DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Tripod Sticks & Heads (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/)
-   -   Tripod heads (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/773-tripod-heads.html)

John Klein January 24th, 2002 12:16 PM

Tripod heads

I was just reading about the Bogen 501 and 503 heads.

I was thinking of going with the 503 because of the spring. I just read in a different thread that the spring was kind of bad because it tries to re-center itself.

I use the 3063 right now and while it's good (maybe great) for handicams, I haven't been totally happy with it on the XL1. Once you add some drag to keep it from "dropping," it gets too sticky for my taste. I shoot from a balcony down a level, sometimes with the 1.6 extender and felt the spring in the 503 might be better.

So which one is it? the 501 or 503?

I'd just like to balance out the center of gravity. Any heads in the $200 range which allow this? I might just make a counter weight and live with it.

Also what about the "ball" designs?

John Locke January 24th, 2002 12:28 PM

Hi JoPhoto,

Despite all the advise to the contrary, I've been "getting by" fine with the 501 for quite a while. It does require a bit steadier hand...and in this respect, buying the extra pan handle for the left side can help quite a bit. I trust everyone's opinion here that the 503 is smoother...I just didn't have that available on hand to try when I bought my 501.

My thinking is this, though...until my budget allows laying down the cash for something like a Miller setup (something I drooled over when I bought the 501 but couldn't bring myself to putting down that much cash on the table), getting by as cheaply as possible is best.

In other words, if you're dead set on getting a Mercedes convertible, why buy a new Ford Taurus in the meantime? Just get the cheapest transportation you can find that is dependable and keep saving for that dream car!

Rob Lohman January 25th, 2002 03:28 AM

I here everyone talking about Miller now. I was wondering
if this company has a website and in what price range they
sell their "perfect" systems.

Thanks

Chris Hurd January 25th, 2002 03:49 AM

Complete Millers, sticks and head, are close to $2000 USD. Will get more info for you as soon as I can. They are definitely out of *my* price range but I'd love to have one.

Chris Ferrer February 1st, 2002 08:12 AM

Does anyone have any info on the Libec/Mathews series, specifically the LS-35? I was told by a dealer that sells both Bogen and Mathews that the LS-35 was by far a better tripod and better deal for the money. He was talking in the $550 range for complete setup, head, legs, spreader. Any info would be great as I am planning on getting something soon!

Chris

gratedcheese February 1st, 2002 05:44 PM

Rob:

I found this site on Google concerning Miller tripods. I didn't actually check out the site, but it seems to be the Miller company.

http://www.miller.com.au/miller_network.htm

Adrian Douglas February 1st, 2002 08:17 PM

Rob

Check out this link

http://www.miller.com.au/Product_Centre/index.htm

The DS5 and DS10 series systems are designed to suit the GL1/XL1

gratedcheese February 1st, 2002 08:30 PM

oops!

I later checked the site from google, and it didn't lead anywhere.

Sorry!

Rob Lohman February 2nd, 2002 10:00 AM

Thanks, checking it out

Ken Tanaka February 3rd, 2002 12:28 AM

FWIW, I recently got a Miller DS10 rig for my XL1 / XL1s. It's absolutely a higher level of product engineering than the Bogen/Manfrotto line. And, indeed, it is designed with the XL1's characteristics in mind.

Bruce Moore February 3rd, 2002 10:50 PM

I use an XL-1 with a Bogen 3221 tripod, with a 501 head, and a Bogen compact leveling head (BG3502, Adorama,$60+/-
Great Combination!

John Klein February 5th, 2002 01:18 PM

I guess I should re-name the post, $500 tripods. Or Bogen 501 / 503 comparison.

My main concern is the droopyness of heads when cradling the xl1, sometimes with a 1.6x.

The spring factor is what interests as well as frightens me. I want to be able to have the head be loose enough for small movements, without the droop or springback complications.

Edward Troxel February 5th, 2002 01:45 PM

We use the Bogen 501 with our XL-1. With just the standard camera, I have found that it has to be place as far back as possible to help prevent the droop. You may also have to tighten it up slightly which can sometimes lead to some jerky movements up and down. With the MA-100 and wireless receiver on the back, I have to place the camera as far forward as possible to get the right balance. But, the head itself performs very well. I believe it would perform even better using the optional second handle. And, you may want to consider using a longer handle to help smooth out the movements.

Sam Houchins II July 25th, 2003 09:42 PM

Re: Tripod heads

<<<-- Originally posted by John Klein : I was just reading about the Bogen 501 and 503 heads.

I use the 3063 right now and while it's good (maybe great) for handicams, I haven't been totally happy with it on the XL1. Once you add some drag to keep it from "dropping," it gets too sticky for my taste. I shoot from a balcony down a level, sometimes with the 1.6 extender and felt the spring in the 503 might be better.

So which one is it? the 501 or 503?-->>>

I know it was a long time ago since your post, but I'm in a similar decision point now with a vx2000, and I was wondering how your decision "panned" out? Which did you choose to replace your 3063, and was it a worthwhile upgrade?
Thanks

Jacques Mersereau July 26th, 2003 09:21 AM

I've posted this answer a couple of time here,
but when I was a NAB I tried every tripod I could find.
Miller, Libtec, Cartoni, Bogen, Sachtler, Gitzo, O'Conner and Vinten.

If you pay $2000, you'll like what you buy, don't misunderstand me, BUT
I went with the Vinten Vison 3 two stage. The cool thing about the
Vinten is that you can switch springs, so just the other day I went
from using a peewee EZ-30 on one shoot to a big Panasonic AJ-D400
the next. The bad thing is how "unengineered" the tripod plate
attaches.

IMO, the Vinten was also the smoothest of all. I am able to even
pan and get great results when using an XL1 w/ EOS/100-400 mm
at full zoom.