Tripod recommendations for the Canon XL2 - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old September 29th, 2005, 10:39 AM   #46
New Boot

I have the 501, and I have no problems with it, works fantastic for my XL2.
Allan Legarth Nielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2005, 03:48 PM   #47
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Legarth Nielsen
I have the 501, and I have no problems with it, works fantastic for my XL2.

Try tilting it forward more than a few degrees! The 503 is a minimum.

Mike
Old September 29th, 2005, 04:13 PM   #48
Inner Circle

503 and what>

525 MVB or 542ART

Regards,

Ty
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2005, 08:36 PM   #49
Major Player

best tripod to get for XL2...

If you can afford it, the Miller Arrow 30 is a terrific tripod head. I was at NAB 2005 and tried pretty much every tripod out there, and the Miller was by far the best, and by far the most expensive. One thing that always bugs me is watching people "test" tripod heads for fulid action by doing big, sweeping pans back and forth as they say "wow, that's smooth!". IMHO the best way to torture test a tripod and just see how much bang for you're buck you're getting is to zoom in on a subject and see if you can smoothly make very minor corrections, both panning and tilting. The weight of the camera is also a factor, as heavier camera's can be a little bit easier to control and therefore have smoother motion. This makes performance all that more critical when selecting a tripod for a camera such as the XL2, since it only weighs about 6 pounds.
I use a Bogen 501 with my XL2, and it just isn't able to handle doing small corrections smoothly. There is almost always a little "jerk" off the start as the friction plates break loose from each other. The moment my bank account fills enough to afford the Miller Arrow 30, I'll drain it without hesitation.
Cal Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2005, 07:52 PM   #50
Inner Circle

How about a Sachtler 2 or 4?

Seems I am running into them lately.

Ty
Old October 2nd, 2005, 02:40 PM   #51
Major Player

Sachtlers are nice if you're willing to shell out a few thousand dollars. If I'm not mistaken, the O'Connor Ultimade DV head is cheaper than the cheapest Sachtler.

I own a Manfrotto 519 for DV work and I love it. It's very smooth, compact and has a max payload of 22 lbs- more than enough for an XL2. As mentioned above, the Cartoni Focus is excellent, and I've heard a lot of praise for the Vinten Vison 3 as well.
Old October 6th, 2005, 08:31 AM   #52
Trustee

Go with the 503. It is GREAT. I have the 503 with the Bogen 3046 legs. A little on the heavy side but really ROCK solid. Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2005, 08:55 AM   #53
Wrangler

i find that i need two tripods for my XL2, a self-transported, field tripod that i can carry and a studio/auto-transported tripod. so i would say that an answer to your question depends on how you plan to use your tripod and head.

for studio use, i am really loving the 516 (3246 legs), also in the field with EF adapter and 35mm lenses. but i can't carry all that junk unaided, so it limits the locations i can shoot. for field use (hiking, that is), i make do with a 701rc2 head and 3001Pro legs, which, if you don't extend them, are sturdy enough. it is about as light as i think it is possible to go with an XL2 on a real tripod. for quality footage, i think the 516 is a fantastic buy. if you plan to use EOS lenses, i think it pays to go larger than the 503.

the 516 has a longer mounting plate, than some of the other suggestions, which helps if you add large lenses or a lot of accessories, to center and balance the camera.
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2005, 10:24 AM   #54
Regular Crew

Hi Ty
I just returned from Africa with my new Sony HD A1 and I took the audio book I bought from you for reference. It worked, got some fanatastic audio. Regarding a tripod/leg system; my experience with long lenses is stability and smoothness are crutial. Light weight is also a concern for me because I often fly in small planes with weight limitations.The system I brought with me to Zambia let me down, so I am on the hunt . The Bogen 503 is a fluid head (very important) the 501 is not a fluid head, and a good set of carbon legs (lighweight) would make a good package. Personally I am looking now at the Miller Solo dv 5 because of its light weight and smooth head. If anyone has any personal experience with this product, I am all ears.
dkane
Dennis Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2005, 10:46 AM   #55
Inner Circle

Hi Dennis,

I'm so glad the "Audio Bootcamp Field Guide" proved helpful. Was there anything in particular you found helpful, or anything you think could use more clarification?

I was in NY for the Audio Engineers Convention last weekend. The Javits Center is about four blocks from B&H. I met one of B&H's audio guys at the show and he said they had tripod on the floor at B&H.

I went over at lunch and satisfied myself that the Sachtler DV6 2D was the one that worked for me. 19 LB capacity, 5 drags, mid spreader, lighted bubble, goes down to 20". I ordered it for about $1700+ from a local house.

Thanks again for your (and everyone's) guidance on this. I really appreciate it.

Ty Ford
Old October 15th, 2005, 08:58 AM   #56
Major Player

You didn't mention how much you have to spend, but I have to mirror what most everyone else is saying: the 503 is VERY much a better head than the 501!!

Dan
www.DVcameraRigs.com
Dan Selakovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2005, 07:22 PM   #57
Inner Circle

Um, that would be me saying, "I ordered it for about $1700+ from a local house."

The DV 4 was about $1000, but it lacked in several important areas.

Ty
Old October 15th, 2005, 08:17 PM   #58
Major Player

Sorry Ty. I'm old and slow. You can certainly move up the food chain then! Have you taken a look at the Panther line of heads? Yikes!

Dan
Dan Selakovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2005, 05:29 AM   #59
Inner Circle

This past summer, before I bought the XL2, I was on a shoot with a guy who had a very nice JVC camera and some sort of tripod. I asked him about the tripod. He said, "Well, it lists for $8K, but I got a DEAL on it for on $6k."

After they brought me the smelling salts and my head cleared.........

The Panther...no, can't say I have. Am I in store for another nose bleed?

Regards,

Ty Ford
Old January 7th, 2006, 12:39 PM   #60
New Boot

XL2 tripod

Hey, I'm looking for a tripod for my XL2. I've focused on Bogen/Manfrotto and Sachtler. I just want what works best. I've heard the Bogen called "Bogus." I've used them for years and have liked them. But, is there something out there that works particularly well for the XL2. I'm lost in so many leg and head models and not sure what the right combo is for just a good trusty tripod that holds your basic accessories. What have you guys found?
Camren Cheline is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads