Tripod recommendations for the Canon XL2 - Page 9 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old August 29th, 2007, 05:19 PM   #121
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Catt View Post
Scott:
I run my XL2 on a Bogen/Manfrotto 351 tripod with the 503 fluid head. It's rock-steady, no problems with unintended camera motion with the 20x zoom all the way out. The fluid drag is adjustable so you can set it to a sweet spot for your preferences. I bought mine as a package (head, tripod, and carry case) for $485.00. I've used B/M tripods for years as a still photographer and never personally had any complaints about the quality and construction.

Before that, I was using a Davis and Sanford Mark II tripod with the D&S FM-25 fluid head. I found it for a good price at a used camera store, missing a few small parts. A couple of hours at a friend's machine shop, and it had two new solid aluminum handles, a nice brass clamping knob, and a new mounting stud. Monster of a tripod, better suited for a studio, but capable of holding an elephant steady. I went with the Bogen as a field tripod because it collapses up smaller, weighs less, and is easier to level with the bowl mount. You give up some convenience as to camera height adjustment without the center column, but I can set up and level the head in ten seconds. With the D&S, I'd spend a couple of minutes fiddling with leg length adjustments trying to center the bubble. I'm keeping the D&S to use as a base for the crane I plan on building.

Regards;
Martin
Could you give me the link to where you bought your Bogen? I'd really appreciate it!
Scott Delish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2007, 07:15 PM   #122
Obstreperous Rex

Scott, we refer *all* where-to-buy questions to our DV Info Net site sponsors exclusively:

http://www.dvinfo.net/sponsors

Thanks,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2007, 07:55 PM   #123
Major Player

Scott:
As Chris put it, you can check with the sponsors. They're a good bunch, approved by the forum admin and members. Just search the sites for Bogen/Manfrotto tripods. I have the 351 aluminum tripod and the 503 ball head. The "package" stock number for the head, legs, and carry case is 351MVB2K.

If memory serves, they have a (more expensive) carbon-fiber version of the same tripod. I went with aluminum 'cause it's cheaper and I can scribe inch markings through the black anodized finish on the legs to make it easy to get all the legs to the same length.

Besides, while I'm sure there's a link for the place I bought the tripod, it was a walk-in transaction (I buy local whenever possible -- support your local video dealer).

Martin
Old August 30th, 2007, 08:59 AM   #124
Regular Crew

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...#goto_itemInfo

Would that be the right tripod? :P

And if it is would this be correct...

It won't shake when there's 4-7 MPH wind on full zoom with OIS off?
Old August 30th, 2007, 06:00 PM   #125
Major Player

That's it. I've used it on calm days, windy days, fast pans, slow pans, and locked down, wide angle to full zoom. No complaints. Also, I forgot to mention that the 503 head is counterbalanced, and with a little tweaking will hold the XL2 in whatever tilt angle you leave it WITHOUT locking the tilt.

However, this assumes you've followed the #1 rule of (any) tripod use: make sure the legs are set firmly on a solid surface and spread as wide as practical.

Unlike still photography, unless you're shooting locked down, you need some movement. The nice thing about the 503 head is you have a separate adjustment for the fluid drag, independent of the pan/tilt locks. Completely release the pan/tilt locks, then use the fluid drag adjustments to set the head movement to your satisfaction. Don't use the pan/tilt locks to change the drag settings -- the locks are either on or off. That way you get consistent head motion.

BTW, that's a good price.

Martin
Old August 31st, 2007, 09:40 AM   #126
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Catt View Post
That's it. I've used it on calm days, windy days, fast pans, slow pans, and locked down, wide angle to full zoom. No complaints. Also, I forgot to mention that the 503 head is counterbalanced, and with a little tweaking will hold the XL2 in whatever tilt angle you leave it WITHOUT locking the tilt.

However, this assumes you've followed the #1 rule of (any) tripod use: make sure the legs are set firmly on a solid surface and spread as wide as practical.

Unlike still photography, unless you're shooting locked down, you need some movement. The nice thing about the 503 head is you have a separate adjustment for the fluid drag, independent of the pan/tilt locks. Completely release the pan/tilt locks, then use the fluid drag adjustments to set the head movement to your satisfaction. Don't use the pan/tilt locks to change the drag settings -- the locks are either on or off. That way you get consistent head motion.

BTW, that's a good price.

Martin
I appreciate your help alot, I was going to end up going 6 months without a tripod. (Was gunna save up for $1000 one... Haha.)
Old April 28th, 2008, 08:58 AM   #127
Major Player

Tripod for my XL2

Just looking for some advise. I already wasted some money on 1 tripod and head because I was in a hurry and had limited money to spend.

Now I would like to upgrade.

I am considering this set from B&H

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...od_System.html

Any thoughts on this tripod?

Or this one?
http://www.adorama.com/BG503HDV525P....0503&item_no=9

Last edited by Guy Godwin; April 28th, 2008 at 09:16 AM. Reason: added link
Guy Godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2008, 09:27 AM   #128
Major Player

Just to clarify...
I will be shooting SD, sports mostly and don't want to spend no more than $1200 and would really like to get all thing's that I need in a kit rather than buying it in pcs.

I just noticed the first one is out of stock.
Old April 28th, 2008, 10:21 AM   #129
Regular Crew

Left Handed Controls

I checked out the kit and noticed that they moved the movement controls to the left side. I have Canon HX-A1 and I believe XL-2 as wells as other Canons have camera controls on the left side as well.

Would it be a benefit or a problem to have your left hand control both the movement and the camera controls?
Max Todorov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2008, 09:14 PM   #130
Major Player

Max,

I think it is all personal preference will how you are shooting. I also have the Manfrotto Lanc with all the controls on the handle. Once per week I have to shoot with a young one in one hand (got 17 mos old twins) and and handle in the other.

I actually went with this one. It seems to be a little less beefy but about $300 less. I may regret it but I think I was going over kill with the bigger one.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Legs_with.html
Old September 30th, 2008, 02:55 PM   #131
Major Player

Overkill?

So I'm finally upgrading the tripid in my kit (the current weak link). I'm shooting an XL2 and right now I don't have a lot of accessories that I hang off the camera, but I'd like to by a tripod that would work when and if I do. Also I would like it to be useful when I upgrade my camera, but I don't know what direction I'll go when I upgrade.

Here's what I'm looking at:

Bogen / Manfrotto | 515MVB Tripod Legs (Black) | 516,515PKIT

So is this overkill for an xl2? Would I see any negative effects using a 5 lb cam on a tripod made to support up to 22 lbs?

The reason I'm looking at this one is I've heard that the 503 head isn't as good as it could be (not a true fluid head?). Also it has a 100mm bowl that I've read is better than a 75mm. I also really like the min. height that these legs provide. I'm not opposed to spending more (maybe up to $1500), or less if there is an equal quality other name brand.

Open to all feedback...

Thanks,
Kevin
Old September 30th, 2008, 03:05 PM   #132
Inner Circle

Sachtler?

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2008, 05:21 PM   #133
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Randolph View Post
The reason I'm looking at this one is I've heard that the 503 head isn't as good as it could be (not a true fluid head?).
Actually, my understanding is that the 503 - which I own - is a true fluid, but that it's the 501 that is not a true fluid head.

Unless you really need to go down to 12" height, you could save some $ on the 525MVB, also with a 100mm bowl.
Jack Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2008, 08:08 PM   #134
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Ford View Post
Sachtler?

Regards,

Ty Ford
I know they produce great products, but I currently work at a local camera retailer where I could get an employee discount on Bogen / Manfrotto. And I think there is going to be a special discount program closer to the hollidays. Is Sachtler's quality that much better than Manfrotto?

Jack

(Sorry, still haven't figured out how to do multiple quotes) Thanks for the info on the 503. I had read a post somewhere on here about the 503. I currently own some older version of the 501 that I am not really happy with. So you feel that the 503 is adequate for a camera such as the XL2 or similar size?

Thank you again,
Kevin
Old September 30th, 2008, 08:45 PM   #135
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Randolph View Post
Jack

(Sorry, still haven't figured out how to do multiple quotes) Thanks for the info on the 503. I had read a post somewhere on here about the 503. I currently own some older version of the 501 that I am not really happy with. So you feel that the 503 is adequate for a camera such as the XL2 or similar size?
Kevin
Sure, it's fine head for the XL2, and mine carries the extra weight of a mattebox and widescreen lcd monitor without any difficulty. If you order from B&H, they offer a 15 day refund window, so you could try it out to see for yourself, then send it back if it doesn't suit your needs.
Jack Barker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads