New head for my Bogen/Manfrotto tripod at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old May 15th, 2006, 07:22 AM   #1
Major Player

New head for my Bogen/Manfrotto tripod

I need help with a new video head for my Bogen/Manfrotto tripod. I originally bought it for my Digital SLR, but now use it for my video camera. Therefore, I want to put a specialized video head on the tripod. The tripod legs are of the type Manfrotto 055DB (http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/cache/offonce/pid/2274?livid=68|69&idx=71) and I want this video head (http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/cache/offonce/pid/2353?livid=80|86&idx=87). My question is: do I need anything to make it fit? Or can I just put it on.
Floris van Eck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2006, 01:03 AM   #2
Regular Crew

It should go right on there without any adaptor.
Nick Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2006, 02:04 AM   #3
Major Player

Hi there Floris

If you are putting a video head on sticks intended for stills you'll need a way of levelling your camera..
http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/cache/offonce/pid/3204
This does the job nicely...

however I found photo legs a pain in the backside to use for video.. you'll be moving around a lot and continually replacing and adjusting your pod...dedicated video legs just make the operation so much easier and quicker.. you'll need two hands to set up a photo tripod and level it, where as I can do it with one hand on a video pod...
This is the one I have and is well priced:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

I went the same road you are, and it is a frustrating compromise.. you'll end up getting the video pod in the end I'm sure... so for the price difference between the head and the adaptor.. I'd get the whole pod kit if your budget will stretch to it.

Cheers
Gareth
Gareth Watkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2006, 02:09 AM   #4
Major Player

That looks very nice. But I do not think that setup is portable (I want to take it with me on a hiking trip). It weighs 12,5lb (6KG) compared to the 2KG may current tripod with head weighs. But for more serious work, like the documentaries I want to shot, it looks pretty good to me.

And you are right about the $200 extra, I think it is worth it. But what are the exact differences between a photo and video pod then? I see that they have different legs but the idea behind that is?
Floris van Eck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2006, 02:38 AM   #5
Major Player

Hi Floris

Having used both I can say the differences are notable, but I think speed and ease of operation are the most important ones. Aside the fluid head, which is indispensible for video....with its sliding quick release plate...you don't want to be unscrewing your camera every five minutes.

1) You get a proper bowl to level you camera easily..with spirit level, 75mm or 100mm. It has a handle that sticks down under the head, to the centre of the legs and is easy to adjust quickly.

2) If you use a spreader on the feet I find it easy to raise the tripod with one hand.. you just unclip the quick releases, and raise it in one movement.. With a photo tripod especially the Gitzo I had the screw thread adjusters were a real pain if over tightened, and difficult with cold hands... It involved putting the camera down, wrestling with the thing upside down.. then levelling and replacing the camera...great fun..

3) The legs are much more sturdy and stable... this matters less fior stills unless you are shooting slow speed marcro... but for smooth steady pans you need a sturdy base...

I personally like the base spreaders, as I can flick the thing closed with my toe, and move on to the next shot...they stop the legs splaying out too much.

Yes the pod I mentioned is heavy.. I curse it all the time... at extra cost you can get carbon legs though.

As to a hiking pod.. well you can get smaller ones.. but they are often a compromise in stability.. Generally speaking the bigger the camera the bigger the pod.. when I shot soem fashion on digibeta the Vinten pods even though they hard carbon legs were bigger and more awkward..

Even if you curse lugging around a heavy pod... I do on every shoot... each time I'm tempted to handhold, I regret it.. the footage off the pod just makes it worth the trouble...

Regards
Gareth
Gareth Watkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2006, 02:50 AM   #6
Major Player

I am looking for something like this steady bogen tripod, in combination with a compact hiking tripod (which of course, would meant that I have to compromise stability and others) but I am not sure if I want to be carrying 6kg with me for very long hikes. At the end, it is all about knowing your equipment and its limitations. I am 100% confident that with a photo tripod, you can shoot good video only it will be more difficult and compromised.

Maybe you know a good light-weight, compact video tripod? This sturdy one will definately be added to my gear in the near future.
Floris van Eck is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads