How do I attached ball to tripod? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old May 8th, 2006, 06:26 PM   #1
Regular Crew

How do I attached ball to tripod?

Howdy...

I recently bought (from this forum) a set of Bogen 442 carbonone legs, and it has a 75mm ball receiver on it. I bought a bogen 1/2 ball from B&H, but although the top fits nicely, the bottom handle (where you tighten it) won't fit in the recepticle between the tripod's legs. There is a 'flange' there, and the handle doesn't fit it, and therefor I can't tighten the ball...

Any thoughts? Am I doing something obviously wrong? I can post some photos if this isn't something anyone's seen before...

Thanks...

Best,

Benjamin

----------------------------------------------------------
http://www.neo-fight.tv [The "Techno-Debate" Video Podcast]
Ben Freedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2006, 06:47 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Twins---But one is shorter!

Ben,

There are two different 75mm adaptors for the Bogen tripods. One has a shorter handle and that is probably where you are having problems. I could not fine the tripod number you listed but check out these two different adaptors. It is easy to get confused if this is the trouble.

At least you didn't do something as stupid as I did. Bought a 75mm tripod and made the mistake of ordering a 100mm adaptor. Good thing B&H is nice about returns.

Mike

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search
Old May 8th, 2006, 07:37 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I don't think that's the issue, as both of these handles seem to have the black flange directly beneath the ball, which is the part that isn't fitting. It looks like the only difference is the length of the handle...

Thanks for the thought. Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Best,

Benjamin
Old May 8th, 2006, 07:42 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Freedman
I don't think that's the issue, as both of these handles seem to have the black flange directly beneath the ball, which is the part that isn't fitting. It looks like the only difference is the length of the handle...

Thanks for the thought. Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Best,

Benjamin

Ben,

Try pealing away the black flange, as it is probably the washer that goes underneath. It may be just stuck on there from assembly and shipping. I'm sure if it is a Bogen Product that it will fit.

Mike
Old May 8th, 2006, 07:46 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks again, Mike...

The black flange is made of metal, and if I remove it, the entire handle can fit through the ball receiver's hole, thereby rendering it impossible to tighten...

Best,

Benjamin
Old May 8th, 2006, 07:50 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Freedman
Thanks again, Mike...

The black flange is made of metal, and if I remove it, the entire handle can fit through the ball receiver's hole, thereby rendering it impossible to tighten...

Best,

Benjamin

The black flange is the washer that holds it in place. It goes to the bottom of the mount, between the head and the tripod. It is what the handle pushes against or secures to the bottom of the tripod. Remove the flange, put the ball into the tripod, replace the flange and then attach the handle.

Mike
Old May 8th, 2006, 07:59 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Hi, Mike...

Thanks again for all the help...

So, the black flange that you're talking about, is a removable 'washer' that is attached to the handle with a c-clip.

The ball fits nice and snug in the receiver. Thats not a problem...

The issue is that there is a black, metal flange that is part of the tripod legs (not part of the ball system) that is too long to allow any of the threaded part of the ball to protrude from between the legs of the tripod.

If I use the black washer you mention, there is not enough thread on the ball to reach the handle. If I remove the black washer, the handle can slide through the hole, and therefore cannot be tightened...

Any ideas?

Best,

Benjamin
Old May 8th, 2006, 08:02 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Ben,

Just mailed my 100mm back to B&H today, and my 75mm will not be here until Wednesday, so can't put it in my hand on one and talk you thought it. Send me those pictures you were talking about. My email is in my profile. A picture should clear thinhgs up.

Mike
Old May 8th, 2006, 08:34 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Here are some pics...

One is the handle with the 'washer'. The other is the bottom of the tripod between the legs.

Does that give any clue?

Best,

Ben

Last edited by Ben Freedman; June 8th, 2006 at 12:09 PM.
Old May 8th, 2006, 08:42 PM   #10
Inner Circle

The tripod looks strange, what is the exact model number? Does the handle fit inside the bottom hole? Something looks wrong about it.

Mike
Old May 8th, 2006, 08:52 PM   #11
Inner Circle

I'll try posting a picture of mine tomorrow.

Mike

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads