JVC GY-HD100 Tripod Mount at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old January 31st, 2006, 09:03 AM   #1
New Boot

Decent? Bogen 351MVB2 / 503

I need a decent tripod for the new HD100, and I was leaning towards this set.

Bogen / Manfrotto
351MVB2 Aluminum Video Tripod Kit with 75mm Half Bowl and 3460 (503) Pro Head, Mid-Level Spreader, Rubber Shoes & Padded case - Supports 17.6 lbs

Any thoughts or comments? I know there are better 1k+ options out there, but I need to stay as low $$ as possible without going to crap, and many seem to like the 503 head.

Thanks
Old January 31st, 2006, 12:44 PM   #2
Major Player

i thought this was a good kit for the money. the only thing i don't like about mine was that i broke the spreader right after i got it. have been using it without-seems fine. i'm more of an audio guy than camera op, but thought the head was pretty smooth. i can replicate moves i see friends do on bigger/$$$ broadcast rigs. my hd100 only has a wireless rx and a dionic 90 hanging on it, but the 503 handles that weight just fine, and balances too with the stock plate, but only just. might have to upgrade to the jvc plate if i add any more weight on the back.
Greg Bellotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2006, 01:00 PM   #3
New Boot

Terrific. Just the kind of response I needed. I put my order in just now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Bellotte
i thought this was a good kit for the money. the only thing i don't like about mine was that i broke the spreader right after i got it. have been using it without-seems fine. i'm more of an audio guy than camera op, but thought the head was pretty smooth. i can replicate moves i see friends do on bigger/$$$ broadcast rigs. my hd100 only has a wireless rx and a dionic 90 hanging on it, but the 503 handles that weight just fine, and balances too with the stock plate, but only just. might have to upgrade to the jvc plate if i add any more weight on the back.
Old February 1st, 2006, 03:12 AM   #4
Major Player

2nd That

Hi mark,

I'll second that. I know you have placed your order and you have made a good choice imo. I have that set up with jvc plate and although it is not true fluid I still get really smooth pans. I looked at stuff up to the £1000 mark and reps were saying that the Manfrotto won't give you the longevity of a sachtler for example but for the interim period its a fairly good bang for buck. I have a Cavision Matte box on the front and idx kit which is fine. However, I will be getting the dr hd100 in the next few days and don't know if this may push the head. I'll let you know how I get on.

Regards, Greg C.
Greg Corke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2006, 08:51 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Best Tripod Under $2000 for HD100?

As a newcomer, I truly appreciate the wisdom of many of you on the Network.

I am a Toronto-based, new HDV user who is in the process of buying a JVC HD100 primarily to create documentary-style promo videos for several NGO charities working with at-risk youth and social disadvantaged families in this region. I also plan on shooting footage in Malawi alongside some close friends who are doing humanitarian work among the extremely poor in Africa to help raise awareness as part of the “Make Poverty History” movement. I have a limited budget and am very close to the end of my $$$, having selected and settled on the camera, basic lighting, wireless audio, and a portable power kit. And while I would be open to your advise on any of these matters, what I really have no sense of which way to go for a suitable but affordable tripod for the HD 100U.

I know many of you have extensive experience in the industry and your shooting requirements are far beyond where I am presently at. But you know this camera better than anyone around and I would greatly appreciate any suggestions as to what Tripod you would recommend for me at this stage. Thanks!!

Last edited by Michael Lafleur; February 1st, 2006 at 08:54 AM. Reason: Typos
Michael Lafleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2006, 08:59 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Lafleur
As a newcomer, I truly appreciate the wisdom of many of you on the Network.

I am a Toronto-based, new HDV user who is in the process of buying a JVC HD100 primarily to create documentary-style promo videos for several NGO charities working with at-risk youth and social disadvantaged families in this region. I also plan on shooting footage in Malawi alongside some close friends who are doing humanitarian work among the extremely poor in Africa to help raise awareness as part of the “Make Poverty History” movement. I have a limited budget and am very close to the end of my $$$, having selected and settled on the camera, basic lighting, wireless audio, and a portable power kit. And while I would be open to your advise on any of these matters, what I really have no sense of which way to go for a suitable but affordable tripod for the HD 100U.

I know many of you have extensive experience in the industry and your shooting requirements are far beyond where I am presently at. But you know this camera better than anyone around and I would greatly appreciate any suggestions as to what Tripod you would recommend for me at this stage. Thanks!!

Hi Michael!
I'm based in Windsor, Ontario and I also use the HD100. (BTW: I just ordered my second one two days ago.) Anyway I use the Gitzo tripod-head combination, and I tell you for the money it's excellemt.

Laszlo
Laszlo Horvath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2006, 09:12 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks, Laszlo

Nice to know guys like you and Tim are 'nearby'. What specific model and configuration of Gitzo are you using and did you look at any other makes/models?
Old February 1st, 2006, 09:26 AM   #8
Major Player

I'm using a Libec H30 (II) head with T33 legs and it works excellent. it should be about only half your budget...
Werner Wesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2006, 09:39 AM   #9
Major Player

SACHTLER SB6 with 2-stage legs
-fluid head
-illuminated bubble
-good selection of pan and tilt drag
-counterbalance

I bought it from a US supplier (I am in Canada too) and it cost me around USD $2,100.00 - yes, I know you asked for sticks under $2k but in my oppinion the Sachtler is worth every penny. Oh, and BTW, it came with a hard (tube) case, great for air travel.
Old February 1st, 2006, 09:50 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Thanks for the responses... I'm checking them out right now.

Anyone familiar with the new line from Cartoni Focus AL2 – 2 stage system?
Here are some of the specs:
The Focus head comes equipped with a quick release sliding camera plate, illuminated spirit level and orientable pan bar. Its tilting angle is +/-90° with perfect response throughout the entire tilt range. It interfaces with all 100mm bowl base tripods and supports.

FLUID HEAD SPECIFICATIONS

• Payload capacity: 2.2 – 22 lbs
• Weight: 4.4 lbs
• Pan Range: 360°
• Tilt Range: +/- 90°
• Counterbalance: Continuous
• Fluid Drag: Continuous
• Bowl Diameter: 100 mm
• Temperature Range: -40° to +158° F
Old February 1st, 2006, 09:56 AM   #11
Major Player

Gitzo has only one video head. If I'm right the model # is1380 (I'm not home now so I can't check) The legs are your choice, they have so many. I use the three stage aluminium legs, so I can raise the cam very high if I need to. But they hava a very nice carbon fiber too. Those much lighter, but double the money.
Shactler is much bigger name, may better too, but was too expensive too me. (I bought two at the same time)
But again, this is extramely smooth, well worth the money

Laszlo
Laszlo Horvath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2006, 10:38 AM   #12
Major Player

FYI (I know it doesn't make much sense but this is how the industry refers to the different types of tripod legs):

One-stage: two parts (one extension), one lock per leg
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

Two-stage: three parts (two extensions), usually two locks (sometimes one lever locks both)
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation
Old February 1st, 2006, 10:45 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Thanks, Jiri,

The Sachtler system you remmended looks great! It may be too expensive for my budget. Did you find any competive pricing in Canada? I'm a little hesitant to have to ship back to the states for warranty work

Are you or anyone else familiarity with the Cartoni and HD100 - ie. the Focus AL2 (3 stage;, thanks for the correction) system?
Old February 1st, 2006, 11:24 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Another new HD100 user looking for Tripod recommendations

Hi Mark and the 2 Gregs,

Thanks for your insights. I'm looking for the same kind of set-up, but have a little more to spend if necessary. (see another Thread I opened today) What's the difference between the 501 and 503 heads? Why did you go with the legs that you chose as I believe

Have any of you considered the Cartoni Focus AL2 system? It's more money but seems to handle larger loads. I have no personal experience with any of these systems.

Thanks
Old February 1st, 2006, 12:08 PM   #15
Trustee

I like the Libec LZ-70. It may be of interest to you.

good luck...
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads