Tripod recommendations for the Canon XL2 - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old January 24th, 2006, 12:41 PM   #76
Regular Crew

I got the Manfrotto 515MVB sticks and like them for the weight -7.5 pounds. I do a lot of news photography and they are light to carry but with one drawback.The tripod folds up so compactly, you can't get your fingers in there to pick it up. It looks great folded, but unless you have hands the size of a basketball player, you had better use a strap to carry it. As far as functionality though, it is really solid. I got the lower level spreader, but will change to the mid level for ease of set up outside.

I use the Vinten Vision 3 head and love it - smooth as silk. I use the Canon XL2 with it.
Rob Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2006, 08:47 PM   #77
Regular Crew

Bogen...

Bogen/Manfrotto's 503,351MVB2K is a grate choice and costs only $495!!!
If you don't want to spend around $1500 with other brands (which no doubt are very good) then the above mentioned tripod is the one.
Victor Burdiladze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2006, 10:44 PM   #78
Regular Crew

Sticks for the XL2. I just got off a shoot using the indie dolly sticks (www.indiedolly.com) He has two stages, quick lock sticks with case and spreaders (these sticks are great, very durable and they go from 18" to 5' 5" !

They are only $300. I'm picking up my own this Saturday. Email him and tell him you want the $300 sticks. They are incredible sticks and should be double the cost!
Old March 9th, 2006, 09:38 PM   #79
Regular Crew

Is the Bogen / Manfrotto MVB2346 tripod OK for XL2?

I'm considering the Bogen MVB2346 Aluminum tripod kit with half bowl, 3460 (501) pro head with mid-level spreader with rubber shoes and padded case for my XL2 for @ $500. Good choice? Any other suggestions, less expensive, but good tripod kits? Thanks.

Chuck
Charles Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2006, 12:50 AM   #80
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Penn
I'm considering the Bogen MVB2346 Aluminum tripod kit with half bowl, 3460 (501) pro head with mid-level spreader with rubber shoes and padded case for my XL2 for @ $500. Good choice? Any other suggestions, less expensive, but good tripod kits? Thanks.
Chuck
I don't have the answer, but I will say that if you search the internet and other forums, 90% of the people will probably say that -- assuming you can not or will not be buying a more expensive head -- the extra $100 for the 503 head is money well spent.

As far a tripods go, I have always been leary of the double-tube, spreader required tripods just on the grounds of versatility. If you do a lot of filming in the wild with uneven ground, or even say, filming a wedding in a church and want to span a pew, you are going be playing around with the top/mid spreader.

And yes, I know that most, if not all, of the "expensive" ($1K+) Miller, etc. tripods are double-tube, I do know that one of the most praised tripods for under a grand is a Gitzo CF single-tuber.

Other than that, make sure that the tripod is high enough to suit your needs, unless you plan to be looking down all the time in the viewfinder.

PS: I wasn't able to track down the Part Number either at BHPhoto or the Bogen catalog. I personally like the 755B as it's reasonably light, supports up to 16lbs. and can go up to 58" high WITHOUT raising the leveling half-bowel center column.
Marc Ries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2006, 02:39 PM   #81
Major Player

The 503 rather than the 501 is not so much money well spent as money essentially spent.

The 501 is not a true fluid head and suffers from "stiction".

The 503 is a true fluid head, and will pan and tilt smoothly. A plus is that it has a counterbalance spring which should be a good match for the weight and COG position of the XL2.
Alan Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2006, 11:15 AM   #82
Regular Crew

I have been used this head (501) for 3 years, first with sony vx2000, and xl2 for past 2 weeks. pan and tilt is ok-not perfect with 20x and 3x lens. but if you add telephoto like canon 100-400 L lens it suffers pan-tilt and does not lock properly.

just today I shooted wolves with xl2-100-400 lens with manfrotto 501 head and I got angry too much. it is because total wieght is more than 5 kg and center of gravity is odd. effective focal length is more 3000 mm so this head is not for this combination. now I m looking heavy sturdy tripod and head ...

alkim.
Alkim Un is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2006, 12:33 PM   #83
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Craven
The 503 rather than the 501 is not so much money well spent as money essentially spent.

The 501 is not a true fluid head and suffers from "stiction".

The 503 is a true fluid head, and will pan and tilt smoothly. A plus is that it has a counterbalance spring which should be a good match for the weight and COG position of the XL2.

Alan is exactly right, spend the extra money for the 503. The counter balance springs alone are worth the extra money and the head is true fluid and very smooth.

As far as the tripod, I too prefer single leg units, with center spreader bars, and a crank up center section. If you can find an older Bogen, like a 3030a or a 3033, get it. I bought a used 3030a at a swap meet about a year ago for $35.00, and I loved it so much I spent 6 months on ebay looking for another. In between that time, I bought a new Bogen, and sold it very soon afterward. They are just not as beefy and solid as the older ones.

Hope that helps.

Mike
Old March 22nd, 2006, 07:13 PM   #84
Major Player

I have been using a 501 head for quite some time with an XL2 and an m2 and a lot of extras and it seems ot work fine. But I have been thinking of updating.
Matthew Nayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2006, 07:51 PM   #85
New Boot

XL2 Tripod Help

Hi,
I recently bought a package deal with my XL2 that came with a tripod that isn't even capable of supporting the camera, and so I'm going to have to buy another one. Not really knowing anything about them, I was hoping someone here could help me out. I'm not looking to spend any more than $200; does anyone have any good suggestions? Either new or, preferrably, a better one that could probably be found used for $200?

Thanks,
Joe
Joe Kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2006, 08:04 PM   #86
Major Player

If you spent alomst 4k for a camera I wouldn't skimp and look for the cheapest tripod, even if you find one for $200 I think you'll end up being dissappointed and look to buy another tripod. Paying a little more in the beginning will save you money in the end.

I use this with my Gl2/vx2000 and am very happy, but you may need something a little more:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation
Todd Kivimaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2006, 09:04 PM   #87
Major Player

I agree - get a good tripod. At minimum, I'd get the 501 head and 3046 legs. If you can afford it, go with the 525 legs and 503 head and they won't disappoint.
Andrew Khalil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2006, 01:33 AM   #88
Regular Crew

If you get anything less than the Bogen 503 head, you are going to be kicking yourself...

Nick
Nick Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2006, 03:29 PM   #89
Regular Crew

tripod for xl2?

In few weeks, I'm gonna shoot short film with XL2.
Do you guys have any suggestions what tripod should I use?
I've used manfrotto 503 and I'm not very happy about it, especially with it's panning abilities; when I start panning it's never smooth.
I've heard Miller and Sachtler are very good; did anybody use those systems?
any other suggestions, maybe?

thanks in advance
Vic
Victor Burdiladze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2006, 09:41 PM   #90
DVi Contributor

look at the vinten vision 3 system it has very good movement.
Craig Chartier is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads