JVC GY-HD100 Tripod Mount - Page 10 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old July 27th, 2007, 07:22 PM   #136
Regular Crew

Tripod plate and 3066 head

Hi all,

Moving over from my old GY DV500 to the 110U I believe and I need to get a plate to go with it. Are there any alternatives to the one from JVC? I have a Bogen 3066 head already from my old setup which I like and use.

Thanks in advance,

Julian
Julian Maytum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2007, 04:40 PM   #137
Regular Crew

O'Connor 25L sticks

Nate: I'm thinking of getting the same O'Connor set-up as yourself. How do you like those sticks? Is the leg locking mechanism quick and easy? I used a set of 35L O'Connors on the weekend and quite liked the single release lever that allows all 3 legs to move at the same time (different from the 25L). Set-up is a breeze.
Are you happy overall with the head/sticks combo?
Best,
Simon.
Simon Sommerfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2007, 07:53 PM   #138
Major Player

501 Cracked. Twice. Youch.

Ok, I ripped the right arm off by opening the 3046 legs (with the crank) and the arm got caught on the legs as I yanked on them....pow! Off went that arm. So sickened, I picked up some nice 3192 sticks from Chad Terpstra, swapped the control arm to the left side and mounted it.

Then horrified, I discovered that somewhere, somehow - I don't know how - the head had split, ripping the left third off.

I don't want to comment on that head, as it's been around the world with me, but really, not a pro head. I now need a new head. I want a fluid one for my HD250 (load it in your mind how you would) that will complement my 3192s.

I'm hearing no to the 503 and yes to a Sachtler...which one though? Chad seemed disappointed in the Focus...there's lots of research to look into here, but I thought I'd share the photos....
Attached Thumbnails
JVC GY-HD100 Tripod Mount-img_0038.jpg   JVC GY-HD100 Tripod Mount-img_0039.jpg  

Old October 16th, 2007, 08:05 PM   #139
Major Player

Wow... Talk about some really crazy tilting... You must film like a madman. ;-)

I use the Bogen 516 and am quite satisfied with it. I know there are better sticks around but I can do everything I need with these and it's light and smooth. But if you have the money, Sachtler is the brand of choice for me. The ease of use and resistance selctors are great. And smooth smooth smooth. But the good ones are pricey.
Old October 16th, 2007, 08:26 PM   #140
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Terpstra View Post
Wow... Talk about some really crazy tilting... You must film like a madman. ;-)
Heh. I wish I had the shot that broke it - you know, jumping off that cliff to get the bald eagle fighting the snow leopard for a fish (hah)....I don't even remember it breaking. I just remember going 'Uh...ain't right...wth' ...

I'm eyeing a DV-8/100. Pricey new, but I think I found one used. We shall see.

Thanks, Chad.
Old August 25th, 2008, 06:06 PM   #141
Regular Crew

Which tripod for my JVC HD101

Hi guy, I have a JVD HD101E with letus HD100, canon FD lens, iKan V800HD, cavision rod, matt box, follow focus, anton bauer battery and a DR HD100. the whole setup is about 9KG.
I am looking at the sachtler DV6sb with speed lock 75 cf tripod. would that tripod system provide a steady shot with smoot pan tilt?

What other tripods around $2K range provide good support for my set up.

Many thanks.
btw, I am in New Zealand, if anyone here is from NZ and is willing to sell ur used tripod, I would like to have it.
Aaron Huang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2009, 10:09 AM   #142
Regular Crew

Personally I know of no magic low cost tripod/ head. They may exist, but I've never found one I could really work with. It’s worth remembering that a good well-balanced tripod will make all the difference to your shots and should long outlast your new camera and at least the next one.

I've worked with Satchler (now owned by Vinten) with Cartoni/ Manfrotto, Bogen and so on. I eventually got myself a Vinten 100 with carbon legs and have found it constantly excellent. It’s done a lot of travelling and plenty of harsh work. At one point it was run over by a Johannesburg taxi but Vinten managed to repair it and it's still as good as the day I first had it.

When choosing a tripod do really try it out, mount your camera, and test it for as long as you can, try all the adjustments. Tripod legs should be really firm, no whip at all and should be easy to extend and lock, very light ones are often a mistake; they may seem fine in the store but out in a wind it’s a very different matter. It’s often forgotten that you must keep the leg joints tight or you'll start finding that "buffering" pans and tilts becomes more and more difficult.

The choice of head itself is very personal, it'll become a vital extension of your arm to fingertip movement so don't 'skimp' on it, that often proves a false economy. I've also found that various brand new examples of one model can feel quite different, so if you find and like one it's a good idea to buy the actual tripod you tested.
Stuart Nimmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2009, 06:19 PM   #143
Major Player

Libec LS-38 or a TH-2000?

Well looking at BH and Libec has two sub $700 tripod with fluid heads. LS-38 and TH-2000. Anyone use one? I saw some people using the Libec 55's in the $1,000 - $1,200 range on this thread and they seemed to be happy.

I did pick up (in a fit of rage against my manfrotto 501) a Mathews 25. It is a light duty Libec hybrid of sorts. Not made for a camera as heavy as a JVC, but it does a better job than my 501. The bubble level is not to be trusted and it's really made for a 8 lb camera. nice and smooth. A real winner for the lighter cameras. Not strong enough counter balance for the 100/200 series, especially with extras. However I did like how it was made and how it works,hence my question if anyone is using the Libec bigger pods.
Alex Humphrey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads