Gitzo G1380 head springs at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old July 17th, 2006, 06:04 PM   #1
Trustee

Gitzo G1380 head springs

Hi all,

I was lucky enough to get a used G1380 head for a great price, but without the extra springs. I'm having trouble getting answers out of Bogen on how to change the springs, and what colour is what weight. I'd like to order the correct spring, but maybe it's already installed...

Can someone who has one of these heads enlighten me? I've searched online everywhere and can't find any instructions on this head. When I look at where the spring is, I see a black cover. Just it just pry off? I'm hesitant to try that in case I'll damage it.

Also, the quick release plate has a 1/4" screw, and a 3/8" screw. I use the smaller for my Z1, so I need to remove the 1/4". But when I do, the 3/8" is able to fall out of the quick release plate. If I don't remove the 1/4", I can't attach the plate to the camera.

I've never seen this on other tripods. On my manfrotto head, you can't remove the screw easily. Is this normal for this plate?

Thanks for all your help, and greetings from Montreal,

Vito
Old July 17th, 2006, 06:34 PM   #2
Major Player

Hey Vito,

In order to change the spring you will need to pry that black plastic cover off to access the allen screw that holds the spring in place. You should see a small hole along one of the sides, just slide something small into the hole and gently pop it up. Everything should make sense after that.

With regard to the sliding plate, I'm not sure what you're saying. If you're attaching your camera using the smaller screw, doesn't the camera hold it in place?

The spring color/weights are as follows:

white = 1Kg

grey = 2 Kg

green = 5 Kg

red = 8 Kg

And I also have a yellow one which seems to hold A LOT, but it's not on my chart.

Hope this helps.

Tim
Tim Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2006, 06:59 PM   #3
Trustee

Hi Tim,

Man, that was exactly what I was looking for! Thanks a million for the info.

Yes, the camera holds the screw in place, but if you want to remove the plate (to use a different head or whatever) the screw can just fall right out. With every other plate I've had, the screw stays attached to the plate (loose, but can't come out of its groove). Does this make sense? Perhaps I'm not explaining myself well.

Thanks again,
Vito
Old July 17th, 2006, 07:15 PM   #4
Major Player

I think I got it now. There should be a small rubber stopper at the end of the slot that's supposed to keep the screw from falling out, and that is removable to allow you to remove the screws. If this is missing, maybe a bit gaffers tape will do the trick.

Tim
Tim Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2006, 07:16 PM   #5
Trustee

Hi again, Tim,

I just pried it off as you said. Looks like I have the green spring (though it looks kinda blue, heh, heh). That would be the 5k, I guess. Will probably overpower my Z1, so I guess I should order one of the smaller ones.

Which one do you use? I'm guessing the 2k spring would be about right.

No rubber stopper on my plate. I guess the tape idea will do it.

My G1325V legs should arrive this week. Man, I can't wait to try it out!

Ciao,
Vito
Old September 27th, 2013, 07:19 AM   #6
Major Player

Re: Gitzo G1380 head springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Brown View Post
And I also have a yellow one which seems to hold A LOT, but it's not on my chart.Tim
Yellow is 10Kg

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads