Bogen 755B MDeVe or 351MVB2? Or something else? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old August 7th, 2006, 12:43 PM   #1
Major Player

Bogen 755B MDeVe or 351MVB2? Or something else?

Ok, I am considering to buy one of the following two tripod setups at this moment, so I would like some feedback from the boards. I am now using a cheap Velbon tripod and I do not like it. So I am looking for a more professional tripod now, which I can use with anything from the HC1 to the XL or Z1U type of camera's with microphones, wide-angles etcetera.

Bogen / Manfrotto 351MVB2 Aluminum Video Tripod Kit with 75mm Half Bowl and 3460 (503) Pro Head, Mid-Level Spreader, Rubber Shoes & Padded case - Supports 13.5 lb (6.1 kg) ($484 at BH Photo Video)
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

and the other combination

Bogen / Manfrotto 755B MDeVe Aluminum Tripod Legs (Black) with 3460 (503) Fluid Head and Softcase - Supports 9.7 lb (4.4 kg) ($590)
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

For me, the first combination looks very sturdy. Furthermore, it can take a 6kg heavier load, which is good when I switch to more proffesional equipment in the near future. Also, I have seen some professional film teams on the streets and most of them if not all of them have the type of tripod legs of the first combination, the pyramide like legs.

At the other hand, the second combination looks really flexible, is not as heavy to carry and has the quick leveling bowl. But what I have learned from my trip to Italy, is that you can look at the weight of things from a carrying perspective, but at the end, if you are taking all your gear, you need to move a lot of weight anyway.

But I am not sure which one to choose. So feedback is appreciated.
Floris van Eck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2006, 02:50 PM   #2
Major Player

I am now also considering the 525MVB. In The Netherlands, I can get the 503 head with 525MVB legs for 560 euro's, which is cheaper then the price I would pay at BH Photo Video. It is also cheaper then importing the 351MVB2 with the 503 head from the store mentioned above with import taxes in regard.

I do not know what the fundamental differences are, other then that the 525MVB can carry a heavier load, can be placed lower to the ground and is ligther as well. So is are the 525MVB legs better then the 351MVB2?

Thanks for your feedback.
Floris van Eck is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads