DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Tripod Sticks & Heads (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/)
-   -   Cartoni F101 Focus Aluminum Tripod System (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/76115-cartoni-f101-focus-aluminum-tripod-system.html)

Cody Lucido September 24th, 2006 10:26 AM

Cartoni F101 Focus Aluminum Tripod System

I am seriously considering this package for my new Canon A1 when it arrives. I have used a Bogen 503/3181 combo for a year and while it is ok, I really want smooth pans and camera moves.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

Does anybody have direct experience with this setup?

They seem to be back ordered everywhere....

Noah Hayes September 25th, 2006 08:35 PM

Thats exactly the setup I plan on getting as soon as I hear some reviews/opinions from the geniuses on here! Let us know what you guys think!!!

Donald White September 26th, 2006 05:06 AM

If I could add a question to this - what is the difference & tradeoffs between the Cartoni w/ Focus head that Cody's looking into at around $1300 & the 2 ActionProDV units for $800? Is it also a 'true fluid' head? I'm also going to be using the canon A1.

D

Cody Lucido September 27th, 2006 08:06 AM

Well, I guess I will make the plunge and get this system once it is back in stock. The reviews have been outstanding. I will let you guys know how it works out with the A1 when I get that, too.

Ralph Keyser October 5th, 2006 02:50 PM

Just shot a piece this weekend where I had a chance to use this exact setup. This is a really nice fluid head. Very smooth with lots of adjustability. I had two minor concerns with the legs. The rubber feet screw on over the spikes, and they had a tendency to loosen up over time and come undone. Also, check the max height of these legs and make sure they get tall enough for you.

I can't say enough good things about the head. At this price, it's amazingly good.

Cody Lucido October 5th, 2006 02:56 PM

Cool! I have ordered mine from ZGC and hope to get it in a week or so!

Matt OBrien November 15th, 2006 04:07 PM

The cartoni is an absolutely awesome tripod. It is by far my favorite. I use it with a HVX200 at school and it just pans/tilts perfectly. I love how adjustable it is, but at the same time there are so many customizable features with the fluid drag and whatnot. It's so simple to remove the camera, I think the locking mechanism is second to none, and the pan/tilt locks are easily within reach and very intuitive. Every piece of this pod is just well made, there isn't a single part where you think "hmm, they saved a few pennies here." The only draw back is that it is heavey and uncomfortable to carry if not in the bag. If portability is key, then maybe look elsewhere, but if you have the time to fold her up and bag it, then game on!

As a wise man once said, "If you have the means, I highly reccomend you pick one up" -Ferris Bueller.

Cody Lucido November 16th, 2006 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt OBrien
The cartoni is an absolutely awesome tripod. It is by far my favorite. I use it with a HVX200 at school and it just pans/tilts perfectly. I love how adjustable it is, but at the same time there are so many customizable features with the fluid drag and whatnot. It's so simple to remove the camera, I think the locking mechanism is second to none, and the pan/tilt locks are easily within reach and very intuitive. Every piece of this pod is just well made, there isn't a single part where you think "hmm, they saved a few pennies here." The only draw back is that it is heavey and uncomfortable to carry if not in the bag. If portability is key, then maybe look elsewhere, but if you have the time to fold her up and bag it, then game on!

As a wise man once said, "If you have the means, I highly reccomend you pick one up" -Ferris Bueller.

The Cartoni is a magnificent piece of work. I highly recommend it to anybody wanting a truly amazing tripod and fluid head.

Zsolt Gordos November 24th, 2006 05:32 PM

Kind of bad review on Cartoni - anyone had bad experience?

Hi,

I am considering to buy a Cartoni Focus since I often read very positive comments here. However today I a different opinion popped up accidentally - a reviewer had a very different view on this model.

You can find it here:

http://www.dvuser.co.uk/images/magaz...es/issue-4.pdf

The author says in comparison with Libec LS38 Cantoni performed very bad....
I am pretty puzzled...
I would appreciate more Cartoni users to comment - I am not sure now whether to buy it or go for some other brands...

Thanks.

John McCully November 24th, 2006 06:49 PM

Zsolt

I have a Cartoni Action Pro, the cheaper Cartoni, and I have to say I am more than delighted with it for using with my FX1. Smooth as a baby’s bottom, easy and quick to use. Nothing but good experiences now for more than one year.

I would put more focus on ‘try before buy’ than any other source of information. Misinformation abounds out there on the internet. But if direct hands on comparison is not an option then, I repeat, for me the cheaper Cartoni is sweet.

Cody Lucido November 24th, 2006 08:12 PM

The 101 is a a wonder to work with. Not for the weak of arm though as it is quite substantial in weight.

Matt Gottshalk November 24th, 2006 10:17 PM

I bought a Focus head with the Miller Solo CF legs...it is a much better combo than the Cartoni legs.

Ivan Snoeckx November 25th, 2006 04:15 AM

I have a Cartoni Gamma with 2-stage legs, also from Cartoni for 6 years now. The system still works as smooth as it did the first time. If I had to buy another tripod today, I again would go for the same system.

Dan Brockett November 25th, 2006 08:34 PM

A different view...

Hi Cody:

I would add my voice to the "try before you buy" chorus. I am one of the few that do not think very much of the Focus.

If you are coming from a Bogen, the Focus is a step up but it is far from ideal. IMHO (I have used the Focus for three different shoots, all in widely varying styles), the Focus does not have intuitive controls, it's tilt damping in particular has a mushy "wet' feel and the Cartoni legs are horrible.

If you are coming from using a Sachtler or higher end Vinten, you will think that the Focus is pretty bad. The Focus has a small amount of stiction and some whiplash as well. It's also big and heavy for what it does. I will say that the Focus is probably one of the better heads for the price range, the only alternatives are the horrendously bad Bogens that I have been forced to use at work for the past two years, they are truly bad.

I would seriously consider checking out the Libec LS-38 that UK reviewer above suggested. I have not done a shoot with one, but I have played with one at a dealer showroom and it is impressive for the price with a lighter camera.

I think everyones is all in a tizzy over the Focus because it's cheap, it's 100mm and it's okay but not great. As I said, if you only have $700.00 to $900.00 for a fluid head, you don't really have a lot of other choices. The Sachtler DV-6SB head I use retails for about two times the price of the Focus and it is much better, as it should be at those prices.

I also second the use of the Miller Solo DV and VJ carbon fibre tripods. By far the best legs available for smaller, lighter HDV, P2 types of cameras. No spreader, light, huge height and not too expensive. I bought the Solo DV legs for my DV-6SB a few weeks ago and they are so much better than any of the Sachtler legs for most circumstances like standing in rivers or trying to get that extra high vantage point. As one user said, you can also bring a tarp and you have an instant shelter when caught in the rain! (no spreaders means you can crouch underneath the canopy).

Just my .02 worth, I think it is insane to buy a piece of gear as important and expensive as a tripod head and legs without having tried one in battlefield conditions. My three experiences with the Focus left me wanting enough to have spent twice the price for a Sachtler.

All the best,

Dan

Anthony Leong December 6th, 2006 07:57 PM

ZGC got it the Cartoni Focus system for $1195. Also Abelcine got it too for $1295.