JVC GY-HD100 Tripod Mount - Page 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old October 31st, 2006, 11:09 AM   #106
Regular Crew

I use the bogen 525 with bogen 503 head - its fine for shots with a stable base - but is tricky for dollie shots - I would prefer something heavier.
Ben Chace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2006, 11:35 AM   #107
Regular Crew

I use Miller Solo DV Carbon Fiber sticks with a Sachtler DV6SB Head. The combination is light and reasonably sturdy, makes for easy packing in or carrying up stairs! The sticks are quick and easy to set up. When I need a bit more stability, I hang a sandbag in the center of the sticks.

I had a 503, but found the lubricated friction head not smooth enough on pans, tilts etc. The Sachtler is a true fluid head.

I prefer working with an even larger head, like the Sachtler Video 20P, but problem is the balance springs, even on the lightest setting, are too strong for this light a camera.

Hope this helps.

Gary
Gary Morris McBeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2006, 11:41 AM   #108
Major Player

I use Bogen/Manfrotto 3181 legs with a 505/3465 head. Works like a charm when fully loaded with matte box, Dionic, etc.
Tim Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2006, 02:04 PM   #109
Major Player

Sachtler dv 4 with sachtler aluminum sticks, so far this setup has worked pretty well for me but I could see some people having issues with the head only having 2 levels of drag. The Sachtler dv4 is pretty amazing if your going from like a bogen 501 because you can pan/tilt without jerking or having to loosen the head so the camera doesnt tip over. I have a second hd100 and I am going order the cartoni GAMMA for it.
Jonathan Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2006, 08:41 AM   #110
Major Player

Hi,

All of this info is helpful. Thanks a bunch for the replies.

I have Bogen 3046 legs but the head isn't the best one to use with the HD100. I'm thinking I can change the head and use a sandbag as Gary suggested.

I also have an older tripod, an MTE. The legs are very sturdy but will require the camera plate. Can you tell me if the camera plate for the HD100 fits all brands of tripods or is there a specific one that I would need to fit the MTE with the HD100? All of the cameras I have had prior to the HD100 did not require the big plate. I was able to just screw it into the small removeable plate that is on my Bogen.

Thanks again for the input.
Lisa Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2006, 12:11 PM   #111
Regular Crew

Lisa,

Regarding the small tripod head plate vs the JVC tripod plate: I believe the JVC will fit all tripods; you just attach the small tripod head plate to the JVC plate, and then you snap the camera in and out of the JVC plate. I just do as you did before, I attached the Sachtler small plate directly to the bottom of the JVC camera, and snap it in and out of the Sachtler head. It attaches to the camera the same way it attaches to the larger plate, with the supplied screws.

Gary
Old November 1st, 2006, 01:31 PM   #112
Regular Crew

Lisa,

Follow up to my last post: not all the small tripod head plates snap in easily, like the Sachtler does; my 503 plate slid in, and tended to get jammed or stuck if I didn't get it started square. A JVC plate would be a benefit here. Dont know about the other brands.

If I can make one suggestion, Hi-def needs to shot rock steady; the larger screens and higher resolution tend to give people jitters if it is shaky. So, whatever head you buy, try to make it a true fluid head, and not a lubricated friction plate head. When talking to reps on this issue, pin them down; a lot of advertised "fluid heads" are really friction heads. The friction heads I've had tend to get "stuck" and start pans or tilts with a jerk.

Best thing is to go to a video trade show where all the tripods are on display and try them out with the same camera you have, and talk to the factory reps.

Hope this helps.

Gary
Old November 1st, 2006, 05:03 PM   #113
Major Player

Hi Gary,

Yes it has helped. Thank you for telling me about Sachtler DV6SB head. I'm going to check into this one. I haven't worked with one before but it sounds like it's working out great for you. Glad to hear of it.

Thank you,
Lisa
Lisa Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2007, 10:53 AM   #114
Major Player

I also have the HD100 with the AB Dionic 90 on it (and shotgun and wireless receiver). With the mounting plate, it comes in just over 11 lbs.

I'm considering a Libec tripod, as "bang for the buck" is a driving factor and I'm limited on resources. Two models interest me, the LS-38 and the LS-55. Both tripods seem to be sized correctly - 8 to 18 and 8 to 22 lbs, respectively.

It is my understanding that the 55 model adds a two-stage drag mode. Is this the only real difference? is there any other reason to pay $250 more for the 55?

Thanks,
Ted OMalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2007, 03:47 PM   #115
Major Player

Best tripod for the GY-HD110u.

Hello
what do you think is the best tripod for the 110u.
do you know of any good use ones around?
thank you
Joe
Joseph A. Benoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2007, 04:15 PM   #116
Major Player

Hi Joseph,

That's a very, very, very, broad question. There are a staggering number of best tripods for this cam.

Let's start with your buget...

What is it?
Justin Ferar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2007, 04:24 PM   #117
Major Player

Tripods

Only about $400-$500
with camera and the deck i'm a little tapped out
thank you
Joe
Joseph A. Benoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2007, 05:14 PM   #118
Major Player

Hmmm, that might be a small budget for a serious sturdy tripod...

But is depends: do you use IDX or A/B mount and do you use a tripod adapter plate?
Old March 25th, 2007, 06:05 PM   #119
Obstreperous Rex

Moved from JVC Pro HD to Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads. I'm pretty sure this is a Frequently Asked Question, so please search for an existing discussion and reply directly. Thanks in advance,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2007, 07:09 AM   #120
Major Player

Libec LS-55

I just went with a Libec - and couldn't be happier! It's priced like a Bogen, but is really smooth.

Libec makes a smaller one that will support the HD110 in your price range, but this one is really sweet, if you can swing it!
Ted OMalley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads