachtler 75mm ball head to a Miller SoloDV carbon fiber tripod. Not quite as steady as the Sachtler sticks, but easy to set up, lightweight to carry. For more critical shots (and where I don't have to pack in a mile), I can hang a sandbag on it and it is as solid as any other.

Hope this helps.

Gary Morris McBeath
SaltAire Cinema Productions

Lisa Bennett May 8th, 2006 03:23 PM

Hi Gary,

Thank you for the reply. I appreciate the information.

For a different camera I have been using my Bogen 3021 legs and 3031 head are great. I have an ITE tripod that needs a new head. The legs are very sturdy but big so not good if moving around alot. But if I can find a head for the ITE it would make a great tripod for sturdiness. The head on it now is not in the best shape. Otherwise, I've been considering a different head for the Bogen 3021 legs. I did get some input from a person in the forum that made a suggestion to me about a different head that would work fine with the 3021 legs. Today I called a place and they said they wouldn't suggest my using the 3021 legs. But, I kinda think they wanted me to buy a fancy setup from them.

Anyway, hoping suggestions from people that are actually using the HD100U will help me to decide.

Thank you again,
Lisa

Craig Roblewsky May 8th, 2006 04:00 PM

I just recently upgraded to a pair of HD100's (love them) and we have been using the Bogen 3046 legs with a 501 video head. Its a pretty sturdy setup without weighing a ton. Theres my 2 cents.

- Craig

Stephen L. Noe May 8th, 2006 04:00 PM

The Libec LZ-70 is a great tripod/head combo.

BTW: Isn't the 3031 Bogen's micro head/stick combination?

Lisa Bennett May 8th, 2006 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen L. Noe
The Libec LZ-70 is a great tripod/head combo.

BTW: Isn't the 3031 Bogen's micro head/stick combination?

Hi,

I should have typed 3130 head with the 3021 legs. Sorry for the mistake.

Thanks for the LZ-70 tip.

Best,
Lisa

Lisa Bennett May 8th, 2006 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig Roblewsky
I just recently upgraded to a pair of HD100's (love them) and we have been using the Bogen 3046 legs with a 501 video head. Its a pretty sturdy setup without weighing a ton. Theres my 2 cents.

- Craig

Hi Craig,

I was considering a 501 or 503 but wasn't sure if the 3021 legs would be enough for the weight of camera and the extra items that I still need to get.

I like the ITE too that I have but it requires a plate which I don't have. Made a call to a camera place today but they had never heard of the ITE. I guess it's older. It's nice but not sure where I could get a new head or plate for it.

Thanks for the info on the 3046 legs.

Best,
Lisa

Joe Bowey May 8th, 2006 04:58 PM

Lisa, check out the cartoni focus 101 tripod . I bought one at NAB and it is about as good as you get for under $1500.
The sachtler is the best but for twice the price. That will be my next tripod.
P.S. bought my camera a month ago to get in on the free battery special. No battery yet and a week for the tripod. I am getting tired of wiating for equipment I purchased.

Daniel Wang May 8th, 2006 08:57 PM

Ha ha ITE

Sorry for the thread hijack but...

ITE was bought out by... I think Matthews (that place where all the C-stands come from) a few years ago. They made ...some of the best heavy duty legs. I still see them in use (with newer Vinten Vector heads) at most of the sports events and other stuff, usually the 150 or 200+ mm bowl, OB/Studio camera with box lens. Typically, they are the metal legs that lock with a metal peg, and then a metal or strong plastic bowl. They are great legs, heavy as heck, but great. Call over to Matthews and I'm sure they might be able to help. BTW - I think Matthews does Libec too.

Sam Hancock May 9th, 2006 02:04 AM

miller tripod system

I'm shooting short narratives with an HD100 and I picked up a Miller SOLO DS20 system with alloy sticks for about $1400.

I'm not thrilled by the "drag" option which is friction not fluid, and basically on or off with no levels in between. I'm also not crazy about the fact that you cannot take the head out of drag mode completely, allowing you whip pan. That said the base level of drag is smooth as silk and probobly right at the level I would mostly want it even if I had the option of true variable fluid drag (which the more expensive Sachtler DV-6SB head does provide). Also I'm grateful for the ball base and leveler which I know some of the less expensive bogen/manfrotto systems are lacking.

The sticks are awesome. The locks at the top of each leg allow me to put them at all sorts of crazy angles for tight indoor and uneven outdoor location shooting, and still feel like I have a solid base.

Lisa Bennett May 9th, 2006 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel Wang
Sorry for the thread hijack but...

ITE was bought out by... I think Matthews (that place where all the C-stands come from) a few years ago. They made ...some of the best heavy duty legs. I still see them in use (with newer Vinten Vector heads) at most of the sports events and other stuff, usually the 150 or 200+ mm bowl, OB/Studio camera with box lens. Typically, they are the metal legs that lock with a metal peg, and then a metal or strong plastic bowl. They are great legs, heavy as heck, but great. Call over to Matthews and I'm sure they might be able to help. BTW - I think Matthews does Libec too.

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for the info. I really like the ITE tripod that I have. The legs are extra sturdy. The head had some problems but I took it apart and it seems to be working better. So, I'm wondering if it would be best to just buy a plate.

So I'm looking at a plate for the ITE versus a head for my Bogen 3021 legs.

Thanks a bunch,
Lisa

Lisa Bennett May 9th, 2006 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam Hancock
I'm shooting short narratives with an HD100 and I picked up a Miller SOLO DS20 system with alloy sticks for about $1400.

I'm not thrilled by the "drag" option which is friction not fluid, and basically on or off with no levels in between. I'm also not crazy about the fact that you cannot take the head out of drag mode completely, allowing you whip pan. That said the base level of drag is smooth as silk and probobly right at the level I would mostly want it even if I had the option of true variable fluid drag (which the more expensive Sachtler DV-6SB head does provide). Also I'm grateful for the ball base and leveler which I know some of the less expensive bogen/manfrotto systems are lacking.

The sticks are awesome. The locks at the top of each leg allow me to put them at all sorts of crazy angles for tight indoor and uneven outdoor location shooting, and still feel like I have a solid base.

Hi Sam,

That makes it a ton easier when you can adjust for the angles. My Bogen is good about that. I've had the Bogen now for years and been happy with it just for this camera I'm wondering if it might not be able to handle the weight. I've heard from some that say it will work fine and then one guy that said no way. Don't want to spend alot on it right now because I have some other equipment I want to get like mics, light meter and light kit.

Thanks for the info on Miller. I'm glad to hear what people are using so I have some options.

Best Regards,
Lisa