JVC GY-HD100 Tripod Mount - Page 9 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old March 27th, 2007, 12:21 PM   #121
Major Player

We use the Libec LS-55 as well.

They are not built to withstand rough run and gun shooting. But they are light and you can't beat the price and performance. If you baby them they are fine. If you are not using a pro battery system you could go with the lower model.
Justin Ferar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2007, 09:41 PM   #122
New Boot

I am using a Vinten Vision 3 with my HD100u, and the Anton Bauer mount. With the JVC adapter plate its rock solid. Its a little more than you said your budget was, but its worth every penny!
Jason Knoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2007, 07:40 PM   #123
Major Player

Tripod

Hello again
i've been looking at bogen 501 head with tripod bogen 475
what do you think ? its for the hd110u
thank you
Joe Benoit
Joseph A. Benoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2007, 07:14 AM   #124
Regular Crew

Joseph,

I have been using a 501 head with a Sony ZIP and on wider shots, it works fine. When fully-zoomed however, it takes a jerk to start the pan or tilt. I only rec this for smaller camcorders and not something like your JVC. There is no counterbalance and is just an ok head.

Some others have commented, get the Vision 3 and dun look back. This would most prob be a one-time investment and you would want to get it right.

Cheers

WeeHan
Yeo Wee Han is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2007, 09:15 AM   #125
Regular Crew

Tripod choice.

I posted this before, but have gotten no response, so thought I would try here.

After my Sachlter DV4 collapsed,
I am currently debating between getting a Sachtler 18 or an oconnor 1030hd.
Has anyone had experience with these tripods. I had the hd110U, loaded down with anton bauer system, monitor, wireless mics, and mattebox so the weight adds up.

I am want a tripod that will last me a long time, and through many cameras. I am amazed by how much these things costs, but I am willing to bite the bullet, and make an investment that will last, instead of keep buying budget sticks that break.

I have found both tripods used that will fit in my budget.
And advice much appreciated.

Thanks
Ben

ps. Good to see you on this forum Bob Jones. I don't know if you remember me, but I ordered your skycrane in Portland, Or.
Ben Garvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2007, 10:40 AM   #126
Sponsor: SkyCrane

Heavy lift'n

Hello Ben,

Bob Jones here from Nightshift Enterprises, home of the Skycrane.

This is pretty much the same posting I gave to another member a day or so ago.

Ben, if your looking for a ROCK SOLID tripod, take a hard look at the "Bogen 3051", It's the tripod I recommend to support my jibs.

The "3051" is an extremely robust tripod and it's not what you'd describe as a light weight.

You can often find them on Ebay for a fraction of the retail price.
If purchased new they're still modestly priced. I believe retail is around $240.00 to $275.00

The "3051" has internal locks that can be released by (for lack of a better term) "thumb buttons" at the head of the tripod, a very cool feature.

The "3051" is way underrated in terms of its weight capacity.

Hope this info helps.

Cheers
Bob Jones

I cut it twice and it's still to short...
Old April 6th, 2007, 01:21 PM   #127
Major Player

Both the Sachtler Video 18 and OConnor 1030 are very good fluid heads and are very common in professional use. You can't really go wrong with either one at this level. The main differences have to do with preferences. The Sachtler has step drag while the OConnor has continuous drag. The Sachtler probably weighs less than the OConnor but the OConnor has a better and more versatile counterbalance system, which can go continuously down to zero. I have an OCOnnor Ultimate DV, which is exactly the same as the 1030 except it's smaller and holds less weight, and I'm happy with it. I'm surprised you can get a 1030HD for that price though. Maybe it's a 1030B? The 1030HD is the same, just with lower drag and a black color but it's newer and goes for $5K brand new.
Tim Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2007, 03:20 PM   #128
Regular Crew

Bogen meaning 'broken' that is

Bob,
From personal experience, I wouldn't go near anything Bogen with a ten foot pole. Especially trusting my hd110 on a set of bogen sticks.

Every tripod set I have had from them seems to have a problem of one sort or other, besides the lack of performace compared to the higher end models. I have had a head that would go in and out of sticking while panning, legs break, bolts pop off. Even on bogen sets for my still cameras. I generally think bogens are overated, and they have become more about the name than actual real solid perfomance.

Sachtlers are nice, but seem really overpriced in the lower range, I'm talking about everything from my DV4, to the DV8. After testing the oconnor, it is more expensive, but seems like your getting every dime back you're paying for.

Last edited by Ben Garvey; April 6th, 2007 at 07:53 PM.
Ben Garvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2007, 01:24 AM   #129
Wrangler

I got a O'Connor 1030B/25L CF sticks combo in December, and it's tremendous. That after trying every head/sticks combo I could get my hands on in Burbank for a week.
Old May 7th, 2007, 04:14 PM   #130
New Boot

I am using the JVC HD250's and am totally loving my new tripod. I got the Cartoni Focus head and the Cartoni Composite 2 stage legs. Its lightweight enough to feel portable, and heavyweight enough to feel stable. The focus head, especially, is fantastic. You could save a little cash with single stage legs, or aluminum legs.
Scott R. Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2007, 12:47 PM   #131
Tourist

O'connor overkill?

I'm toying with the idea of buying an old O'connor 50D fluid head to support my JVC GY-HD111 kit. Loaded with IDX battery pack and mattebox etc. it's a fairly weighty set-up, but still nowhere near the O'connor's optimal balancing weight of around 30-35 pounds. If I go ahead, what kind of performance can I expect from the O'connor? Will it still facilitate smooth tilt/pan moves or simply prove too cumbersome for my purposes?
I would dearly welcome the benefit of your expert advice,
Many thanx,
Toby.
Toby French is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2007, 11:52 AM   #132
Major Player

ITE 40 head work???

Can someone tell me if an ITE 40 head will work with a jvc gy-hd100u? What adapter kit, if any, is needed?

I have an ITE 40 but no plate...is there someplace I can buy only the plate to work with the hd100u?

Thank you
Lisa
Lisa Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2007, 01:29 PM   #133
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath Vinyard View Post
I was hoping someone could point me in the direction of a halfway decent tripod for the HD100 for around/under $500?

Also, could someone explain what exactly the tripod adapter is for? Is this like a quick release?

Thank you.
AINT NONE... I got a Manfroto 501 and 1021 sticks... Just don't. I might sell you mine for cheap when i get a Sachtler or maybe a Miller DS20.. or maybe just take the cheap route and get a Manfroto 516 to get me through the summer....
Alex Humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2007, 01:42 PM   #134
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Johnson View Post
Not to offend anyone, but I just wanted throw this in there since I own a 501 and its being discussed. I really thought it sucked. I eventually stopped using it for any kind of professional work, and just rented better tripods. There's a new Gitzo that some guys are really liking (1380 or something like that?). I know funding can be tough, but I swear, its better to wait and buy something that really works well. I felt that in the end my 501 was just a waste of money. Again, I'm just one opinion, others may not agree, and that doesn't mean they're wrong. I should mention that I like a really nice heavy feel to my head. I find its hard to get smooth movement with light action. Some people are just the opposite.
I second the 501 feeling as a waste of money. Just wondering if the 516 is enough better to stick with the brand or go Miller or Sachell or Cartoni. I was at the JVC HD seminar last week in SF. Tried out all those tripods (above) are light years better than my 501. 501 looks pro, but works like a $70 sony tripod.
Alex Humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2007, 05:11 PM   #135
Regular Crew

Good Results using HD100 with 519 Head & 525 Sticks

I have been using the Bogen / Manfrotto 519 Pro Video Fluid Head (75 mm; Supports 22 lb ) and the 525 sticks for nearly 2 years supporting batteries, wireless kits and other accessories and they work very well together. Pricing was around $1,500 CAN but you certainly notice the difference over the 501 or 503 head.
I would definitely recommend using at least the 516 or the 519 if you are considering Manfrotto. If you have a little more to invest, some of the other suggestions above, such as Gitzo or Cartoni or Sachtler, are excellent choices.
Michael Lafleur is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads