JVC GY-HD100 Tripod Mount - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old February 1st, 2006, 01:52 PM   #16
Regular Crew

I recommend watching ebay for a good Sachtler head and buying the indie dolly two stage sticks. These are $800 quality sticks for $299.

www.indiedolly.com he doesn't have them advertised, just email him and ask him about them.

The ones he has advertised are for a crane, they are twice as big and twice as heavy and twice as much.

These sticks are exceptionally versitile, they go from 18 inches off the ground to almost 6 feet! I can't stop praising these sticks. I worked on a shoot with them and immediately turned around and bought my own.
Old February 1st, 2006, 04:17 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Lafleur
The Sachtler system you remmended looks great! It may be too expensive for my budget. Did you find any competive pricing in Canada?
In short - no.

Canadian pricing seems to be 'miraculously' nowhere near the equivivalent of a simple currency conversion. How can the HD100 be priced at CAD $7,995 (= USD $7,005) while the US pricing is around USD $5,495 list, so in reality more like USD $5,000. As far as I am concerned, it's a rip off and in many cases what you save on the price is many times the amount of shipping the gear back to the States for a possible warranty exchange/repair.

As for the Sachtler tripod, I wouldn't worry, they are very good and chances are that they won't need to go back.
Old February 1st, 2006, 05:11 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Oddly enough I purchased my Canon XL2, just before it was released, in Canada for $600 less than retail... shipped!
Old February 1st, 2006, 08:11 PM   #19
Major Player

Michael, the spring of the 501 head is not strong enought to counter-balance the HD100, don't consider it as an option. I have a Manfrotto 525 with a 503 head and it works ok, but the spring could be a just bit stronger... it's in the limit. It is really a good head, but if you can afford the 516 I advise you to do it. This one has two springs you can change according to the camera's weight. I don't have the IDX power solution for the HD100 yet, so I don't know if the 503 head will perform so well with this extra weight.

Anyway, you should go to a Manfrotto dealler with your camera and test the 503 and 516 heads.

I had a $5000 Cartoni carbon for using with a heavy Beta SP and it was an excelent tripod. I have no experience with cheaper Cartoni models.
Diogo Athouguia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2006, 09:01 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Thanks, Diogo, for some helpful suggestions

I had the chance to check out the Cartoni just a few hours ago and it seem very suitable, although quite a bit heavier/less compact for travel than the Sachtler DV-6SB I saw this afternoon.

Apparently Manfrotto has just come out with a new 526 Head that's replacing the 510 and 316. Here the link I found for all the Bogen Manfrotto products, including the 526: http://www.bogenimaging.us/literatur...screen_pdf.php
I'd be interested in what you and other think of the 526 or any feedback from early users. it may be too heavy/overkill for my HD100, but I haven't seen it yet.
Michael Lafleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2006, 10:00 PM   #21
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Bakala
In short - no.

Canadian pricing seems to be 'miraculously' nowhere near the equivivalent of a simple currency conversion. How can the HD100 be priced at CAD $7,995 (= USD $7,005) while the US pricing is around USD $5,495 list, so in reality more like USD $5,000.
Jiri, I just checked the latest Canadian list price today on the HD100 including tripod plate and wide converter. It is $6995 CDN.

I don't know of anyone who actually payed $7995 for the HD100, at least in Ontario. I think that $7995 list was set last summer before the value of the Canadian dollar rose to its highest since 1991. It's at about 87.5 cents U.S. right now. In the middle of August, when the camera shipped, it was only around $0.82 U.S.

Quote:
I would greatly appreciate any suggestions as to what Tripod you would recommend for me at this stage.
Michael, I recieved your email, but you've got a good thread going so I'll respond here.

I've never purchased a new tripod for myself so I'm not sure what you can get for under $2000. The only tripod I own is an old manfrotto 028 with semi-fluid head (116 I think) and 1-stage legs with pedestal and dolly wheels. I bought the whole setup at a TelAV silent auction years ago for $150.
I use these sticks only for building and testing cameras or as a crash cam mount.

I generally just rent the appropriate head and sticks for the job. This typically means a huge O'Conner 2575 or Arri geared head for dramatic work, along with standard legs, baby legs and hi-hat.

However, when I'm sent out on documentary work, I'll rent the lightest fluid head tripod that will accomodate the camera. In the case of the HD100 or XL2, I would usually rent the Sachtler Video 20 or 25 and sometimes 501. I don't think I've ever used a DV4 or DV6. I doubt the DV4 would be able to handle the HD100 with pro batteries and matte box.

The nice thing about the Video 20 with 100mm ball is that you can get baby legs and/or a 100mm hi-hat for it, making it very versatile.

My suggestion to you is to rent the tripods on your shortlist for a day or weekend and then see which one works best for your shooting style.
If the one you like the best exceeds your budget, then just rent for a while until you have the budget for it. Don't shortchange yourself. Make sure you can get the camera to zero balance with all of the accessories on. This means you should be able to set a level position with all of the locks "off," the fluid controls fairly loose, and the camera shouldn't move.

Good luck.
Old February 1st, 2006, 10:09 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Thanks for the Good Advise

Hi Tim,

Good suggestions all around. I like your advise re: renting until I know for sure. If I do buy, I've been impressed with the Sachtler models I've seen. I will take the camera with me to a small trade show next week in TO. I will load it up and follow your advise.

One more thing: Do you know of any HD100 user groups in the GTA? Anyone who does basic and/or advance training?

Thanks for all your help
Old February 1st, 2006, 10:48 PM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood
Jiri, I just checked the latest Canadian list price today on the HD100 including tripod plate and wide converter. It is $6995 CDN.
You might be right but only partially. The quote for $7,995 was from Commercial Electronics in Vancouver some time in Oct/Nov. Today's price at Vistek (online) is $7,399 and I didn't see any accessories on their web. Perhaps Ontario dealers offer better prices...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood
However, when I'm sent out on documentary work, I'll rent the lightest fluid head tripod that will accomodate the camera. In the case of the HD100 or XL2, I would usually rent the Sachtler Video 20 or 25 and sometimes 501. I don't think I've ever used a DV4 or DV6. I doubt the DV4 would be able to handle the HD100 with pro batteries and matte box.
You are right about the DV4 but I have the SB6 and it's fine with IDX batteries and a matte box. The disadvantage is the 75mm ball but on the other hand...man, is it ever nice and light for a 'one-man-band' run and a gun... I used to have Cartoni Gamma and it was solid but for the HD100 it would be a major overkill.

Last edited by Jiri Bakala; February 1st, 2006 at 11:53 PM.
Jiri Bakala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2006, 02:35 AM   #24
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Bakala
You might be right but only partially. The quote for $7,995 was from Commercial Electronics in Vancouver some time in Oct/Nov. Today's price at Vistek (online) is $7,399 and I didn't see any accessories on their web. Perhaps Ontario dealers offer better prices...
Vistek always seems to list the highest prices on their website, but I'm not sure if they actually sell for that. I've noticed this in reference to the XL2, DVX100 and Digital SLRs.

As far as I know, Cinequip on both coasts have the same prices.

Quote:
Do you know of any HD100 user groups in the GTA? Anyone who does basic and/or advance training?
I don't know of any. User groups are always tough to keep running without some sort of corporate sponsorship and a place to meet.
I may do a seminar soon, but I don't have any details. I'll keep you posted when I know more.
Old February 2nd, 2006, 06:00 AM   #25
Regular Crew

Quote:
As a newcomer, I truly appreciate the wisdom of many of you on the Network.

I am a Toronto-based, new HDV user who is in the process of buying a JVC HD100 primarily to create documentary-style promo videos for several NGO charities working with at-risk youth and social disadvantaged families in this region. I also plan on shooting footage in Malawi alongside some close friends who are doing humanitarian work among the extremely poor in Africa to help raise awareness as part of the “Make Poverty History” movement. I have a limited budget and am very close to the end of my $$$, having selected and settled on the camera, basic lighting, wireless audio, and a portable power kit. And while I would be open to your advise on any of these matters, what I really have no sense of which way to go for a suitable but affordable tripod for the HD 100U.

I know many of you have extensive experience in the industry and your shooting requirements are far beyond where I am presently at. But you know this camera better than anyone around and I would greatly appreciate any suggestions as to what Tripod you would recommend for me at this stage. Thanks!!
How about VINTEN PRo-10DC
It's nice... it has a soft case...and is cheap enough.. aprox. 1200 euro
Constantin Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2006, 06:52 AM   #26
Regular Crew

Tell Me More about your Vinten...

Thanks for the suggestion, Constantin. I hadn't checked out any of the Vintens before your recommendation and now that I look at the Pro-10DC, it seems very suitable and more portable than any others I've come across. And it folds to 23"??

What Camera and set up are you using with it? How many Kg/lbs load are you supporting/moving? How long have you had it and do you know how any other users have faired with it? Did you try out any of the other brands I've been considering before settling on the Vinten?
Old February 2nd, 2006, 10:32 AM   #27
Major Player

The 526 head counterbalance is achieved through an adjustable spring for camera weights between 17.6lb and 33.1lb. The HD100 weights 6.9lb...
Diogo Athouguia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2006, 10:18 PM   #28
Regular Crew

503 head 13.2 lbs, not 17

I know B&H has listed that the 503 head supports up to 17. 2 lbs., but I checked with Bogen's site and via email and they said the 503 supports 13.2 max lbs.
Chris Gorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2006, 04:33 AM   #29
Trustee

Thanks for that info, Chris. I suspected B&H's specification was wrong as other sites had it listed as 13 instead of 17 pound capacity. It's nice to know from the source. I have a 503 on the way and my camera, rod system, monitor, and battery are going to come in near 13lbs. and now I'm sure I need to trim the fat as lean as possible. I did order the extra-long quick-release plate so I can keep things balanced nicely since I'm going to be pushing the envelope.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2006, 04:11 PM   #30
Major Player

Tripod Help

I was hoping someone could point me in the direction of a halfway decent tripod for the HD100 for around/under $500?

Also, could someone explain what exactly the tripod adapter is for? Is this like a quick release?

Thank you.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads