JVC GY-HD100 Tripod Mount - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old May 7th, 2006, 09:31 AM   #61
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Wang
My god what is happening. Now the only independent support company is...Miller? (Video, only one I can think of). So...in a few years will a Hotpod be $200 instead of $2000...?
As Tim mentioned, Vinten bought the other companies in the early 80s, so these changes have been in place for well over two decades.

With so much control over the professional tripod market, I don't think they'll ever have reason to lower prices anytime soon.

Sorry for getting off-topic.
Old May 9th, 2006, 09:28 AM   #62
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Selakovich
I 2nd that! Stay away from the 501! I have the 503 and am very happy with it. Plus the street price is only $250-- a bargin.

Dan
www.DVcameraRigs.com

Hi,

Are using it with the HD100U? The pics of the 503 make it look so small and just wondering. When I get the extra battery and wireless gear, will the 503 suffice?

**Also to all, I had posted a note about tripods in the HD100U section to see what those camera users have for tripods. That post was moved so that's why there are 2 threads. Just a note, sorry for the double thread.

Thank you
Lisa
Lisa Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2006, 10:40 AM   #63
Major Player

Hi Lisa,

No, the 503 will hold that camera just fine. It's much larger than I believe you may imagine. I think the head is rated at 15lbs (I think!), and your camera is well under 10lbs, even with all the gizmos attached. If you live somewhere where you can check out the head in person, I'd take your camera in and plop it on there.

Best,

Dan Selakovich
www.DVcameraRigs.com
Dan Selakovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2006, 10:58 AM   #64
Inner Circle

The 501 and the 503 are the same physical size, but inside they are very different. The 503 is a far better choice.

Another point in the 503s favor, that has not been mentioned, is that the 503 has counter balancing springs inside. The further you tilt it forward or back, the more the springs compensate for the weight of the camera. Without the springs, the camera would fall forward or back, unless you lock it down.

I had a 501 and I sold it and bought another 503.

Good Luck
Old May 9th, 2006, 02:36 PM   #65
Major Player

I think the Cartoni Focus, Sachtler DV-6SB or Vinten Vision 3 would be better choices for the HD100. Although the 503 has a max load capacity of 13.2 lbs, its counterbalance spring is only rated for 5.5 lbs (at an unspecified CG height). The HD100, being a heavier and larger camera with a higher CG height, is more easily operated on a head that can keep it perfectly balanced.

True, these heads are expensive, but IMO, camera support is one thing that people should bite the bullet and buy the best they can afford. This equipment will likely outlast many generations of cameras and remember the old adage: buying cheap usually means buying twice =)
Tim Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2006, 06:24 AM   #66
Major Player

Buying a tripod today. -Bogen 516 good for HD100?

I've tried the Bogen 503 (not with the HD100) and it seems to be a bit of a lightweight. That and I've heard you get what you pay for and I'm willing to pay a little more if something is going to be better.

I've also used the 316 head with the HD100 and this was pretty much overkill as even at the least resistance it was still hard to pan & tilt.

I'm looking at the 516 for around $400. My only concern is that it says it's ideal at around 16lbs, but the HD100 + accessories is around 9lbs. Anyone using this head able to chime in? Can you decrease the resistance so that it moves fairly freely?

What do other people recommend for a head? I'm trying to stay within the Bogen/Manfrotto area because their stuff is generally cheaper and still can be pretty decent.
Thanks!
Chad Terpstra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2006, 09:24 AM   #67
Major Player

Bogen heads are not fluid - they are friction. I'd go with Miller, Cartoni or Sachtler. They are more money but worth every penny in the long run. Get a small loan and pay it off over a year if you have to. I personally have Sachtler SB6 with carbon fibre legs and it's great. I wouldn't even consider Bogen.
Old September 13th, 2006, 10:09 AM   #68
Inner Circle

I use a 516 head with a PD150, a DSR 250 and have used it with a JVC5000U and a DSR450-it seems to work just fine with all but the 150 as its really too light for the head but by adjusting the tilt and pan it does work. The heavier the camera the better up to a point. The full sized cames all have a wireless reciever and an Anton Bauer Dionic battery on them so there is substanially more weight therefore it (the head) seems to be easier to control. I have no problem with the head and frankly like it very much. As for a 9 lb camera well it's heavier than the 150 but lighter than all the rest I use so it's hard to say but I believe it would work out just fine for you.

Don B
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2006, 01:06 PM   #69
Major Player

Thanks for your help. I actually went to go buy the Cartoni Focus from B&H, but when I got there it said it was on Back Order. :-( Does anyone know where to get this head? I need it next week. It looks like it'd work nice for me since it can be adjusted to any camera weight whereas the 516 is balanced for just one weight primarily. I truly like the Sachtlers (I have the DV-1), but their heads are very expensive if you want anything more than a DV-4 (and I do). Miller stuff is unholy-expensive and nothing makes a good fit for me.

So for now I put in an order for the 516 and we'll see how it goes. I'd prefer the Cartoni, but I can't wait 2-4 weeks for it unfortunately. (This is what I get for waiting). Any ideas on where to get one would be appreciated.

BTW, I'm getting the Bogen 3191 sticks.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search
Old September 13th, 2006, 01:24 PM   #70
Regular Crew

cartoni

check with zgc that's where i got mine from .
S. Abdul Jamal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2006, 02:48 PM   #71
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Bakala
Bogen heads are not fluid - they are friction..
Is this true. How come BH Photo says they are fluid ?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

For instance 501 description is:

With payload capacity of 13.2 lbs, the 501 fluid head is designed to support the latest range of small, professional digital cameras, offering the best price and performance for a head of this size. Light but positive fluid movement provides exceptionally smooth control through 360° pan and +90 to -60° tilt. It also has Teflon friction adjustment to increase drag, and separate pan and tilt locks. Other features include a built-in spirit level and a quick-release sliding plate for balancing the camera with 1/4" and 3/8" screws, plus VHS location pin.
Old September 13th, 2006, 03:25 PM   #72
Major Player

Thanks for the reference, Abdul. I called them up. Travis was very polite and helpful, but alas it appears they are out of stock there as well...

I did find one place that has the F101 system in stock (because I called corporate), but they are much more expensive than anywhere else. I may just have to stick with the original plan and see how the Bogen works out.

Also, I found this post by a Manfrotto Product Manager who said that their heads are in fact "true" fluid heads. Not sure why everyone says they're not.
It's about half way down:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...d%22+manfrotto
Old September 13th, 2006, 03:37 PM   #73
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Terpstra
Thanks for the reference, Abdul. I called them up. Travis was very polite and helpful, but alas it appears they are out of stock there as well...

I did find one place that has the F101 system in stock (because I called corporate), but they are much more expensive than anywhere else. I may just have to stick with the original plan and see how the Bogen works out.

Also, I found this post by a Manfrotto Product Manager who said that their heads are in fact "true" fluid heads. Not sure why everyone says they're not.
It's about half way down:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...d%22+manfrotto
Chad, thanks for the link. That explained the issue pretty well ....
Old September 13th, 2006, 07:51 PM   #74
Regular Crew

Do yourself a favor and avoid those junky Bogen heads at all costs. The Cartoni Focus is nice and perfect for that camera, you will need a 100mm ball tripod though. Try EVSOnline.com if you cant find it anywhere else.

Mike
Mike Testin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2006, 09:50 PM   #75
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Testin
Do yourself a favor and avoid those junky Bogen heads at all costs. The Cartoni Focus is nice and perfect for that camera, you will need a 100mm ball tripod though. Try EVSOnline.com if you cant find it anywhere else.

Mike
I'm going to try, but they don't appear to be in stock anywhere. I don't want to pay out the nose for one either.

BTW, what do you think about the stock Cartoni F101 legs? I know they're not magic, but in case I need to buy a kit rather than just the head, are they as good or better than the Bogen 3191 legs? I like that these can extent outwards in order to go lower. Can the Cartoni legs do this? I would miss those extra 5 inches as well... :-(

What unfortunate bad timing... ZGC said they wouldn't get more for another 4-6 weeks! Customer with money, Cartoni! Hello? ? ?
Chad Terpstra is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads