Buying new tripod at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old June 6th, 2006, 10:29 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Buying new tripod

Hi!

The time has come for me to buy a new tripod, I've been doing my research in several forums and online stores, and it has come to this finalists:

-Bogen / Manfrotto 351MVB2 Aluminum Tripod w/3433 (501) Fluid Head Kit

-Bogen / Manfrotto 351MVB2 Aluminum Video Tripod Kit w/3460 (503) Pro Head
Comes with bag.

-Libec LS-22
Comes with a free zoom control and bag.

-CARTONI ACTION PRO SYSTEM

All these tripods are sub 650 dlls. Thats my maximum budget. But between the Libec and the Cartoni there's a 250 dlls difference. And between the Bogens there's a 100 dlls difference because of the different head and a bag. Is this difference really worth it?? Any other sub 650dlls system I may be missing??

Thanks!!!!
Old June 7th, 2006, 07:15 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Hey Rodrigo,

I'm actually going to purchase the Bogen / Manfrotto 351MVB2 Aluminum Video Tripod Kit w/3460 (503) Pro Head Kit from BHPHotoVideo most likely since I've heard really good things about the difference between the 501 and 503 Heads. I figure for basically $45 (Difference between the head prices) its worth it for the extra quality.
Paul Reichelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2006, 07:45 AM   #3
Capt. Quirk

Kind of hard to answer, since we don't know what camera you'll be using. if it is too heavy, the 501 is out.
Old June 7th, 2006, 09:36 AM   #4
Major Player

The 503 Head is a real fluid head and it's a winner. If you should win the Lottery, or have any other means of spending an additional $100, I would recommend the 503 on the 525MVB sticks, as in this kit. The ground spreader is something I came to really appreciate.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

This doesn't include the bag for the kit, which would be another $100, but is very, very nice. Perhaps you could save up for the bag to buy later.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

Not the cheapest, but all in all, I would have to say that this may be the biggest bang for your buck$.
Jack Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2006, 04:51 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks a lot!

Thanks a lot for all your comments. I'll be buying the Bogen / Manfrotto 351MVB2 Aluminum Video Tripod Kit w/3460 (503) Pro Head Kit. I'll let you know how it turned out.

Muchas gracias!
Rodrigo Gil Medina
Old June 7th, 2006, 09:45 PM   #6
Major Player

I have the first kit you were refering to (the 501 head) and an FX1, works decent for me, but since I've bought it and now used 503's and other nicer head i have regrets...I'd definately go with the 503 kit is given another chance...i've considered buying the head, and a lower end set of legs for the 501 for another camera, but haven't felt the need yet...
Noah Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2006, 03:03 PM   #7
Major Player

Tripod for DSR 390

Does anyone have recommendations for Sony's DSR 390 camera. Wt is appr 14-15 lbs whick eliminates the above recommedation. I would/need to keep the price down below $1100.00.

Thanks
Old June 11th, 2006, 03:21 PM   #8
Major Player

Hello Rodrigo

I have the Bogen/Manfrotto 503 head and have used it with my FX1 and I now also have the Cartoni Action Pro System. For using with my FX1 I prefer the Cartoni. The 503 head is good but I certainly prefer the Cartoni head as it seems smoother to me and certainly worth the extra money. Also the Cartoni head is significantly less weight and sometimes that can be very important.

Salud

John
John McCully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2006, 10:44 AM   #9
New Boot

Tripod for the XL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Forman
Kind of hard to answer, since we don't know what camera you'll be using. if it is too heavy, the 501 is out.
What's a good one for the XL2?
Joe Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2006, 12:07 PM   #10
Capt. Quirk

I just ebayed a Bogen 3046 tripod with a 3026 head, for about $170. It should hold my new HD100 at 8ish pounds, and will hold up to 12 I think. What sold me on it, was the fact it gets up to almost 6'. No more bending down for me ;)

Of course, talk about blowing it... I bid on a slightly used Miller DS10 with head. I stopped bidding at $600, and it sold for $623 in the last seconds. I shouldn't have wussed out. I also shouldn't have rushed my bid.
Old June 12th, 2006, 12:50 PM   #11
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Forman
I just ebayed a Bogen 3046 tripod with a 3026 head, for about $170. It should hold my new HD100 at 8ish pounds, and will hold up to 12 I think. What sold me on it, was the fact it gets up to almost 6'. No more bending down for me ;)

Of course, talk about blowing it... I bid on a slightly used Miller DS10 with head. I stopped bidding at $600, and it sold for $623 in the last seconds. I shouldn't have wussed out. I also shouldn't have rushed my bid.
interesting...

if it can support your hd100, surely it can take my dvx100b :)

I might be looking into a Bogen 3046 myself
Bin Chen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2006, 01:18 PM   #12
Capt. Quirk

What really got me interested in that particular model, was an auction for a set of leg extenders. They added one extra stage to the legs, and Bogen stopped producing them. With the extra long legs and my handy gear box, I can shoot over crowds. Well, I could if I had won that auction.

But, yes, they would work very well with an XL.
Old June 12th, 2006, 07:47 PM   #13
New Boot

I use the 525mvd sticks with a 516 head which might be a little over kill but it is stable. When I need to go lighter I use my photo tripod.

Stuart

Canon XL2, 20x & 3x lens, Evolution G2 Wireless Mics, Rode NTG-2, manfrotto 525/516, EF adapter
Adobe Video Production Suite
Adobe Creative Suite
Canon 30D, 10D, EOS 3
Various EF Lenses (Canon, CanonL, Tamron, Sigma)
Stuart Claggett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2006, 02:39 PM   #14
Regular Crew

For the 390, I would recommend the Sachtler or Vinten. If not, high end Bogen. The Sachtler Video 18 heads are top-notch, and speed-lock legs are truely a blessing. If you have the $$ go for a hot-pod. They are a littl pricier, but depending on what you do with the 390, you can get some amazing stuff with it. Integrated handle, pneumatic center column, auto-deploy legs, and the hot-pod (along with anything Sachtler) is nearly indestrucable. My Video18 head has survived 4 Hurricanes, 3 dust storms, and has fallen off the top of a live truck - and still was silky smooth.

Or a used Bogen 3066 (or whatever the new one is named) , and a set of carbon fiber legs... with the weight of the 390 by itself, you dont want the tripod to weigh you down too. Definitely a 100mm or 75mm head. A large head on that 3/8(?) screw is just hell in a handbasket.
Daniel Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2006, 06:56 PM   #15
Major Player

Dsr 390

Thanks, Daniel....

I am using a 503 head 3058 tripod...that seems to work ok, however, I am concerned about the small screw.

Thanks again...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads