Bogen / Manfrotto 560B Fluid Video Monopod - what do you think? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old May 21st, 2006, 03:53 PM   #1
Major Player

Bogen / Manfrotto 560B Fluid Video Monopod - what do you think?

I was looking for a good tripod at the Bogen / Manfrotto site when I saw the announcement of the 560B Fluid Video Monopod. I am in need of a sturdy tripod, but am also looking for a compact/light-weight tripod for my trips in the nature. This looks like a very good option. But as I have never worked with monopods for video, I would like to get some feedback from people who have worked with video and monopods. With a monopod like this, can you get steady footage or is this a bad solution for a light-weight stabilizer? I am not sure if I want to be setting up a tripod over and over again during my summer holiday in italy during which I will do a great amount of sight-seeing.

http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/cache...%7C113&idx=116

BH Photo Video has it listed for arrival in July for $149.
Floris van Eck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2006, 07:23 AM   #2
Trustee

I had posted this in another forum here.

Monopods are great, and I currently have a bogen monopod with retractable feet, but they are too wirey and springy for proper support.

This monopod seems much more stable and handy for run and gun purposes with a light setup. And teh fluid base will be a very welcome addition.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 12:59 PM   #3
Major Player

Exactly. I am looking for something for backpacking and I am not sure if I want to carry around a heavy tripod. As there are no real light tripods (below 1 kg) with good quality heads, this might be a solution.

I am just considering my options at this moment. But as this product is not out yet, I suppose nobody can tell more about it.
Floris van Eck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2006, 09:31 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I've ordered the 560B and it should be here by Friday. I'll be playing with it this weekend so I'll post my thoughts on how it works out. I've never used a monopod before, but I need something light to use while walking around factories and farmland for an upcoming shoot.
Sheila Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2006, 07:47 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Sheila::

Look forward to your next post, as I am also interested in this Monopod.
Vince Lucena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2006, 08:30 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I got it Friday but haven't had much time with it. After playing with it a little around the house, I have no regrets about the purchase. It is very light, and the pan feature is a great asset. The legs fold down easily and it only takes a slight turn to get a smooth pan.

The true test will be next week when I take it to a shoot where I will be outside, shooting and walking. I'll post again after that with my real world opinion.
Old August 1st, 2006, 02:52 PM   #7
Regular Crew

By chance, what is the weight of your recorder?

I have a Canon XL2; with light attachment it weighs in at around 10 pounds.
Vince Lucena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2006, 11:38 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila Ward
I got it Friday but haven't had much time with it. After playing with it a little around the house, I have no regrets about the purchase. It is very light, and the pan feature is a great asset. The legs fold down easily and it only takes a slight turn to get a smooth pan.

The true test will be next week when I take it to a shoot where I will be outside, shooting and walking. I'll post again after that with my real world opinion.
Hi Sheila,

I purchased this item as well and my only gripe may be that I think you're restricted with the provided quick release plate. It would be nice if I could use my Bogen 577 quick release plate. Other than that everything seems to be perfect. It's very light and the legs seem to be a lot more solid than other models. I will be testing mine out this weekend. I will keep everyone updated.

Troy
Troy Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2006, 10:57 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Vince,
I'm using it with a PD170, which weighs about 4lbs. With the wireless receiver or shotgun mike, I would say total weight is a little under 5 lbs.

Troy,
Fortunately for me, I use the 3157 QR for everything except my main tripod (which uses the 3433). So that keeps my switching of QR plates to a minimum. I look forward to hearing what you think after you use it a bit.

Sheila
Old August 16th, 2006, 11:58 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Sheila-

I just want to be clear, the legs on your 560B do not in any way support the camera without your intervention, am I right? The legs are for added stability only?

I'm actually looking for a monopod-like tripod, soemthing I can run and gun with yet put down reliable roots for sticks-like quick interviews. Thanks to this thread, I haven't seen anything yet! ;-)

- Loren
Loren Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2006, 03:54 PM   #11
Regular Crew

That's correct Loren. It is only to help you steady the shot. If you let go it goes boom :-)

Your only option may be to go with a lightweight tripod. But even lightweight tripods are bulky when you are shooting run and gun.
Old August 16th, 2006, 10:17 PM   #12
Regular Crew

This is where invention begins! ;-)

- Loren
Loren Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2006, 10:35 AM   #13
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Davis
Hi Sheila,

I purchased this item as well and my only gripe may be that I think you're restricted with the provided quick release plate. It would be nice if I could use my Bogen 577 quick release plate. Other than that everything seems to be perfect. It's very light and the legs seem to be a lot more solid than other models. I will be testing mine out this weekend. I will keep everyone updated.

Troy
Troy, just place this QR assemnly on the Monopod and you're set.

Bogen / Manfrotto 577 Quick Release Adapter Assembly
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

You can either remove (unscrew) the tilt head and mount (screw on) the 577 QR assembly on. Or if you really need the tilt head, then just attach the 577 QR assembly to the quick release plate of the pan tilt head.
I do this for use with my DVRig Pro (uses a different assembly than the 577 that goes wth my 501 tripod head, Manfrotto 3273 Quick Release Adapter), and have the assembly attached to my monopod, and 2 different tripod heads. Works perfectly fine, and you now can use the same QR plates with everything.
Old September 12th, 2006, 12:43 PM   #14
Tourist

Bogen Monopod 560B

I purchased this rig a couple of weeks ago. It is sturdy with good fit and finish. I like the quick release leg levers. The fluid assembly at the foot is smooth and seems to have just the right amount of drag. I have used it twice. Once with Panasonic DVC-80 (4.4 pounds), and the other with Panasonic GS-400 (about 2 pounds). The first was a concert where I was working up close to the band. The other was a water ski slalom where I was riding facing rearward and panning back and forth with the action. The foot really help steady the pod and make smooth pans. The quick release has a lock so you can't accidentally knock the camera off. The only thing I didn't like when I first used it was the tilt head doesn't lock into a fixed position so it can loosen up and rotate (unscrew) when in use. To lock it I drilled and tapped a hole down through the casting at the rear of the head and screwed a bolt down onto the rubber plate underneath. That holds it together fwell, yet can easily be removed. This pod should hold up a long while and makes for some very steady shots. I plan to use it with my digital still camera as well.
Joe Bradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2006, 03:02 PM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Liebergot
Troy, just place this QR assemnly on the Monopod and you're set.

Bogen / Manfrotto 577 Quick Release Adapter Assembly
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

You can either remove (unscrew) the tilt head and mount (screw on) the 577 QR assembly on. Or if you really need the tilt head, then just attach the 577 QR assembly to the quick release plate of the pan tilt head.
I do this for use with my DVRig Pro (uses a different assembly than the 577 that goes wth my 501 tripod head, Manfrotto 3273 Quick Release Adapter), and have the assembly attached to my monopod, and 2 different tripod heads. Works perfectly fine, and you now can use the same QR plates with everything.
As you can tell I haven't been to the forum in a while. I have since recorded two weddings w/ the monopod and while it does take some getting use to the amount of mobility is great. Once I get better at being fluid this should work out well. As for the QR, I actually bought another one similar to the one that came with the MP and have been using it. However, I will give the 577 a try.

Thanks Much!!!
Troy
Troy Davis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads